Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 08:08 AM

83 posts, read 21,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
You're making my point. It "looks" much bigger. But it's people going to work there and going back home....leaving it a ghost town at night. Like Stamford, which also looks like a big city whilst passing it on 95
This is true. Although Stamford is 52sq mi in land area. Double the size of Hartford and Providence, but Providence obviously has a bigger population compared to Stamford's 135,000 pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2024, 08:11 AM

13,155 posts, read 22,417,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
You're making my point. It "looks" much bigger. But it's people going to work there and going back home....leaving it a ghost town at night. Like Stamford, which also looks like a big city whilst passing it on 95
Exactly. All three of these urban areas have between 980k and 1.3 million people. They are very similarly sized cities on paper. But while downtown Hartford and Downtown Richmond have bigger skylines (and more office workers during the weekday), they empty out after hours. Downtown Providence has plenty of room to improve, but it's still far more well-rounded than either of the other two. So no, counting downtown high rises from the highway doesn't really tell you anything about a city. Particularly about its size or its vibrancy.

Old 07-05-2024, 08:24 AM

23,997 posts, read 19,367,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly. All three of these urban areas have between 980k and 1.3 million people. They are very similarly sized cities on paper. But while downtown Hartford and Downtown Richmond have bigger skylines (and more office workers during the weekday), they empty out after hours. Downtown Providence has plenty of room to improve, but it's still far more well-rounded than either of the other two. So no, counting downtown high rises from the highway doesn't really tell you anything about a city. Particularly about its size or its vibrancy.

So this discussion has now turned to "vibrancy" and the number of watering holes? Not going to argue about that, I don't really know about Richmond in that regard...

But you know full well that the "urban area" is trash for Providence. Fall River, New Bedford, and Taunton are not Providence. Neither is West Warwick or even Pawtucket for that matter. Richmond is the dominant hub of its metro in a way that Providence absolutely is not.

Old 07-06-2024, 10:32 AM

9,383 posts, read 15,101,186 times
EXpanded view on visiting Providence

https://www.cnn.com/travel/providenc...ica/index.html

Old Today, 09:38 AM

13,155 posts, read 22,417,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
EXpanded view on visiting Providence

https://www.cnn.com/travel/providenc...ica/index.html
Thanks! I can't wait to try Cielito. I actually hadn't heard of the Courtland Club either. I'll add it to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island