Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2022, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,129 times

Advertisements

My daughter has faced bullying and racism at her school past years in suburbs in a southern state.
The school is in country side but has great ratings 9/10. However there are hardly any Indian kids..
One of her friends is being targeted too and moving to another school due to this..

We tried to address the issue in middle school but nothing much was done, the bullying has escalated now.

We have finally decided to pick a high school that has diversity and promotes more inclusive culture.
She is a freshman currently and we believe next 3 years are critical for her to focus on college prep than dealing with school issues.. Although I understand bullying and racism are different issues, my daughter is adamant that the kids here have cultural issues targeting only POC (1-2%). Sorry not trying to make this about race, but my daughter feels she cannot continue like this. Especially her only friend gone she will be left as lone Indian kid in her grade .
While I never thought I could afford moving there I'm motivated now to make it hapoen.
For our budget (less than 1M) and preferring new homes with sq footage around ,3000, it leaves few choices.

We are thinking of
1. Elk Grove - Sheldon and Consumnes Oaks high school
2. Tracy Hills - Tracy High, Kimball, West high school
3. Stockton - Bear Creek High

Looks like schools here are diverse and has good indian representation.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by Rudysingh; 12-26-2022 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 11:18 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
If it meets your financial circumstance, Folsom HS is much better than those listed. We have a large Indian population and that includes our Vice-Mayor who is doing an excellent job for the community. Intel is one of Folsom's largest employers and the workforce reflects a high level of Indian descent. I think that you and your daughter would fit in very well here if that is where you choose to live, work and attend school.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:30 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
I think Folsom and Elk Grove could work. I have no idea about Tracy Hills or Stockton because those are just too far away from Sacramento for me to have any knowledge about them. If these are too expensive, the other place I might consider is Yuba City. They have a huge Sikh community including a very large Sikh Temple.

sikhtempleyubacity

Old 12-27-2022, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
If it meets your financial circumstance, Folsom HS is much better than those listed. We have a large Indian population and that includes our Vice-Mayor who is doing an excellent job for the community. Intel is one of Folsom's largest employers and the workforce reflects a high level of Indian descent. I think that you and your daughter would fit in very well here if that is where you choose to live, work and attend school.
Thanks I work remote and occasionally have to travel to SFO and south bay area. That's the reason I started looking at Tracy and started expanding my search, ran into Elk Grove. Folsom might be a bit over my budget for kind of homes I'm looking for.but I'll check

Do you know if Elk Grove has enough Indian population?

Old 12-27-2022, 02:56 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudysingh View Post
Thanks I work remote and occasionally have to travel to SFO and south bay area. That's the reason I started looking at Tracy and started expanding my search, ran into Elk Grove. Folsom might be a bit over my budget for kind of homes I'm looking for.but I'll check

Do you know if Elk Grove has enough Indian population?
It is substantial. In Elk Grove. Apple has plant in Elk Grove and that brought in a substantial East Asian Indian community there. The local congressman is Indian American. Which specific high school has the largest Indian population, though I can't say, but I am sure a realtor in Elk Grove likely would know.

https://bera.house.gov/about

The other area that I might check out is the newer homes near Anatolia. There is a bunch of new houses going up in the area that is East of Mather Airpark and South of Aerojet. It is close to Folsom, but it is served by top scoring school in the Elk Grove Unified School district, Pleasant Grove High School. I have rode my bike through that neighborhood and noticed lots of East Asian Indian families playing with their kids in the newer developments. Its the community between Folsom and Elk Grove, think the area bounded by Grant Line Rd, Sunrise Blvd and White Rock Road. It is less expensive than Folsom proper, but still pretty close by. Folsom has Intel and that is attracting the Indian population to Folsom area.

Old 12-31-2022, 03:16 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Sheldon High doesn't serve Elk Grove proper. About 15 years ago or so they built Pleasant Grove High, which got all the more expensive/rural parts of Elk Grove that went to Sheldon. Sheldon mostly serves students from Vineyard nowadays.

Consumnes Oaks High is OK. That part of town is heavily Asian with a sizeable Indian population. Totally a solid choice as the High School ranks 8/10 as do the elementary and middle schools that feed into the high school.

Avoid Tracy, the schools district is meh and it's not that great of a town. Nothing to do and far from many amenities in Sac or San Francisco. It's kind of a last resort for middle class commuters priced out of the Bay Area. If you are looking for that pace of life closer to the Bay Area, try Mountain House instead.

Stockton is an awful town, with a lot of shady people. It and the surrounding towns of Lodi and Manteca are the worst, IMO. All the negatives of backwards, hick, podunk living, with none of the small town charm. It's one of the few areas that generally is as bad as people say.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:11 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
ELK GROVE from those choices. There is a lot of asians, especially a lot of Indians. They boast very good schools, and its still close to the Bay Area.

You take the advice of Folsom and you are 30-40 minutes further.

Tracy has turned into Bay Area exodus, so you will also find a good community of Indian and other asians. Schools arent good as Elk Grove. Neighborhoods will be as I assume you would go to the newer developments.

Stockton is gangster, its like Oakland 2.0

Old 03-04-2024, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,752 times
Have you considered Davis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento