Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 AM

49 posts, read 174,320 times

Advertisements

We will move to richmond in March 2008, and we come from France so I have no idea about school and level in Richmond (or in USA).

We will move in the FAN area, in the district of Willian Fox elementary school. Is it a nice school with a good level? is it a secure school?

My daughter is 3 years old: can she go to an elementary school? can she go to this school in March or does she wait until next september?

Thanks for your answer and if you know a nice school in this area do not hesitate to tell me (public or private school).

Many Thanks,

Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 AM

111 posts, read 429,579 times
I don't have kids but I do live in the Fan. Fox Elementary seems to be a great school. The parents are very involved and they host a popular festival every year. Sorry I can't offer any more info, but you should be happy with the school.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,303 times
I grew up in the Fan and attended William Fox Elementary. The Fan has evolved over the years (I'm 61), but has continued to be populated by people who are educated and to whom education is of primary importance. I would not be surprised if Fox doesn't have some of the best teachers to be had in the area. The parents expected it when I was there, and they worked with the city and the school board when necessary to keep it that way.

I recall when the boundary between John Marshall HS and Thomas Jefferson HS was at Harrison Street. TJ was the school with the AP courses and more language offerings, but the Park Ave. crew east of West Avenue had to attend John Marshall. With the backing of the Fox PTA, the boundary was extended east to Laurel Street - accommodating several families in the Fan whose children needed the enriched environment at TJ.

The atmoshpere at Fox was one of respect and orderliness. The teachers were truly loved by their students, and, for me anyway, their guidance was formative and in line with my family's values. As a Mary Washington and twice-UVa graduate, I can say that the foundation for their Honor System was set as early in my life while I was a student at Fox School.

We loved being able to walk to and from school - there was no City School Bus system, but I learned to ride the bus in bad weather when I was in kindergarten ... the safety patrols saw that we made it to and from Grove Avenue safely.

There couldn't have been a better place for one to begin his/her education. I have stayed in touch with two friends from those years ... we had the benefit of going through school in the "Sputnik group" - the first to be accelerated in math, science, language arts, and history - one of the country's efforts to catch up with the Russians.

Nostalgic? Yes, I am an old Richmonder, and glad to be so!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:51 AM

38 posts, read 138,420 times
I, also, live in the Fan. I don't have children but I think William Fox Elementary is positively charming and would definitely consider it if I did have children.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:50 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,328,453 times
Fox should be a fine elementary school, but 3 is a bit young to start Elementary school. Perhaps they have a pre-school program?

A good private school nearby is St. Benedict Catholic School, a few blocks west of The Fan in the Museum District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond