Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Lady Bird's Sacramento - A Love Letter to Sacramento

What is the neighborhood like where Lady Bird wishes she lived, and what is the neighborhood like "on the other side of the tracks" where Lady Bird lives?

What is this love/hate relationship "we" all have of Sacramento?

Lady Bird takes place in 2002-2003 Sacramento but I've been told it felt more like Sacramento of the late 80's early 90's? What is different about Sacramento of the early 80's and today.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-14-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM

"It kills me when people talk about California hedonism. Anybody who talks about California hedonism has never spent a Christmas in Sacramento."

Joan Didion

Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Christine McPherson, who prefers to be called Lady Bird — it’s her given name, she insists, in the sense that “it’s given to me, by me” — is a senior at a Catholic girls’ high school. Sister Sarah Joan (Lois Smith), the principal, has read Lady Bird’s college application essay. “It’s clear how much you love Sacramento,” Sister Sarah remarks. This comes as a surprise, both to Lady Bird and the viewer, who is by now aware of Lady Bird’s frustration with her hometown.

“I guess I pay attention,” she says, not wanting to be contrary.

“Don’t you think they’re the same thing?” the wise sister asks.

The idea that attention is a form of love (and vice versa) is a beautiful insight, and in many ways it’s the key to “Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig’s beautiful, insightful new film, the first for which she is solely credited as writer and director. Ms. Gerwig, a Sacramento native and member of her heroine’s generation — the movie takes place mostly during the 2002-3 academic year — knows her characters and their world very well. Her affection envelops them like a secular form of grace: not uncritically, but unconditionally. And if you pay the right kind of attention to “Lady Bird” — absorbing its riffs and digressions as well as its melodies, its choral passages along with its solos and duets — you will almost certainly love it. It’s hard not to.

A.O. Scott NY Times

Is this the Sacramento you know and Love?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 PM

‘Lady Bird’ is taking America by storm by celebrating the true beauty of Sacramento

See Marco Breton's write-up on Sacramento and Lady Bird -

Sacramento native Greta Gerwig scores big with 'Lady Bird,' about her native city | The Sacramento Bee

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-14-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 03:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awEOLTzRR3w

Old 11-15-2017, 05:58 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
I wish she hadn't titled it "Lady Bird," which will always make me think of Lady Bird Johnson.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:56 AM

572 posts, read 599,069 times
Cool I will check this out. Always fun to see the city you live in as the setting for films or novels etc.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I wish she hadn't titled it "Lady Bird," which will always make me think of Lady Bird Johnson.
Exactly my thoughts

Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
I don't think Joan Didion has spent a Christmas in Sacramento since Eisenhower was in the White House, so she isn't exactly up on current events here. And having spent several Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays in San Francisco, it was pretty far from bacchanalic there too.

I still want to go see it, but it seems like the Sacramento of the film is based pretty much on the part of Land Park where she grew up--apparently she selected only Top 40 tracks for the soundtrack, because, as she mentioned in an interview, there was no counterculture here, to the point where nobody in Sacramento in 2000 or so had heard of obscure underground bands like The Kinks.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...-story-1055561
Quote:
Every bit as important as the settings was the soundtrack, and Gerwig toiled to assemble just the right playlist of early 2000s music. "No one in Sacramento knew who The Kinks were," she says of her hometown's lack of a counterculture. She leaned on Counting Crows, early career Justin Timberlake and Dave Matthews, whose hit "Crash Into Me" plays throughout the film. Gerwig also constructed an on-set playlist of '90s and '00s bangers, including selections from Blues Traveler and Alanis Morissette, that she would play in between shot setups.
This strikes me as pretty far from reality, although maybe Greta Gerwig hadn't heard of the Kinks in 2002. It's harder to believe that she thought Sacramento had no counterculture, as there were plenty of her classmates entering, exploring, and participating in the various local underground music scenes during that era. I suppose my point of reference was one day when I was driving past El Camino High School in the early 2000s and saw a teenager in a Dead Boys T-shirt. I noted it because this teenager obviously never heard the Dead Boys on the radio, they were a fairly obscure 1970s punk band that broke up before that kid was born (aside from reunion tours, including a stop in Sacramento that happened this past Monday night.) But due to Napster and iTunes (which launched in 2001), high school kids anywhere could hear about the Dead Boys, and order T-shirts via the Internet if they didn't have them at Tower Records (which was still around then.) Maybe it's kind of a silly thing to focus on, and I'll probably still see the film, but it makes me wonder about the image of Sacramento portrayed in the film.

Last edited by wburg; 11-15-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 05:05 AM

Burg, you should know to take it with a grain of salt when someone not from Sacramento (like that hollywood reporter article) tries to describe or casts judgement on Sacramento.

The Soundtrack is much more than "top 40".

Greta Gerwig is Sacramento through and through. She was born in 1983. Her neighborhood was River Park not Land Park. The RR tracks is the tracks parallel to Elvas which separates River Park from East Sac. Note, St. Francis sits between River Park and East Sac for the most part and the Fab 40's is East Sac.

On the surface you might think Greta Gerwig is rehashing old stereotypes and cliches about Sacramento and perpetuating them, which is is to a point, but she is writing from a place of love and affection, she captures a time and place with emotional honesty and like real life memories she confuses and mixes time periods subtly.

Didion captures a point in time with her quote and other writings, in that sense, she is a great historian without being one or claiming to be one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phpd1gDQhUQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento