Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 AM

11 posts, read 56,973 times

Advertisements

Many people are weary before visiting or moving to Salt Lake because of the reputation it has. I wanted to start this thread to show people that there are actually more non LDS churches in Salt Lake then there are LDS churches.

There are plenty of options for people who are not LDS, the list below is only some of the churches around here that are not mormon. There are plenty more but I was too lazy to list every single one. They range from Catholic, Baptist, Jehova's Witness, Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, Episcopal, Muslim, Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran and more.

For all of the 'hundreds' of Mormon churches in Salt Lake (there are actually only 63 I believe, which is still a large number I know) there are 'hundreds' of churches that aren't Mormon. It just bothers me when people treat the Mormon church as a negative aspect to the city. They treat it like something that makes the city not worthwhile to live in. It's just what makes our city and state unique. Nobody ever complains about all the other churches in the city, or even brings light to them, there are literally so many other churches in Salt Lake. Just like people on the thread have been asking me "what part of the city do you live in?" since I don't see many Mormon churches, I also ask the same question to them if they don't notice how many other churches there are in Salt Lake. People will see all the white people in the city and think there is no diversity, yet they won't even mention the large Muslim community (that I am a part of) the Greek Marketplaces, the Japanese Presbyterian Church, the very large LGBT community that is highly celebrated in the city, the rich film culture, the prominent colony of Tibetan Buddhists, or the very large Hispanic population.

I wish we could just get over the whole 'Mormon thing' and appreciate Salt Lake for the cool city that it is? I feel like every conversation about SLC or UT in general gets turned into a conversation about religion, just as this one has. Of course it's no LA or NY, but it's a very nice city that I think deserves plenty of credit. I kinda went off on a tangent, but here's the list of churches. Again, NONE OF THESE ARE MORMON. There are 66 on my list I believe, and these aren't even all the churches. On the LDS website I counted 63 Mormon churches in total in SLC, which is of course still a high number, almost a Mormon church for every non-mormon church. But keep in mind that I did not list every single non LDS church in SLC, so there are actually more non Mormon churches in Salt Lake than there are mormon ones. Here's some of them.

First Unitarian Church (which some people call the 'atheist church') 1058 400 S

Congregation Kol Ami, 2425 Heritage Way (2760 South) A jewish church

Khadeeja Islamic Center, 1019 W Parkway Ave (this one is in West Valley)

Salt Lake Buddhist Temple, 211 100 S

Brazilian Church Assembly of God, 4300 S 700 E

First Southern Baptist Japanese Church of Utah, 1175 W 600 N

First Vietnamese Baptist Church, 1235 W California Ave

Saint Pauls Episcopal Church, 261 S 900 E

Our Lady of Lourdes Church, 670 1100 E

Grace City Church, 335 W Bugatti Dr

The Rock Church, 195 2100 S

Cathedral of the Madeleine, 331 S Temple

Saint Ambrose Catholic Church, 2315 Redondo Ave

St Ann's Church, 450 2100 S

K2 the Church,5049 Murray Blvd

Roman Catholic Diocese of Slc, 27 C St

Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, 715 W 300 N

St Patrick's Church, 1058 400 S

St Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center, 170 University St

Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 946 South 200 East

First Baptist Church, 777 1300 E

Calvary Baptist Church, 1090 State St

Heritage Baptist Church, 1502 Walnut Dr

Cornerstone Church, 1175 W 600 N

Intermountain Baptist Church, 4770 S 1950 W

Saint Pauls Episcopal Church, 261 S 900 E

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 2240 S 600 E

First Congressional Church, 2150 Foothill Dr.

Bautista Maranatha Church, 986 S 400 E

Jordan Valley Baptist Church, 3855 S 500 W

Millcreek Baptist Church, 1515 E 4500 S

New Pilgrim Baptist Church, 6169 S Redwood Rd

Risen Life Church, 2780 E 3900 S

Unity Baptist Church, 1170 W 1000 N

Utah Campus Community Church, 1724 E 2100 S

St. Peter & Paul Orthodox Church, 355 300 E

St. Marks Episcopal Church, 231 100 S

Mount Tabor Lutheran Church, 175 S 700 E

Our Saviour Lutheran Church, 2500 E 3900 S

Prince Of Peace Lutheran Church, 1441 W Tamarack Rd

Redeemer Lutheran Church, 1955 E Stratford Ave

Saint John's Lutheran Church, 475 E Herbert Ave

Saint Johns Lutheran Church, 1030 S 500 E

Saint Matthews Lutheran Church, 5200 S 2700 W

St Matthew's Lutheran Church, 2654 W Builders Dr

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1070 S Foothill Dr

Mountain Springs Community, 7136 S 1700 E

Bountiful Christian Church, 4969 S Eastridge Ln Apt 168

Calvary Chapel Salt Lake, 460 W Century Dr

Capital Church In the City, 1010 E 700 S

Centro International Hispano Luz Para Las Naciones, 1624 S 1000 W

Christian Life Center, 1055 N Redwood Rd

Church Of God Of Prophecy, 425 N 700 W

Ebenezer Church Of God In Christ, 820 S 300 E

First Apostolic Church, 1680 W Stratford Ave

Fresh Start Church, 3378 S 300 E

House of Prayer Assembly of God, 829 S 200 W

LIFE Church of the Assemblies of God, 3818 W 4700 S

New Creation Church, 28 E 2100 S

New Life Center UPC, 3885 W 4100 S

Oasis Vineyard Church, 1945 S Redwood Rd

Foursquare Church, 662 E 1300 S

Salt Lake Full Gospel Church, 877 E Colony S Apt 17

Shalom, 1720 W Indiana Ave # 1

United Pentecostal Church, 1432 N General Dr

Valley Christian Church, 4490 S 3200 W

Worldwide Gospel Church, 862 W 300 N

Salt Lake City, Park City, Moab, Ogden and St. George are the least Mormon cities in Utah. I'll also just leave this here: 20 things you didn't know about Salt Lake City - Matador Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 AM

388 posts, read 548,735 times
https://www.lds.org/maps/#ll=40.6270...&m=google.road

Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM

32 posts, read 54,673 times
There are two things to mention about reading this map and putting it into context:

The small numbers next to the meetinghouse icon represent the actual number of meetinghouses in a neighborhood. Integers are just the number they are. Pluses mean that there are more than 10 meetinghouses in a relatively small area, often just a subdivision of a neighborhood.

Then, it is highly uncommon for a meetinghouse to have just one congregation, which is the unit that would most likely translate to what you listed as individual churches from other denominations. Most meetinghouses have four or six congregations (wards and branches) because these numbers are the easiest to schedule for a single-chapel building. Some of the larger meetinghouses have up to 12 congregations and actually have two chapels in them to accommodate them all (the building I go to has eight wards, for example, and two chapels). Attendance varies widely, but it is about 150 to 300 in the average ward in Utah.

As for Sugar House, there are indeed just six LDS congregations (five English, one Swahili), which by local standards is very little. There are 49 stakes in SLC proper (translating to roughly 300 to 350 congregations - I'm too lazy to do the actual counting) and 174 stakes in Salt Lake County (translating to probably somewhere between 1200 and 1500 congregations).

LDS Temples and Mormon Church Units in Salt Lake County

Alright, fine. So many numbers. But ultimately I agree with the "spirit" of the post - SLC is a very welcoming location to people with a wide range of different lifestyles, worldviews and religious affiliations, and I wish common portrayal would live up to that reality.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Let's map the number of non-mormon churches as well to keep the spirit of this post up, it was not meant to draw attention to the number of mormon churches in the city (just Salt Lake City, not the entire Salt Lake Area/County) but rather to draw attention to other churches in the city.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
And I was actually using this website to count the number of LDS stakes. Keep in mind that 'wards' do not meet in different buildings. There are many different wards per stakehouse.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1889 View Post
There are two things to mention about reading this map and putting it into context:

The small numbers next to the meetinghouse icon represent the actual number of meetinghouses in a neighborhood. Integers are just the number they are. Pluses mean that there are more than 10 meetinghouses in a relatively small area, often just a subdivision of a neighborhood.

Then, it is highly uncommon for a meetinghouse to have just one congregation, which is the unit that would most likely translate to what you listed as individual churches from other denominations. Most meetinghouses have four or six congregations (wards and branches) because these numbers are the easiest to schedule for a single-chapel building. Some of the larger meetinghouses have up to 12 congregations and actually have two chapels in them to accommodate them all (the building I go to has eight wards, for example, and two chapels). Attendance varies widely, but it is about 150 to 300 in the average ward in Utah.

As for Sugar House, there are indeed just six LDS congregations (five English, one Swahili), which by local standards is very little. There are 49 stakes in SLC proper (translating to roughly 300 to 350 congregations - I'm too lazy to do the actual counting) and 174 stakes in Salt Lake County (translating to probably somewhere between 1200 and 1500 congregations).

Alright, fine. So many numbers. But ultimately I agree with the "spirit" of the post - SLC is a very welcoming location to people with a wide range of different lifestyles, worldviews and religious affiliations, and I wish common portrayal would live up to that reality.
I was actually counting the number of churches directly in the city of Salt Lake, I am not counting the surrounding areas or the rest of Salt Lake County. I believe if you count, there are only 63 stakehouses in the city of Salt Lake. I also think it's funny that my auto-correct keeps changing 'stakehouses' to 'steakhouses' haha. Things you only understand if you're from UT I guess.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elianacabrera View Post
it's funny that my auto-correct keeps changing 'stakehouses' to 'steakhouses' haha.
Not if you use the proper name which is Stake Center.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:25 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Imagine going to the West Virginia board and seeing a map of the number of dentists in each city with all of the native West Virginians saying, "See! We totally visit the dentist! We're totally normal! We're completely accepting of people who have teeth!"

You'd be like, "What the... uh... apparently having teeth is a pretty big deal there." (For the record, 42.8% of people from WV have had all their teeth extracted by age 65. Utah = 13.5%)

My point is.. this topic does nothing but confirm to everyone just how important of a subject this apparently is and shows just how integral your status as a Mormon, Post-Mormon or Never-Mormon is in day to day life in the Beehive State.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:13 PM

914 posts, read 972,903 times
I agree to some degree on the above post as I'm sure there are many who never or rarely visit a place of worship like myself. We love it here but do struggle with the whole thing about religion being so important and I do not mean that from a Mormon point of view I mean in general. It is something we have learned to live with , that people ask in general.Where we come from people are more likely to be more interested in what job you do , religion just doesn't come into it or even get asked about. Those who practice do, those who don't don't and each are respected as no one really cares or finds it important let alone asks ,and we come from an area that is predominantly C of E (church of England). My kids do find it strange sometimes that after coming from somewhere where it doesn't matter(or get discussed) that all of a sudden it does . It has not affected them making friends or have they been rebuked by anyone at school in fact quite the opposite but they were asked by several children when they started if they were LDS, even by those who are not .

It has not affected our relationships with any of the friends we have made here or neighbours bar one. I have been very lucky with work colleagues who are absolutely fab and accept me for me regardless of anything and have never asked. I think as some have said the LDS thing here is overblown and by doing that it actually always brings religion into the forum of this beautiful state regardless of whether someone is LDS or not. Its a shame this is such a hot topic.

Last edited by Montygirl; 06-17-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not if you use the proper name which is Stake Center.
Well, I'm not Mormon so excuse my mistake (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area