Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 11,870 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I'm originally from Brooklyn. Moved to the west coast 100 years ago . I am now considering moving back East. I'm done with 117 degree summers. I miss the 4 seasons and the water and not interested in Cali. I'd like to buy a modest home, preferably on or near the lake and/or with some land. Hopefully both, but not necessarily. I want reasonable access to the city (30-45 minute drive is acceptable), but not opposed to living closer to the city. If someone can please advise me as to what areas I should stay away from within my preferred radius and why, I would be happy to buy you a beer..or 2, when I get there. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
Based on what you’re looking for I would highly recommend the areas of Brockport, Hamlin, Hilton, and Spencerport. All are a short drive away from the lake, Hamlin Beach State Park is great. All are pretty much a 30 minute drive or less from Rochester depending on where you’re coming from. You’re not to far from Greece for all your shopping needs and Brockport has all the basic stores/shops you need. Pricing of homes are relatively cheaper than a lot of other parts of the Rochester metro area. Plenty of open land, farms, etc. Schools are great if that matters. Lots of nice locally owned restaurants. IMO has a much more community feel than suburbs closer to the city. Lots of festivals and fun things going on during the summer/holidays.

I’m sure there’s a lot more I’m missing but I’ve lived in this area specifically for almost 2 years and absolutely love it. Wouldn’t live in any other area. Let me know if you have anymore questions about the area. Good luck!

***Edit*** I know you said you were looking at areas to stay away from. But it seems to me you may have better luck finding recommendations to move too, rather than avoid. Cheers!

Old 12-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanks for your input, gt87, and for sharing great info. Ill look you up when I get there to pay up on that beer.

I would still appreciate further input especially slanted toward where to stay away from.

For example, I found a GREAT deal on a house on acreage in Waterport but have found information that it may not be the safest area to reside in long-term. The why's are vague.

Why would I NOT want to live in certain areas with reasonably close proximity to Rochester?

Thank you in advance.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM

93,220 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'klynBoy View Post
Thanks for your input, gt87, and for sharing great info. Ill look you up when I get there to pay up on that beer.

I would still appreciate further input especially slanted toward where to stay away from.

For example, I found a GREAT deal on a house on acreage in Waterport but have found information that it may not be the safest area to reside in long-term. The why's are vague.

Why would I NOT want to live in certain areas with reasonably close proximity to Rochester?

Thank you in advance.
According to and in terms of what?

Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM

61 posts, read 50,743 times
I would definately avoid Gates-Chili. Lots of traffic, crime and lack of appreciation for hard work of the government workers that keep things from going haywire.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance.

I don't know about Waterport, but it's near Albion and Medina which do have some questionable areas. Besides, Waterport is more than a half hour to the city. I would recommend you look in Hilton, Hamlin or Kendall. You can probably get a house right on the lake fairly reasonably. Other than that, I would say the #1 place to stay away from is an area in the city called the crescent. It is roughly an area just north of downtown. Between Mt Read Blvd and Culver Rd. Otherwise, most of the city is livable, with the SE quadrant the most desirable. All of the suburbs are very livable. The eastern suburbs are the more affluent and the west side more working class. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanks, A14626mom. Good stuff. Much appreciated. A beer for you too.

As for ckhthankgod. I'm not sure I understand your reply. Guessing what you mean: I gathered my information from postings on this site as well as general internet research which haven't 'glorified" that area.
In terms of, safety and crime mostly. Thanks for your time as well. I'm going to owe lots of beers when I arrive.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM

Thank You, JWRocks! Is that Rocks as in awesomeness, rock n roll or as in stones? . Great info. What's your brew of choice?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Sure, anytime! As for Waterport I don’t really have much input on that area. Not sure how someone could say it’s not safe since it’s just a tiny little town with not much around. Mostly agricultural I would assume?

As far as places to avoid I can only really speak for the westside. I would avoid parts of Greece and Gates. I work right where the city of Rochester, Greece, and Gates all meet so I’m pretty familiar with the area. Just a lot of sketchy people around. Lots of crime, mostly nonviolent, but still crime nonetheless. But they definitely have there share of violent crimes as well. Schools aren’t the greatest compared to most others in the area. Not a very tight community, lacks community pride. Mind you that is just my personal opinion.

There are some very bad parts of the city but there are pockets of nice areas as well. Houses in nice areas of the city seem to be pretty expensive with smaller lots so it may not be what you’re looking for.

I can’t really speak to much about places that may work on the Eastside. The people (not everyone) on the Eastside are not really my cup of tea. No offense to anyone on the east

Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 PM

384 posts, read 272,260 times
My recommendation is Hilton, Spencerport, or Brockport. All are a 20 minute commute to Rochester and less traffic because there is a higher concentration of suburbs south and east of the city (Pittsford, Penfield, Fairport, Webster). The 490/590 split near East Avenue and Winton Rd. can be very tricky inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon. Living in these communities west of Rochester puts you close to Lake Ontario. Northampton Park on Salmon Creek Rd. off Route 31 is also a great county park that has an annual Easter Egg Hunt, tobogganing, soccer fields, and cross country skiing. Adjacent to the park on Colby Street is Springdale Farm which has farm animals, a duck pond, and an annual sheep shearing festival in April. If you like golfing, there are a dozen courses within a 10 mile radius including Arrowhead, Pine Valley, Buttonwood Par 3, Salmon Creek, and Hickory Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area