Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 165,972 times

Advertisements

Yes my registration was expired, I worked for Warren Properties and was layed off when they sold the complexes I mentioned, money was tight and paying my mortgage was a higher priority than renewing my registration. Beside the point, the officer was definitely parked over a thousand feet from the city limit and falsified the citation location on the ticket, that is the issue I'm questioning. He was parked in the median by Oaklawn and Fred, monitoring traffic safely outside Balcones Hts City Limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Seems like it sometimes, watching the news.
I try and avoid Balcones Heights....had a bad episode with them when I was a kid. After 2 hours of searching my car and 4 police cars surrounding me for no reason, they let me go.

Just get your tags and pay the 20 bucks.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyDY4 View Post
Yes my registration was expired, I worked for Warren Properties and was layed off when they sold the complexes I mentioned, money was tight and paying my mortgage was a higher priority than renewing my registration. Beside the point, the officer was definitely parked over a thousand feet from the city limit and falsified the citation location on the ticket, that is the issue I'm questioning. He was parked in the median by Oaklawn and Fred, monitoring traffic safely outside Balcones Hts City Limits
If there is a date and time on the ticket and the patrol car has GPS tracking, then you can prove it.

I agree with txtea on BH cops. I live very close to BH, but not in the city. Any time I drive up and down Fredericksburg in BH territory, I see people getting pulled over and searched both at least 2 times a month if not more. I have been very fortunate not to have to deal with a BH cop in that way, but then I always keep my tags updated.

I am not talking about the times I just see simple traffic violations where person is still in the car and the cop is writing a ticket. I am talking full fledged car searches where all the stuff is taken out with 4-5 cops surrounding the car.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:17 AM

66 posts, read 165,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Seems like it sometimes, watching the news.
I try and avoid Balcones Heights....had a bad episode with them when I was a kid. After 2 hours of searching my car and 4 police cars surrounding me for no reason, they let me go.

Just get your tags and pay the 20 bucks.
I avoid Balcones as much as I avoid Windcrest, which is why this irritates me so much. But ultimately yes, that is what I will do. If Balcones put as much effort into revitalizing the city as they do to catching people for minor traffic violations maybe their biggest attraction wouldn't be a dying mall with a red light motel across the street (cheap shot perhaps but I'm seriously mad)

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
I avoid Balcones as much as I avoid Windcrest, which is why this irritates me so much. But ultimately yes, that is what I will do. If Balcones put as much effort into revitalizing the city as they do to catching people for minor traffic violations maybe their biggest attraction wouldn't be a dying mall with a red light motel across the street (cheap shot perhaps but I'm seriously mad)
You can add Shavano Park to that list, however unlike BH, SV seems to put all the ticket revenue towards making the city look nice. Who knows what BH does with all the revenue from tickets (including the red light camera ones)? Certainly not going towards that mall for sure.

Also I have seen BH scanning plates in the Target parking lot before on more than one occasion. Not sure why.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 52,148 times
Quote:
It's not worth fighting it as it's your word against his; no way you'll win as you have no proof. Just renew your registration and show up in court and show proof of renewal and pay the small fee.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM

61,692 posts, read 87,077,794 times
If you question if Balcones Hts cop was authorized to write a ticket in San Antonio area, the answer is YES... and no.
There is an ordinance that allows San Antonio police to penetrate the city limits of about 10 neighboring municipalities in order to issue traffic citations, and vice versa. The officers are be able to travel up to 200 yards across the shared boundaries, and issue only Class C misdemeanor citations, punishable by fines.
The other cities involved are Castle Hills, Balcones Heights, Kirby, Live Oak, Olmos Park, Hollywood Park, Hill Country Village, Terrell Hills, China Grove and Windcrest.

Ordinance allowing SAPD, others to write tickets in...

Last edited by elnina; 04-29-2016 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
I wonder if that rule applies if you are already outside of the boundary. I can see if he were traveling inside BH and as he was being pulled over, went over the boundary. However for a patrol unit to be already on the other side, whether it be coming back form lunch or any other reason, to actively be looking for someone to pull over for any violation seems like a stretch of the rules.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
I get it. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. But, here's the real, underlying problem:

We've come to a time where nobody takes responsibility for their own actions. It's always someone else's fault. We don't take responsibility for our own actions.

It doesn't matter if he was 1000 feet for 1000 miles from his jurisdiction.. ok, miles is a little far fetched, but you understand.

You broke the law by having an expired tag.
You were given a ticket.
Get your car registered, pay the fine, accept your punishment.
You may want to do a better job in preparing for events such as this (tags needing to be renewed) so that it's not a recurring issue.

Good luck - and sincerely, have a great weekend!... just don't drive anywhere with expired tags!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM

61,692 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I wonder if that rule applies if you are already outside of the boundary. I can see if he were traveling inside BH and as he was being pulled over, went over the boundary. However for a patrol unit to be already on the other side, whether it be coming back form lunch or any other reason, to actively be looking for someone to pull over for any violation seems like a stretch of the rules.
Not sure - it could be a gray area. Cop could say he spotted the driver in a right territory, even if he stopped him outside of their jurisdiction.

re: Tumf - that's the "American way" - laws are a joke if you have means to fight them.
People don't want to admit their own fault, take responsibility for their action. They know that they can pay to get away with it.
That's pretty sad, actually...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio