Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM

55 posts, read 236,377 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently posted here about moving Stockton due to starting my graduate program at UoP in the fall. Although I was really focused on living within walking distance of the university my significant other and I decided to also look at the towns around Stockton, specifically Tracy and Lodi.

Does anyone know what the good areas are to live in these towns? Also, how is the traffic in the morning and the afternoon. Distance wise it seems doable -especially since right know I am commuting 20 miles one-way.

I was rather shocked by the amount of crime and violence that is going on in Stockton. However, I love the school and the program and I will defintely go there but I am concerned about my safety so it is absolutely essential for us to live somewhere where we don't constantly have to worry about being mugged, shot, raped, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM

142 posts, read 534,736 times
I don't have enough first hand knowledge to provide useful information regarding Tracy. I heard its gotten nicer and more expensive as it has became a bedroom community for people priced out of the bay area. I just don't know which parts of Tracy are nice and which aren't so nice. One of the problems you are dealing with here is that Tracy is pretty far from the general Sacramento area and there may not be enough posters here with first hand knowledge to give you accurate first hand knowledge. For Tracy you may just have to go there yourself to check it out.

As for Lodi, I have friends who live in Woodbridge which is on the northwest side of Lodi. That area is pretty safe.

I drove through downtown Lodi and I thought that area was very pretty - lots of older homes with charm, but I don't have enough local knowledge to know how good that area is. But it was much closer to highway 99 which is probably an advantage if you are driving to Stockton.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
I work in Lodi and it's actually a pretty nice little town. The downtown area is pretty walkable if that's what you are looking for...lot's of shops, bars, a brewery, and restaraunts. There are quite a few historic homes on tree lined streets, plus a modern part of town. The west side is the more modern side with the chain stores, everything you need. I work on the East side, which more rough around the edges, however all the best food is on the east side, Lodi has a lot of really cheap, great restaurants. I know several people who work or go to school in Stockton who live in Lodi because it's nicer. I commute here from Midtown Sac, it's about 30 min, which you can drive to for shows and bigger city life. SF is a hour and a half and the delta is 25 min away.

I don't know much about Tracy, other than it seems like a hellhole.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,827 times
Not to be rude, but Lodi seems like a hellhole to me, it looks like there's nothing there. I can speak for Tracy though: If you want a mall, drive to Stockton or Pleasanton, because there's not much @ the Tracy Mall. It is a nice quiet town, however, with the convenience of grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Since you are a student looking for affordable housing, do your research on which would be closer to UOP: Lodi or Tracy? Tracy has nice, affordable apartments of of Lowell Ave - you can look it up. Anyways, choose the city that is closer to your school - hope that helps.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Driving through Lodi's core is like being transported back to the 50s imo. Its very quaint and rural feeling and I found that refreshing.

That said, Tracy is practically a Bay Area suburb these days and is much larger it seems. It also has more retail and amenities but Lodi seems closer to Stockton so that might provide you amenities.

Id go with Tracy cause its much closer to the Bay Area and seems more upscale.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I have a few poker buddies that live in Lodi and I would give much higher marks to Lodi than Tracy. Ditto to what 18Monclair said.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
I was raised in Lodi and would prefer it over Tracy. I do not consider the area to be a hellhole at all. It is not that far from Sacramento if you want to go to Nordstrom's or see a concert out near the airport. Lodi is about 90 miles from San Francisco. Tracy is closer to San Francisco, but it also has a stinky sewer smell. Manteca is closer to UOP than Tracy---just a thought. Tracy has cows. Lodi has grapes. Woodbridge runs into Lodi.....just find General Mills and you will find Woodbridge....(right by Lodi Lake).

From Lodi, go down Lower Sacramento Road and you will arrive at UOP in less than 30 minutes....

Old 04-23-2010, 03:40 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Lodi (and the surrounding area), sometimes gets wind, (not severe),and with it, peat dirt from the islands, but Tracy has a lot more wind....my uncle lived there for many years.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 24,928 times
Tracy has a gang problem and there have been a number of violent murders there lately. On the other hand the Lodi police department keep a firm hand on the city and it is a relatively peaceful place to live. I grew up in the area and it was well know that Tracy is trouble and that the cardinal rule about the valley in general is that you can do whatever you want, JUST DON'T GET CAUGHT MISBEHAVING IN LODI!!!! I love Lodi, I live in Manteca and wish I had picked Lodi as home instead. Now we are leaving the state all together but that is another story for another forum

Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
I wonder where Marissa ended up. Did you she go with Tracy or Lodi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento