Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times

Advertisements

I was getting in my car at Fry's electronics and a couple guys drove up and ask if Im interested in a brand new home stereo system for a $1000 , they said they received an extra one by mistake and cant ship it back, ete, etc

another time I was getting in my car at another business / grocery store and the same type of thing happened, a guy says he's the manager from something, a contracter or something like that and says he has a extra home stereo system for sale brand new in the box, etc and tells me the same story about getting an extra one and cant send it back etc

I just say Im not interested and he drives away, is this some type of scam thats common in the Sacramento area?

because this has happened two times in less than a year
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I just say Im not interested and he drives away, is this some type of scam thats common in the Sacramento area?
No, its common all over the country.

White van speaker scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Yeah, it's known as White Van Scam. They buy these cheap Home Theater Systems for around $50 and it comes with all these fake magazines and various other stuff claiming that these Home Theater Systems are worth $1000-$3000 and that you are getting a great deal if you buy from them.

You will see a ton of these systems sold on ebay and craigslist as well. Do not buy Home Theater Systems without doing your research. Many of these cheap speakers sometimes have similar names as the real brand to trick folks who aren't fimiliar with speaker brands.

You can usually tell the fake brands from legit brands. Most fake brands will post their MSRP price on the box and the box will be very colorful. LOL, many times, I want to add BOSE to the speaker scam list as well. LMFAO. They are pretty much overpriced computer speakers. LOL.

Here are some of the names you need to avoid. I need to update this list as they have made changes as their scams catches on:

* Audio Wood Products
* Advance Engineering Research
? Audiofile
*Audio Tech
* Acoustic Lab Technology
* Acoustic Monitor
* Acoustic Response (not to be confused with the company Acoustic Research, which involved the famous and respected Henry Kloss, who went on to found KLH and Cambridge Soundworks), Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology
* Blue Ridge Sound Engineering
* Century Distributors PTY LTD
* Canyon Audio (not to confused with Canary, these are basically the same as Theater Research)
*DanWave
* Denmark (not to be confused with Denon)
* Dogg Digital, Digital Dogg Audio (reportedly very popular on eBay)
* DCS Digital Audio (Logo looks similar the the DTS logo)
* Dahlton
* Dynalab (not to be confused with Dynamat)
* Digital Pro Audio
* Digital Audio, Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems, Digital Audio Skyline
* Digital Research
* Divinci
* Divinci Audio
* Elite Audio (another Theater Research brand, less common)
* Epiphany
* Epic
*Fleetwood Audio
*Genesis
* Genesis Media Lab
* Grafdale
* Epiphany Audio
* Innovative Sound Digital Pro Audio
* JAM Entertainment/JAM Enterprises, now known as Kelfi Distributors
* Kirsch (not to confused with Klipsch)
* Linear Phase studio monitors
*Matrix Audio
*Millenium, Millenium MTS
* Omni Audio or Omni Audio Products
* Orca Distributors
* Olin Ross
* PTS (Precision Transducer Systems)
* Palermo VA6.1
*Pro Audio
* Pro Dynamics Pro Platinium Series
* Protecsound
* Proline Acoustic
* Paradyme (not to be confused with Paradigm)
*Paramax
* PCS
* PSD (jokingly referred to as Paid Scam Drivers). Not to be confused with PSB.
* Republic Distributors, Inc. (parent of Omni and Dynalab) or Republic Distributors Of Canada or Republic Distribution GmbH
* Samaurai
* SDAT(Super Dumb Audio Theme)
* Sinclair Audio
* Streem
* Sound Illusion Production
*Skyline, Skyline Digital
* Studio Tech
* Theater Innovations
* Theater Research (has many other names)
* Theater Logic* Global Audio Network
* Paramax
*Protechnik PT-525
*OLIN ROSS SOUND SYSTEMS

Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
That scam is also seen here in Canada. Same type of crap equipment, encased in a jazzy type of cabinet, with speakers that LOOK great. The parts inside are junk, and the scammers buy them for less than $100, at a wholesale warehouse.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Why would anyone buy anything out of the back of a van, regardless of whether or not it was really 'a good deal'?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Haha. People will buy pretty anything from anyone if they think it's a good deal. I've had people drive from all corners of the metro area to buy a $10 item I posted on Craigslist. That's obviously a less sketchy proposition, but I'm always surprised at the lengths people go to get a good deal.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
I like to laugh at those craigslist posts:

"I have a 2008 Honda Accord for sale $5,000. I'm moving out of the country" posts, if you want to buy, please wire money through Western Union and we'll ship the car out to you."

And some people actually send the money. LMAO.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 AM

84 posts, read 100,153 times
Default Targeted by White Van Scammer in parking lot at work

I've had this experience, too - just within the last week or so. I work in Rancho Cordova, and was taking a late walk (it was probably after 4:00 pm) with a co-worker, when we were approached by a young man as we entered the parking lot who gave us some spiel about being a contractor who was installing home theater equipment and had extra that he couldn't send back. He even claimed he was giving it away for free. He immediately came across as a scammer and neither of us were interested, so we didn't even look to see what he had. We probably should have feigned interest, if only to get the details of what he was offering - and the license plate number of his vehicle.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
I have always wondered why these people don't just go to swap meets and flea markets and try their scam. Or is the exposure risk there too high?

Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM

79 posts, read 157,869 times
This hasn't happened to me here but I was approached by some guy at a Best Buy parking lot in Phoenix to buy a brand new LCD TV for $100. I told him no and he went to the next guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento