Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 AM

69 posts, read 255,660 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Raleigh, NC and am entertaining a job offer in Rochester. My wife and I are originally from Syracuse and Utica but don't know much about Rochester. I see that the average property taxes are around $6,000. Can anyone give some information on affordable, preferrable newer homes in a good school district. We don't need a huge house - 1600 - 1900 SF. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Foley; 09-04-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Henreitta sounds like the town you would be aiming for...it has lower property taxes than most other Rochester suburbs, much newer housing stock (its one of the fastest growing towns in the state), and has great schools. It's always been seen as the "commercial suburb" because a huge portion of the town is business complexes and IT firms and such, but it is still a pretty nice place to live. Where do you live in Raleigh? We just moved back to the Rochester area last month after being in the Raleigh area (at that time Apex) for 12 years.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 AM

69 posts, read 255,660 times
Been in Raleigh 7 years. Used to live in Apex, now Holly Springs. I heard Webster is nice but is pretty expensive. I'll have to check out Henrietta. Do you miss NC at all?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
no...I do not miss NC at all...I missed Upstate NY, and that's why I came back. I'll admit to liking Apex, it was one of the few (possibly only) places we lived in Wake County that had a sense of community at all...but that went down hill fast just these past few years, and now it is basically an extension of Cary. Webster is very nice; newer housing stock because of a growing population, excellent schools, and it is right on the lake...but yes, it is more expensive than Henrietta and the taxes tend to be higher.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 100,126 times
Webster, Fairport, Penfield and Pittsford are more expensive towns with good schools. Henrietta and Brighton are also good towns with good schools. These areas have local colleges and universities nearby. Greece and Irondiquot (spelled wrong) are less expensive but border the city so finding a good area is important. I would say the first ones (like Webster) are farther out from the city but may be farther from more things. It all depends on what you are looking for in a town.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katek View Post
Webster, Fairport, Penfield and Pittsford are more expensive towns with good schools. Henrietta and Brighton are also good towns with good schools. These areas have local colleges and universities nearby. Greece and Irondiquot (spelled wrong) are less expensive but border the city so finding a good area is important. I would say the first ones (like Webster) are farther out from the city but may be farther from more things. It all depends on what you are looking for in a town.
I agree with some of this, but I wouldn't say that Greece is really close to the city. It borders a part of the city that is quite a ways from where you'd want to go (i.e. downtown, jobs, etc...). I lived in Greece for 5 years and it can be a 15 minute drive to get downtown. Unless you're working for Kodak or a store in between the two, I'd say Greece and Webster have an equal drive to downtown.

I agree that Webster, Fairport, Penfield and Pittsford have good schools and are close to Universities. I would add Brighton to these as well...especially since Brighton's property taxes can rival Pittsford's. Brighton is a more preserved neighborhood with restrictions on building new homes. Henrietta (which borders Brighton) is more up-and-coming. All the mentioned are good places to live.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,269 times
Default Confused on Rochester

My wife and I are in our early thirties with a nine year old. We live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I was just offered a promotion to head an office in Rochester. My job is in marketing with home improvement. I heard the summers are wonderful, will it offer me any possabilities of business in the winter? Down hear home improvements are year around, how about there? My wife is from Peru, however very educated and professional any comments? Our son is in the gifted program at a public school here, any advice on what to do or where to go, do you have spanish classes? And then housing,we will be first time buyers. We oppose to buy here, a two bedroom condo with no laundry inside is in the mid 200's. We don't want to raise our kid here, is Rochester or the Carolina's a better fit for us.
Uncertain in FL.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM

19 posts, read 60,397 times
Wow, it was like I was reading my life story when I read this! My husband and I are currently in Raleigh as well and originally from Utica/Rochester area, we are hoping to move back home to Clinton NY (outside of Utica) as well!! Any suggestions on networking for a job?

Good Luck to you!
Tracy

Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Upstate NY is so boring.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM

136 posts, read 998,460 times
Default Boring blanket statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Upstate NY is so boring.
Please post thoughtful material, not lazy knee-jerk responses.

What one may consider boring, others may consider priceless. What others may consider excitement, others may consider a waste of time and money.

We are all far to unique to make blanket statements. Upstate appeals to so many people for so many reasons. My lifestyle would probably seem boring or overly simplistic to many people, but I wouldn't trade places with very many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area