Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times

Advertisements

Money Moving North, Northwest in Latest Report on Bexar's Richest ZIP Codes - NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, San Antonio

Quote:
The wealthiest ZIP code in Bexar County today is 78261, which is east of US 281 and north of TPC Parkway and the J.W. Marriott Resort in the far north central portion of the county, along Smithson Valley Road. The average income in the ZIP code, according to the US Census, is right at $92,000 a year.

Right behind is 78258, which is south and west of 78261, west of US 281, and including Sonterra and much of Stone Oak. It has an average income of $91,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,756 times
Interesting article, but my opinion is that lists tell only part of a story. As zip codes mature and fill in, more apartments are built (usually meaning younger, less wealthy residents), middle class homes get constructed (I'm not saying this is a bad thing), properties age and lose "relative" value, and residents retire (less income, but more wealth). It would be interesting to see a similar list in 20 years.

The older, dare I say "historic", zip codes have always contained many levels of incomes (ex: my area has 2 br cottages two blocks away from 4000 sf homes on 1/2 acre lots), but I believe this is a good thing which keeps a neighborhood desirable even if the overall income appears to be less. In other words, I don't think that the King William neighborhood has "lost their super wealthy cachet", as it was never a one price range area to begin with.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Of course. These people are running away from middle and working class people. If the trend continues, they will all be in Comal and Kendall county. I prefer being in more diverse neighborhoods. It's okay. We all have our preferences. But I agree with Montirob. The historic neighborhoods have proven overtime to maintain their wealthy enclaves. Even some of the poorer historic neighborhoods are seeing gentrification because those properties have the potential of seeing huge increases in value. The newer neighborhoods will probably see their average incomes decrease in relation to other areas.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I was in a store today that asks customers for their zip codes at the beginning of the checkout process. The woman in front of me at the register told the cashier that hers was 78261. I was tempted to blurt out that it was the county's wealthiest zip code, but restrained myself!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I was in a store today that asks customers for their zip codes at the beginning of the checkout process. The woman in front of me at the register told the cashier that hers was 78261. I was tempted to blurt out that it was the county's wealthiest zip code, but restrained myself!
But is it really the wealthiest (i.e. overall net worth), or just the one with the highest current income?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

(I'm just having friendly fun here)

Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
NOT at all worried about my ZIP CODES income....VERY focused on OURS!

It is a personal thing...no need to "compete"...just to live VERY well!

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM

62 posts, read 110,731 times
Not really sure what the point of this is...I make over double the amount listed in the article and I'm in 78251. My cousin is in 78253 and makes over $200,000 a yr. Who really cares? Just please have pride in your neighborhood and be a good neighbor. That's what gets me the most; I don't care what your income is, but take care of your place.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
Not really sure what the point of this is...
I agree with you.

My only point is that for some reason, the media makes it a point. My neighborhood, let alone my zip code probably wouldn't be in the top 25, but it doesn't mean I don't consider it desirable.

The problem is that when marketers are looking at an area in which to target ads, the bad ones simply look at the overall income for a zip code. So... the ones north of 1604 get a certain set, and we (being inside 410) get blasted with ones from loan companies even though many of us could probably live in any zip code in SA that they wanted. I'm merely trying to show the whole lunacy of it all.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM

282 posts, read 471,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
NOT at all worried about my ZIP CODES income....VERY focused on OURS!

It is a personal thing...no need to "compete"...just to live VERY well!
Tried to rep you but I have to spread the reps around!

I wish everybody has this mindset.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
The problem is that when marketers are looking at an area in which to target ads, the bad ones simply look at the overall income for a zip code. So... the ones north of 1604 get a certain set, and we (being inside 410) get blasted with ones from loan companies even though many of us could probably live in any zip code in SA that they wanted. I'm merely trying to show the whole lunacy of it all.
These demographics also matter to retailers, particularly to those based in other states. If you wonder why Target opened multiple stores outside of 1604 long before opening a store in 78209, blame data like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio