Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times

Advertisements

This was a game a co-worker and I played for years as we shouted over our cubes….we used to try to think of the names of places that don't exist anymore. I commented, when I was a kid, my dentist was on the second floor of North Star Mall across from Frost brothers (what is now the Saks wing, directly above the Victorias Secret). And there used to be a big concrete spiral staircase that lead up to it. It got us talking about all the changes to the mall. Do you remember there used to be a Theater at NorthStar mall (Where the Italian restaurant is now), and before the old food court there was only 2 places to eat besides luby's, The Tall Texan (next to the theater) and Mr. Dunderbox. Remember Rhodes Department store..it was in the basement of northstar mall(the entrance/exit is where the Eddie Bauer store was. ?
Well, that lead us to talking about all the "Places That Don't Exist in San Antonio anymore." And we aren't talking about the low hanging fruit like Joske's and Playland Park and Handy Andy. My buddy and I are both in our 30's and grew up in the Wurzbach & I-10 area. When my parents bought their first house in 1968, Wurzbach was a dirt road... no joke, I wish someone had a photo of that. We can remember when there was no Albertsons, no Colonnade. We remember when all the action was at the Colonies North Mall .... where there was a 2 screen movie theater, several nightclubs (San Antonio Rose, Images, and several others)...Dante's Pizza, J's Ice House. And on the backside was Hickory Hut BBQ. There used to be Radio Shack and Whopper Burger in the parking lot of the HEB on Wurzbach & I-10. [/SIZE]

With that being said, all these other things come to mind.
Food & Drink
- G.W. Jr.s(the best foot long chili dogs) - what became Sombrero Rosa on Wurzbach and several other locations
- Wolfe's Inn...fancy restaurant in an old mansion, was knocked down for the Gradys and then Hooters on Wurzbach.
- Pancake house (The Kettle) next to the Pizza hut on Wurzbach.
- Sambos diner on Vance Jackson & I-10 next to the post office
- Whopper Burger - Various locations around town, many became Murfs/burger boy.
- Frontier Burger - various locations (I remember you could sit on saddles at Windsor park mall).
- Fargos Pizza (remember the theater room with the old black & white horror movies)
- Shakey's Pizza - On Fredericksburg near wonderland, My mother still uses the glass mugs from there as frosted mugs.
- Godfathers Pizza
- Mr. Ghatti's Pizza (I know there is still Ghattiland)
- Conan's Pizza - don't remember where
- Pantera's Pizza - Were they only in San Marcos?
- Pizza Inn - various locations
- The Spanish Galleon, San Pedro & Oblate (there was the big pirate ship sticking out of the strip center with the HEB)
- Rapid Rabbit - place that served rabbit meat on Wurzbach, I think Stevie ate there.
- The Black Cow on Fredricksburg
- A-Frame Whataburgers, (I think the remaining few have been converted into used car lots)
- Sizzler Steak house - various locations
- Christie's Seafood on Broadway (now a whataburger)
- Stuart Anderson's Cattlemens Club - ( Then Piranhas, then Hollywood café, Sharky's, now Sugars)
- Globemart then K-mart now Graham Central Station on Fredricksburg
- The cinnamon twist place in North Star, it had the display with animatronics eleves(at the entrance to the old food court) What the hell is the name? Nobody can seem to remember.
- Pat's Hot Dogs (Wurzbach & Ironside, then Sunova Beach, then Sea Island, now a Blockbuster)
- Coney Island Hot dogs on St.Mary's, downtown (now backside of the Valencia hotel)
- Hoolihans bar in North Star (present day Cheesecake Factory)
- Rooty's, Gary DeLong's place (Wasn't that a barrel of fun? Now hooters on 281, and Las Palappas on 410)
- The Upper Crust Bakery, Mardi Gras, Boiling Pot, what is now present day BoneHeadz
- Gallagher's - then Tony Romas, then Al & Mos, now Taco Tote
- Top o the Strip now it is some bridal store (go figure!)
- The original Chesters on Fredrickburg across from USAA, I think it is a flower shop now.
- Red Derby - then Maggies - now nothing.
- Johnny Appleseeds - Med center
- Aunt Julies Kitchen - various locations
- Ninfas - the original was near Malibu/Castle
- Carl's Jr. - Various locations
- Prime Time Burgers
- ????? The family place Wurzbach and Evers with the school bus sticking out of the building, it was the party room.
- Smugglers Inn, then Cappy's, then PT. now Perfect Ten
- Sombero Rosa - various locations
- Alfonsos - various locations
- Wyatt's Caferteria - various mall locations
- El Azteca - various locations- the best Puffy Tacos ever
- Steak & Ale
- Show Biz Pizza & games
- Po' Folks - Fredricksburg
- JoJo's the place with the bubble window near the airport on 410
- Fajita Junction - various locations
- Any business owned by Tommy Krammer - take your pick!

Entertainment:
- The Shenandoah Roller Rink, then Book Stop, now John Williams Interior (Next to Pappasitos).
- Super Slide (the water park near Old San Francisco steak house, how did that huge hill just disappear?).
- Wonderland Theater - present day Dave & Busters.
- Drive-in on Fredericksburg - I think there are apartments there now.
- SPOT - San Pedro Outdoor theater (Hobby Lobby/ old Wal-Mart on bitters & west ave and current Embassy Oaks)
- Central Park Fox Theater
- The rifle range West Ave & Nakoma
- Dallas Night Club - now Fast Eddies
- Zig Zags
- Barbados - now Arjohns, Wasn't that the hot spot during the 80's Miami Vice era?
- Rock Island? How many other clubs was that?
- Cold River -Yuchatans
- Joe Kelly's then the original Acapulco Sams..Lohmans village
- Pelican Wharf - 410
- Earl Hollemans Dinner Theather - now Sun harvest church on 1604
- Meatballs
- Peoples Restaurant
- Doc Holiday pool hall, near Central Park Fox.
- LipStick (airport)
- Country down under - Cowboy Country Club, then Park Place, now nothing.
Retail
- Handy Dan (Now Northern Tool at 410 & VJ), My neighbors hand saw, still has a Handy Dan price tag on it!
- Frost Brothers
- Rhodes Department Store
- Carl's now Bohanan's Steak house on Houston St.
- Frisco Electronics various locations (before there was Best Buy, you would buy your Atari games and walkman here)
- Intelectronics - the fancy electronics stores in Central Park and Ingram malls.
- Toy Box - various locations
- Fed Mart - then target, now Academy on 410 & Vance Jackson
- Mobile Hi-Fi car stereo shop
- Wenchell's, The dounut shop that mobile hi fi moved into on Fredericksburg
- Woolworth - various locations (Home Depot near Wonderland)
- Woolco -Wonderland?
- Bowling Alley behind North Star Mall
- The Army Navy store in front of the Alamo, now I think it is Fuddruckers
- 92.9 KITY radio station
- Pat Magee's Surf Shop - North Star and Ingram
- Elliot's Young Men's Store (North Star & Wonderland)
- Chess King (the Michael Jackson jacket store North Star & Ingram)
- Walgreens - North Star, before there was Foleys, it was on the end.
- Kress inside Northstar Mall (present day Brookstone & Gap)
- Oshmans inside Northstar Mall (where the fountain used to be, I think it is The Limited now, across from Discovery store)
- The Ramada Inn across from North Star (present day circuit city strip mall)
- Best Products
- Handy Andy inside Wonderland and Central Park Malls.
- Skaggs grocery store (used to be the alberstons on Blaco & West Ave)
- Penn Foods - I-10 & Callahagan now Sun Harvets. I can remember they had "Singles night", why can't HEB do that?
- Centenos Super Markets
- La Feria - the mexican department store ( now Hermes Music)
- La Bare -Old School hard bodies, same shopping center as the above mentioned La Feria
- Skillerings drug store (my mom still has prescription medicine with their price tag on it!)
- Sommer Drugs - various locations
- Revco Drugs - various locations
- Winn's - 5&dime(Kids this is where you shopped for everything before there was WalMart & Target)
- TG&Y- 5&dime(kids, this is where you shopped for everything before there was Walmart & Target)
- Davy Jones Locker - record store in Colonies North Mall
- Sound Warehouse - various locations
- Kiddie City - near Windsor Park Mall
- Dyer Electronics
- Datapoint- They were the Microsoft and Dell of their day, right here in SA, bankrupt and moved to France.

Last edited by Primo; 09-12-2007 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: HTML Typos

Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I just remembered a spot my Parents took me to when I was just a small child. The Zuider Zee Seafood restaurant. I don't know where it was,must have been around 1965-67 timeframe, but I remember the huge lobster tank in the entry and that the entrance was shaped like a Dutch Windmill.

Anyone have a recollection of this place and where it was?

P.S. I just found this thread on the Dallas Historical site that talks about the chain history, but nothing specific to the San Antonio location. Zuider Zee history (http://www.dallashistory.org/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=44926 - broken link)

Last edited by johnrex62; 09-12-2007 at 08:23 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 AM

55 posts, read 232,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
This was a game a co-worker and I played for years as we shouted over our cubes….we used to try to think of the names of places that don't exist anymore. I commented, when I was a kid, my dentist was on the second floor of North Star Mall across from Frost brothers (what is now the Saks wing, directly above the Victorias Secret). And there used to be a big concrete spiral staircase that lead up to it. It got us talking about all the changes to the mall. Do you remember there used to be a Theater at NorthStar mall (Where the Italian restaurant is now), and before the old food court there was only 2 places to eat besides luby's, The Tall Texan (next to the theater) and Mr. Dunderbox. Remember Rhodes Department store..it was in the basement of northstar mall(the entrance/exit is where the Eddie Bauer store was. ?
Well, that lead us to talking about all the "Places That Don't Exist in San Antonio anymore." And we aren't talking about the low hanging fruit like Joske's and Playland Park and Handy Andy. My buddy and I are both in our 30's and grew up in the Wurzbach & I-10 area. When my parents bought their first house in 1968, Wurzbach was a dirt road... no joke, I wish someone had a photo of that. We can remember when there was no Albertsons, no Colonnade. We remember when all the action was at the Colonies North Mall .... where there was a 2 screen movie theater, several nightclubs (San Antonio Rose, Images, and several others)...Dante's Pizza, J's Ice House. And on the backside was Hickory Hut BBQ. There used to be Radio Shack and Whopper Burger in the parking lot of the HEB on Wurzbach & I-10. [/SIZE]

Food & Drink
- G.W. Jr.s(the best foot long chili dogs) - what became Sombrero Rosa on Wurzbach and several other locations
- Wolfe's Inn...fancy restaurant in an old mansion, was knocked down for the Gradys and then Hooters on Wurzbach.
- Frontier Burger - various locations (I remember you could sit on saddles at Windsor park mall).
- Fargos Pizza (remember the theater room with the old black & white horror movies)
- Shakey's Pizza - On Fredericksburg near wonderland, My mother still uses the glass mugs from there as frosted mugs.
- Godfathers Pizza
- The Spanish Galleon, San Pedro & Oblate (there was the big pirate ship sticking out of the strip center with the HEB)
- Rapid Rabbit - place that served rabbit meat on Wurzbach, I think Stevie ate there.
- A-Frame Whataburgers, (I think the remaining few have been converted into used car lots)
- Stuart Anderson's Cattlemens Club - ( Then Piranhas, then Hollywood café, Sharky's, now Sugars)
- The cinnamon twist place in North Star, it had the display with animatronics eleves(at the entrance to the old food court) What the hell is the name? Nobody can seem to remember.
- Pat's Hot Dogs (Wurzbach & Ironside, then Sunova Beach, then Sea Island, now a Blockbuster)
- Coney Island Hot dogs on St.Mary's, downtown (now backside of the Valencia hotel)
- Rooty's, Gary DeLong's place (Wasn't that a barrel of fun? Now hooters on 281, and Las Palappas on 410)
- The Upper Crust Bakery, Mardi Gras, Boiling Pot, what is now present day BoneHeadz
- The original Chesters on Fredrickburg across from USAA, I think it is a flower shop now.
- Prime Time Burgers
- ????? The family place Wurzbach and Evers with the school bus sticking out of the building, it was the party room.
- Steak & Ale
- Show Biz Pizza & games

Entertainment:
- The Shenandoah Roller Rink, then Book Stop, now John Williams Interior (Next to Pappasitos).
- Super Slide (the water park near Old San Francisco steak house, how did that huge hill just disappear?).
- SPOT - San Pedro Outdoor theater (Hobby Lobby/ old Wal-Mart on bitters & west ave and current Embassy Oaks)
- Zig Zags
- Barbados - now Arjohns, Wasn't that the hot spot during the 80's Miami Vice era?
- Cold River -Yuchatans
- Pelican Wharf - 410
- Meatballs
- Peoples Restaurant
- LipStick (airport)
Retail
- Handy Dan (Now Northern Tool at 410 & VJ), My neighbors hand saw, still has a Handy Dan price tag on it!
- Frost Brothers
- Frisco Electronics various locations (before there was Best Buy, you would buy your Atari games and walkman here)
- Intelectronics - the fancy electronics stores in Central Park and Ingram malls.
- Woolco -Wonderland?
- Oshmans inside Northstar Mall (where the fountain used to be, I think it is The Limited now, across from Discovery store)
- Best Products
- Penn Foods - I-10 & Callahagan now Sun Harvets. I can remember they had "Singles night", why can't HEB do that?
- Centenos Super Markets
- La Bare -Old School hard bodies, same shopping center as the above mentioned La Feria
- Skillerings drug store (my mom still has prescription medicine with their price tag on it!)
- Winn's - 5&dime(Kids this is where you shopped for everything before there was WalMart & Target)
- TG&Y- 5&dime(kids, this is where you shopped for everything before there was Walmart & Target)
- Dyer Electronics
- Datapoint- They were the Microsoft and Dell of their day, right here in SA, bankrupt and moved to France.
That's IT? Is that all you've got?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post

Food & Drink
- Godfathers Pizza
- Prime Time Burgers
- Steak & Ale
- Show Biz Pizza & games

Entertainment:
- Zig Zags
- Cold River -Yuchatans
- Pelican Wharf - 410
- Meatballs
- Peoples Restaurant
- LipStick (airport)
Retail
- Frost Brothers
- Woolco -Wonderland?
- Best Products
- Centenos Super Markets
- Dyer Electronics
That's a great list. I should know, I was the guy on the other side of the cube. There's a few there even I forgot.

Speaking of things that don't exist anymore:
US Long Distance, Billing Concepts, Billserve, and freakin' Aptis Software (that last one, I try hard to forget!)

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I had lunch at Grady's on Nakoma-281 and they had an old piggly wiggly ad from 1969, question for the experts here. Where were the piggly wiggly located and when did they close?
I know there was defintely one on 4-10 near Marbach, on the left side of the road if you were driving to Lackland. We used to go out to church on base when I was a kid and we drove by that store (sometimes stopped) every Sunday.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM

I just remembered Tin Bucket Cafe by Ingram Mall, near the Solo Serve. I remembered getting buckets of fried shrimp there.

Then there was K-Bob's steakhouses in the 80's. There was one in Boerne that held out until the early 90's, they called it K-Bob's/Mama K's. Giant steaks, cheap price, and a salad wagon.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I just remembered a spot my Parents took me to when I was just a small child. The Zuider Zee Seafood restaurant. I don't know where it was,must have been around 1965-67 timeframe, but I remember the huge lobster tank in the entry and that the entrance was shaped like a Dutch Windmill.

Anyone have a recollection of this place and where it was?

P.S. I just found this thread on the Dallas Historical site that talks about the chain history, but nothing specific to the San Antonio location. Zuider Zee history (http://www.dallashistory.org/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=44926 - broken link)
I may be wrong or mixing it up with something else, but wasn't this on 4-10 near the airport, close to where the Papadeaux is now? I think (again, I could be wrong) this may have become a Boston Sea Party before closing down.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
When I was just a small child in the mid to late 50's there were 3 major grocery stores in San Antonio. Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy and HEB. On the Southeast side of town the Piggly Wiggly was located on the south end of the first McCreless Shopping Village (not to be confused with the Mall). The Handy Andy was a few blocks NE at the intersection of Fair Ave.-Gevers and Goliad Rd. The HEB was just up the street on Goliad Rd less than a block. The buildings that housed the Handy Andy and HEB are still there. The McCreless Shopping Village was torn down to make room for a bigger HEB probably 30 years ago. Here is an interesting fact. Back in the fifty's HEB was very pro-Baptist. They did not sell beer or wine and if you worked at one of the brewery's, as many people at that time did in SA, you were not supposed to wear your brewery work uniform into the store. Of course nowa days HEB has one of the best wine selections in town. I guess money talks.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM

86 posts, read 394,309 times
Something that is gone but not forgotten is the huge open field where the Pecan Valley Country Club and Golf Course is. It was so pretty in the spring with all the flowers and my friends and I would ride our bikes down there (although our moms said not to LOL) and just run through the field. Then we would walk through the "woods" to Salado Creek. It was exciting and kind of scary to go in those woods.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I may be wrong or mixing it up with something else, but wasn't this on 4-10 near the airport, close to where the Papadeaux is now? I think (again, I could be wrong) this may have become a Boston Sea Party before closing down.
I am not sure of where Papadeaux is now, I don't get into SA very often anymore, but if it is where I am thinking it might be, that was Maggies once upon a time.

I don't think it was on 410, but back then 410 was a lot smaller than it is today so I could be wrong. My poor memory put it somewhere inside 410 and on the near NW side like Fredricksburg or Vance Jackson, but it was gone long before I was driving and aware of street names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio