Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 AM

25 posts, read 92,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Well, he/she more than likely is but the far west side and the southeast are very nice areas to live in and anyone moving to SA would have no problem with those areas.

The far west side is the fastest growing sector of San Antonio.

But like you said, he was being facetious as he simply said westside and not far westside.
SE sounds like it wouldn't be commute friendly. Now, regarding westside, are you referring to outside of the 1604 by Helotes and zips 78254 and 78253 or something else?

Also, I do indeed have children that are elementary school age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM

25 posts, read 92,956 times
Question Any USAA Employees Out There Care To Comment

About your commute and neighboorhoods?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM

35 posts, read 156,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfre View Post
I am in the process of relocating to San Antonio from Phoenix to work for USAA.

My wife and I do like modern amenities and modern housing spaces (kitchens are nice and big in more modern homes typically versus older homes).

We want to make sure we are in areas with strong schools and low crime. Thus far, I have narrowed my search down to these zips:
78015, 78023, 78231, 78232, 78247, 78249, 78253, 78254, 78255, 78258, 78259, 78260, 78261, 78266.

I know it is a lot of zips, but, I am just beginning my analysis and wanted to get feedback from others that are familiar with the San Antonio area and possibly USAA.

I welcome any feedback you may have regarding neighborhoods, traffic patterns, crime issues, and any other pertinent information relating to my inquiry. Thanks.
I am in a similar position with the difference that I don't have kids so school districts aren't a concern - apart from taxes!
I don't mind a long commute as long as its not in stop and go traffic, so I was leaning towards Helotes (without actually seeing it yet). I did spend some time looking over towards Huebner(78259?) north of 1204 and the traffic was NOT good so I prefer to stay away from there.
I have also been considering the medical center area but received comments about ambulance / fire engine siren noise being a concern.
Finally, I am looking for a small single level home, preferably a condo. Am I likely to find something like that in Helotes?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,219,486 times
I live in Lakehills (Medina Lake). I have about 6 friends who live in Lakehills and Pipe Creek area that work at USAA. There is a USAA van that they ride to work. One of them drives it and picks up all the others. The area is definitely rural if you like that sort of place.
School district is Bandera ISD. I like the schools, I attended them and now my daughter's do. The whole highschool only has around 900 students (thats a lot to me, when I graduated in 1987, there were only 72 in my graduating class ).

Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabex View Post
I am in a similar position with the difference that I don't have kids so school districts aren't a concern - apart from taxes!
I don't mind a long commute as long as its not in stop and go traffic, so I was leaning towards Helotes (without actually seeing it yet). I did spend some time looking over towards Huebner(78259?) north of 1204 and the traffic was NOT good so I prefer to stay away from there.
I have also been considering the medical center area but received comments about ambulance / fire engine siren noise being a concern.
Finally, I am looking for a small single level home, preferably a condo. Am I likely to find something like that in Helotes?
There are no condos that I know of in Helotes. There are some nice older neighborhoods in Helotes that I'm sure you would be happy in. Going out a little further North of Helotes on Hwy 16 (Bandera Road) there is San Antonio Ranch, Grey Forest, Los Reyes, these are nice neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
There are no condos that I know of in Helotes. There are some nice older neighborhoods in Helotes that I'm sure you would be happy in. Going out a little further North of Helotes on Hwy 16 (Bandera Road) there is San Antonio Ranch, Grey Forest, Los Reyes, these are nice neighborhoods.
Thanks - I will take another look at those other cities...

Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 AM

64 posts, read 194,829 times
Default Helotes area = out Hwy 16

"There are some nice older neighborhoods in Helotes that I'm sure you would be happy in. Going out a little further North of Helotes on Hwy 16 (Bandera Road) there is San Antonio Ranch, Grey Forest, Los Reyes, these are nice neighborhoods."

Beware of Hwy 16 (Bandera Road) traffic - you will need to leave VERY early in the morning. And, in general, traffic on Bandera - like so many places - is not getting better and no reason to think it will get better in any near future.
Also, some of the "nice neighborhoods" named above have "issues" which I'm not going to go into = we have lived in 2 out of 3. I recommend you do your homework. Spend some time in them, check for constant traffic noise (from Hwy 16), unfinished building (apparently some builders are going bust), large number of cars parked in the street, rundown properties, high MUD taxes, etc. Guess I did go into SOME issues after all.......there are more. It's a shame really.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhat? View Post
"There are some nice older neighborhoods in Helotes that I'm sure you would be happy in. Going out a little further North of Helotes on Hwy 16 (Bandera Road) there is San Antonio Ranch, Grey Forest, Los Reyes, these are nice neighborhoods."

Beware of Hwy 16 (Bandera Road) traffic - you will need to leave VERY early in the morning. And, in general, traffic on Bandera - like so many places - is not getting better and no reason to think it will get better in any near future.
Also, some of the "nice neighborhoods" named above have "issues" which I'm not going to go into = we have lived in 2 out of 3. I recommend you do your homework. Spend some time in them, check for constant traffic noise (from Hwy 16), unfinished building (apparently some builders are going bust), large number of cars parked in the street, rundown properties, high MUD taxes, etc. Guess I did go into SOME issues after all.......there are more. It's a shame really.
WOW, I did not know that about these neighborhoods, but then again, I have never lived in them. Yes, the traffic on Bandera Road is heavy but that is everywhere. The area northwest of 1604 is growing so fast that either road (FM471 or Bandera) coming into SA are very heavily traveled. I just leave early and enjoy the drive. I drive 35 miles to work everyday and it takes me the same amount of time to get to work that it takes people who live just across town.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM

given an option, I like to start at 7am so I expect that would be early enough to bypass most traffic.
What is MUD tax?
I am thinking i should go back to my original thinking and get an apartment for 6 months so I can get a better feel for SA before buying...

Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM

20 posts, read 84,505 times
Are you looking to rent or buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio