Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
=

One of the elderly women was flagged when the records showed that she had requested a ballot by mail, even though she insisted that she hadn't done so. The poll workers were very nice and told her that they would have to invalidate the mail-in ballot. It was nice to see that at least some sort of effort was being made to prevent voter fraud.
I'm glad to see they responded appropriately. Unfortunately, in another location, when the elderly voter was told they had a mail ballot, they were denied access to vote, until another voter called the Bexar County Elections office to clarify and instruct the officials on-site.

The election officials are supposed to simply invalidate the mail ballots if the person shows up.

ALL people over 65 are sent a mail-ballot, but many are not aware of that. So, likely the women had NOT requested a mail ballot, it was sent automatically. I'm willing to bet she wasn't trying to commit fraud, she had no idea about the mail ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:57 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
To clarify, you don't need a government issued photo ID. Many places have the old sign up - the one that is now invalid.

You can use:
Valid Voter Registration Certificate
Certified Birth Certificate
Recent Utility Bill
Bank Statement
Government check
Any government document with name and address (if the document includes a photo, you must have the original)

THEN you sign a "Declaration of Reasonable Impediment"
Then you vote.

Voters who do not possess and cannot reasonably obtain one of the seven forms of approved photo ID have additional options at the polls

Old 10-26-2016, 10:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
To clarify, you don't need a government issued photo ID. Many places have the old sign up - the one that is now invalid.

You can use:
Valid Voter Registration Certificate
Certified Birth Certificate
Recent Utility Bill
Bank Statement
Government check

Any government document with name and address (if the document includes a photo, you must have the original)

THEN you sign a "Declaration of Reasonable Impediment"
Then you vote.

Voters who do not possess and cannot reasonably obtain one of the seven forms of approved photo ID have additional options at the polls
Lol at this list...

You cannot open a bank account without a valid ID.

You can't cash a check without a valid ID.

You can't obtain a copy of your birth certificate without a valid photo id.

FYI I'm not advocating for voter id laws. I'm just pointing that half this list you cannot do without a valid photo id.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:18 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,895 times
In the case of the elderly bused in, they may not have driven in a while.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:52 AM

Bexar County Early Vote Counts

Old 10-27-2016, 06:55 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
In the case of the elderly bused in, they may not have driven in a while.
Senior living communities typically provide individual and group transportation for their residents, for things like medical appointments, shopping trips, and special events, since many of their residents no longer drive.

I suspect that was the case where it was witnessed at the polling location.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Just a heads up for those voting tomorrow in early voting. I went to the early voting place in Summerset this morning. I was the only one there. I was in and out in probably 5 minutes. For some it would be a drive but it beats standing in line for 3 hours like at the Northside Activity Center and others around town. You will need a picture ID and hopefully your voters registration. They put your precinct into the computer and your ballot comes up. The voting place is on 6th street behind the high school at the school admin building. If you can't find it, you'd probably get lost in your living room- you can't miss it. LOTS of political signs on the fence and entry and LOTS of parking too. Here's a map for those who might not know Summerset is off of 1604 on the southwest side of town.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/So...!4d-98.6577985

Old 10-29-2016, 11:22 AM

282 posts, read 342,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
ALL people over 65 are sent a mail-ballot, but many are not aware of that. So, likely the women had NOT requested a mail ballot, it was sent automatically. I'm willing to bet she wasn't trying to commit fraud, she had no idea about the mail ballot.
Really? Guess mine was stolen. Never heard of such a thing. Please provide a reference so I can pursue my lost ballot.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Really? Guess mine was stolen. Never heard of such a thing. Please provide a reference so I can pursue my lost ballot.
I think she confused being eligible to vote by mail with who gets the ballot.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:13 PM

282 posts, read 342,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I think she confused being eligible to vote by mail with who gets the ballot.
I agree. It's written like it happens automatically which is not accurate. You must apply or submit a request for a mail ballot, they don't just mail them out. Being 65 or older is one of the several qualifying reasons for a mail ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio