Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,727 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have several questions, as I am making a HUGE change in my life. I am moving 800 miles away from the town I grew up in in Michigan, to the Roanoke area. Alone with my 4 children ranging in ages from 4-14, to escape an abusive situation with their dad. I don't know anyone in the area. I don't have a whole lot of time to do the tons and tons of research I want to do, I need to do this fast, but I'm trying to, scrambling to search the internet for information and read while I'm also working 60 hours a week trying to make more moving money as fast as I can. So please any locals who have a moment to read through this long post and all of my questions and offer me any bit of advice you want to at all to give me some kind of direction, you'd be doing me such a service.

I am a registered nurse and Carilion is offering a hefty sign on bonus that's hard to turn down. What kind of reputation do they have as a hospital in general?Also, I've read some reviews online that they don't pay as well as other hospitals in the area. Would it be worth it to take a smaller sign on bonus somewhere else? Where would you recommend, anywhere within about an hour radius of the Roanoke area, I'm really not settled on where exactly to go yet. Also need to start quickly, I need to leave asap.

Best place to search online for available rentals? Need a house at least 3 bedrooms but would really prefer 4. Which towns and neighborhoods would you recommend which would you avoid? We aren't super fancy people, but we don't wanna live in the hood either. I can afford $1700-$1800 a month in rent if I had to but would love it I could keep it at $1500. Also I don't have the best credit. Financial abuse and manipulation was part of my abusive marriage. However my rental history is excellent. No evictions and only lived in 2 residences in the last 10 years. Any tips on property management companies or anything that would give me a shot? I have money for deposit and rent and all of that, that's not a concern. I'll settle for an apartment or townhouse if it has 3 bedrooms, if I have to. Any apartments or townhouses you know of that have 4 bedrooms? Are there any mobile home communities that are actually nice and not total trash? Best schools? Schools to avoid? I do have one child who will require special education services, a middle schooler. Schools with a good before and after school program would be amazing, and if there were a preschool in or near the elementary too that would be even better. An area to live in with parks we can walk to?

Also, I'm going to need to get a lawyer like asap when I get there as well, so one who will get me in quickly. A really good divorce/family lawyer. And no, you're not helping me kidnap my children. Because we are still married, I can leave. I am fleeing a domestic violence situation, that is heavily documented with the police and courts. That hasn't stopped him. I have to get away.

So. Good mental health providers. My kids and I need to reach out for some therapy. We have been through a lot, and I am uprooting them from their entire life. Therapists that are good with children?

Mom groups, even online ones, where I can maybe make a friend to have play dates with our kids? I'm not religious so church isn't something we do.

And this is 100% superficial and not actually important and won't play a huge factor in any choices. But what areas have the best mountain views? Oh how I want to see mountains in my daily life. I love the mountains so. That was definitely a factor in choosing this area to begin with.

If you read this far, thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 08:23 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Welcome to Virginia.

Sorry in advance for answering your questions a bit out of order. I have lived in Lynchburg for the past two years but we visit Roanoke every now and then. It's a nice town. Although if I had to choose between these two cities I'd probably choose Lynchburg (not that Roanoke is bad, it just fits our lifestyles better).

From what I know, the Cave Spring area is pretty highly regarded for people with kids in school. Top notch school district and safe, rather affluent area. Looks like there are some rentals within your budget in the district:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...05506434_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...63256200_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/b/pebble-cree...oke-va-BHb2yC/

Also nearby but in a different, also highly regarded school district:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...73401528_zpid/

I'd focus your housing search in those areas since you can definitely afford it. Make sure you look up online reviews of both the property management companies posting these rentals and the individual complexes themselves.

Far as mountain views go, you pretty much see them even if you're just driving around town running errands. We even see them from where we are in Lynchburg, which is a lot further away.

Carillion's reputation (from what I've heard) is pretty good at least from the people I've spoken to over here in Lynchburg. None of the hospitals in Roanoke/Lynchburg are going to pay you like what the ones in Charlottesville/Richmond/NVA are going to pay you, but the cost of living is so cheap down here I don't really see it as a bad thing.

Wishing you the best. We are also from the snow covered North and life down here is 10x better.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Welcome to Virginia.

Sorry in advance for answering your questions a bit out of order. I have lived in Lynchburg for the past two years but we visit Roanoke every now and then. It's a nice town. Although if I had to choose between these two cities I'd probably choose Lynchburg (not that Roanoke is bad, it just fits our lifestyles better).

From what I know, the Cave Spring area is pretty highly regarded for people with kids in school. Top notch school district and safe, rather affluent area. Looks like there are some rentals within your budget in the district:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...05506434_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...63256200_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/b/pebble-cree...oke-va-BHb2yC/

Also nearby but in a different, also highly regarded school district:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...73401528_zpid/

I'd focus your housing search in those areas since you can definitely afford it. Make sure you look up online reviews of both the property management companies posting these rentals and the individual complexes themselves.

Far as mountain views go, you pretty much see them even if you're just driving around town running errands. We even see them from where we are in Lynchburg, which is a lot further away.

Carillion's reputation (from what I've heard) is pretty good at least from the people I've spoken to over here in Lynchburg. None of the hospitals in Roanoke/Lynchburg are going to pay you like what the ones in Charlottesville/Richmond/NVA are going to pay you, but the cost of living is so cheap down here I don't really see it as a bad thing.

Wishing you the best. We are also from the snow covered North and life down here is 10x better.
Thank you, this is great, very useful information.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:17 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
Im not sure how much help I could be. Just a personal anecdote. My wife and I are thinking of moving to Roanoke as well.
We have visited and like it. One important thing is health care as im retired. We visited Carillon one day and ran into a very nice woman who worked in their building department and she spent some time explaining about the hospital. We were impressed. They also are doing a 400 million expansion and it seems to me as a nurse you could have some great opportunities with them if they treat you well.

Maybe just maybe a call to their human resources department explaining your situation they may have someone who can help with the logistics. Also their response to your needs may be a sign of either positive or negative in regards to them as your employer.

As for where to live you got some good advice from Mr. Jones and for sure would seem to me the better school districts are the place to look with 4 kids even i it costs a bit more.

we were thinking of buying but was perusing some rental ads and I would bet you would find something decent in your $ range. And if you have that good rental history and local new employment you should be ok.

The mountain views are great but you cant get them directly from everywhere you would live.

But just knowing they are right there close is a good feeling. nLots of outdoor activities nearby and better weather.

Best of luck and enjoy. maybe you will take care of me in the heart unit someday. Dont screw up my meds ok!

Old 03-15-2021, 03:16 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
It sounds like you are wanting to make a decision fairly quickly. Roanoke City tends to be "hit or miss" in terms of school situations, and most likely the most affordable rentals would tend to fall in the school zones that would be less desirable.

If I were you I would concentrate on Roanoke County and Salem City. Salem has one high school, and the schools are highly supported. You may find yourself needing to get into an available rental fairly quickly, so with time, you might be able to find something better (I know - it's terrible to move again - but be prepared) - so I think it might be wise to find a school that is acceptable and then you can keep looking as needed.

We were house shopping in 2018 but we were shopping to buy - and I am guessing good rentals might be hard to find.

Roanoke County is shaped like a doughnut that completely encircles the middle of the doughnut which would be Roanoke City and Salem City. The school district correspond to the county/city lines.

Starting at the north there are five high schools in Roanoke County - going counterclockwise - Northside, William Byrd (includes the town of Vinton), Cave Spring, Hidden Valley and Glenvar.

Glenvar is the far edge of Salem and is smaller and more rural.

None of these Roanoke County middle/high schools have a terrible reputation, although individual elementaries will vary quite a bit.

Hidden Valley and Cave Spring have probably the best "reputation" and also the most wealthy neighborhoods in those zones, but I don't think you could go wrong with the others.

I know people who will say "I will never go to Lewis Gale because of *insert anecdote*" and people who will say "I will never go to Carilion because of *insert anecdote*" but honestly most of us simply choose a physician and then go to the hospital that physician uses. Carilion is a higher level trauma care center and is huge, but Lewis Gale has its fans as well.

As someone else noted - the mountain views are everywhere you turn - one of the lovely features of the area!

Blacksburg and Christiansburg are also options - but there is a lot of college student housing which may or may not fit what you are looking for. (Lots of parties too.)

If you see a rental advertised online and would like a quick opinion - feel free to direct message me and I'll let ya know.

I do Uber driving on the side so I get a bit of a feel for which areas are calm and which ones might be a little sketchier.

Actually I will direct message you some commentary on various zip codes that I prepared for someone else! Good luck!

Old 03-15-2021, 03:33 PM

16 posts, read 21,220 times
I used to live in Lynchburg and worked in Roanoke a lot.

I have not heard any specific complains about Carilion (unlike Sentera in Harrisonburg and Halifax/South Boston), I have worked with some of their clinics, and have no complaints.

I would look at Daleville. You will only be 20 min from downtown/central Roanoke, and they are adding on new subdivisions and building a new modern suburb here. But there are other options too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area