Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,844,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Asking Texans what's the best BBQ is like asking Hawaiians what's the best surf spot. 100 people will give you 100 different responses!

Just steer clear of Bill Miller's, the only thing they have worth getting is their sweet tea!

Cheers! M2
I wasn't a big fan of Bill Miller's in the past but lately I have been enjoying their quick and cheap lunches. (esp the Po' boy sandwiches)

You can't go wrong with their lunch specials. Of course, if someone from out of town came to visit me and wanted BBQ then I would take them somewhere else.

Their sweet tea is actually what I don't like. Too sweet for my taste. I like to be able to taste the tea, not the sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,165,482 times
Bill Miller's wouldn't keep building new stores and be the success it is if people didn't like it. Just know it isn't anything but fast food bbq and you won't be disappointed. I love their fried chicken and they have a really good chicken sandwich. Plus the fruit salad (last time I was there months ago) was really nice. And a bonus? Three can eat for about fifteen bucks. No more than 20.

The sweet tea is gross.......I never order it. I've heard horror stories about how it's made.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,614,419 times
Texas Pride is way over priced, too far to drive and not much better than Bill Millers IMO. The customer always comes last at Texas Pride.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,836,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Bill Miller's wouldn't keep building new stores and be the success it is if people didn't like it. Just know it isn't anything but fast food bbq and you won't be disappointed. I love their fried chicken and they have a really good chicken sandwich. Plus the fruit salad (last time I was there months ago) was really nice. And a bonus? Three can eat for about fifteen bucks. No more than 20.

The sweet tea is gross.......I never order it. I've heard horror stories about how it's made.
Do tell......

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing2010 View Post
I agree...every time a thread like this pops up, eventually most if not all of the local joints will be mentioned as the "best". Best thing to do is take the top few most mentioned and go try them out.

If the arteries aren't already clogged prior to arrival they will be upon departure LOL

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM

216 posts, read 402,272 times
Thumbs up The only "Real" BBQ in San Antonio

If you want to get some real BBQ in San Antonio the only place to go that I know of is "The Smokehouse". It used to be called Bob's BBQ, it's located at the intersection of Rigsby and Roland on the East side of SA. It's the only place anywhere in the area (other than Outback) to get lamb ribs which I enjoy. The brisket is awesome, the sausage I'm not too wild about but there is not a BBQ house anywhere that I know of that make decent sausage. (Sausage should be boiled in a pot in which you have been boiling bones then lightly grilled just to add some smoke flavor) If you want great BBQ give it a try, you won't be disappointed. I would suggest going for lunch, not sure how late they open.
While your there you may want to go across street to Rubens. A lot of people like their tamales the line of cars stretches for blocks at Christmas time, personally my favorite are "Delicious" brand. But since you're in the neighborhood you may want get some to go to try them out. Speaking of BBQ and tamales, if you've never put a tamale on the grill you're missing something good. Leave them in the shuck put them on the grill, not too hot, until the shuck gets dry (maybe 10-15min) and starts to curl up a little and they ready to eat. Don't get me wrong, I love them fresh and hot but grilling changes them into something else. No joke

Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,383,993 times
I haven't had the chance to try out the local barbecue places yet. I try to avoid the large chains. Moving to SA from Central Texas, I miss Schoepf's Old Time Pit BBQ in Belton. They made Texas Monthly's list a year or two ago. They recently expanded to include a stage for live music. Great barbecue, and steaks, and friendly service.

I am looking forward to trying out some of the places listed in the thread here.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,748,070 times
Texas Pride is very good. The employees there have always been friendly whenever I visit. I only wish they would serve beef ribs. For that, I go to Copper's Old Time BBQ in New Braunfels.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM

15 posts, read 35,555 times
As mentioned earlier, the Smokehouse at Rigsby and Roland has great bbq. I just bought some tamales at Ruben's this Sunday for breakfast and love them...... I personally enjoy Snoga's BBQ on Goliad. Old time BBQ joint that has been around since the 70's and run by a old polish family that has been in South Texas for generations. They also make their own sausage and offer Kiolbasa brand, if you prefer to stick to that. I get the pork ribs and sausage plate with sides for well under $10. Great traditional south Texas BBQ. Lots of ol' time customers going there and the servers seem to know all their names. Nothing fancy, but has that small town feel which I always associate with a real bbq joint.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM

73 posts, read 112,865 times
My house

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,202,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post

Point me in the right direction or offer up some suggestions?

Thanks!
Manny O's, at the corner of Pat Booker & Kitty Hawk in Universal City.

I've not eaten in the restaurant, but Manny & Nikki have brought their pit trailer to several parties and events, and his stuff is always mouthwateringly delicious.

Also, I heard that Joe Cotten's (formerly of Robstown) opened a location somewhere near Blossom Stadium, but I haven't been there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio