Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 05:42 PM

34 posts, read 46,687 times

Advertisements

Driving by this McDonald's is always a dead giveaway that it used to be a KFC. The "bucket" sign is now a fry box sign. When did this KFC open and close? I recall the KFC closed in 2005-ish, and then the Big Lots on Evers/410 closed a year later. From what I can see the Las Palapas in that area looks like it's in a former 70's-80's KFC building. I think the KFC/McDonald's was built in the mid to late 90's from what I can tell. Help me put the pieces of my nostalgia together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:38 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
The Las Palapas building is indeed a former KFC, which dated back to the early 1970s. I remember stopping at that KFC for lunch on a few occasions when I worked in that area in the late 1970s. Las Palapas has been there since the early 2000s, and I seem to recall the building sat vacant for a period of time (maybe even a few years) between the KFC and Las Palapas occupancy.

I'm not sure about the dates on the KFC/McDonald's, but 2005 for the closing of McDonald's and 2006 for Big Lots sounds about right.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The Las Palapas building is indeed a former KFC, which dated back to the early 1970s. I remember stopping at that KFC for lunch on a few occasions when I worked in that area in the late 1970s. Las Palapas has been there since the early 2000s, and I seem to recall the building sat vacant for a period of time (maybe even a few years) between the KFC and Las Palapas occupancy.

I'm not sure about the dates on the KFC/McDonald's, but 2005 for the closing of McDonald's and 2006 for Big Lots sounds about right.
That's interesting to hear. I wonder why KFC didn't make it? Maybe because of the combo KFC/Taco Bell up 410 near Ingram Park Mall.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockerSupergirl View Post
That's interesting to hear. I wonder why KFC didn't make it? Maybe because of the combo KFC/Taco Bell up 410 near Ingram Park Mall.
That's kind of correct. The KFC's in town went from being corporate to franchise. The new owner was already established here, owning all the Taco Bells. He started merging the restaurants and closing some of the stand alone KFC's. I remember that one closing and the one on Bitters and 281, and on Walzem Rd.

He eventually sold and retired, the new owners are based out of Arizona. They are actively building new Taco Bells and splitting up the existing KFC/Taco Bells. Eventually there will be no more KFC/Taco Bells here.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky2803 View Post
That's kind of correct. The KFC's in town went from being corporate to franchise. The new owner was already established here, owning all the Taco Bells. He started merging the restaurants and closing some of the stand alone KFC's. I remember that one closing and the one on Bitters and 281, and on Walzem Rd.

He eventually sold and retired, the new owners are based out of Arizona. They are actively building new Taco Bells and splitting up the existing KFC/Taco Bells. Eventually there will be no more KFC/Taco Bells here.
What?! No more KFC Taco Bells in SA?! I am sure gonna miss eating fire doritos tacos with a side of mac and cheese. Am also worried about the future of the Carl's Jr on SW Military.

I heard that they are knocking down all the city KFC's and Taco Bells for remodeling.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:03 AM

6 posts, read 7,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockerSupergirl View Post
What?! No more KFC Taco Bells in SA?! I am sure gonna miss eating fire doritos tacos with a side of mac and cheese. Am also worried about the future of the Carl's Jr on SW Military.

I heard that they are knocking down all the city KFC's and Taco Bells for remodeling.
They will be around for a while. It's a slow process. A good indicator will be if you see a Taco Bell being built really close to an existing KFC/Taco Bell. For example, they built a new Taco Bell pretty much across the street from the KFC/Taco Bell on Walzem. As soon as the Taco Bell opened they closed the KFC/Taco Bell to remodel it into just a KFC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio