Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,838 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-
I was just hired to teach at a charter school in Providence, and am looking into where I might like to live starting in August. Being a new teacher, I would like to spend $750 a month or less on living. The school is in the West End, a few blocks from Dexter Field. Ideally, I would love to walk or ride my bicycle to school on nice days. I know the school is not in the fanciest neighborhood, but it doesn't seem like a dangerous one, either.
I would love to be in Providence, but I'm not opposed to a 10-15 min or less car commute. I would LOVE to be able to walk a few blocks from to a coffee shop and "stuff" (I've lived in small-small towns most of my life). I want to be able to walk down the street without being murdered, but I also am not afraid of lower-income areas. I'm pretty street smart (went to college in NYC). It helps that though I'm a woman, I'm over 6' tall!

So, if I said:
-walk to "stuff" (shops, restaurants, etc)
- reasonably safe
- hopefully bikeable to the West End / or short car commute...

where would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 AM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Look in Federal Hill - specifically the area near Atwells and DePasquale Avenue.
Lots of young people, many restaurants and shops. I think this is the best closest section to your job.

http://federalhillprov.com/

Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times
The West Side, around Fed Hill or Broadway would be fine, or the East Side, still convenient and very pleasant. Both being areas with older houses, sometimes that can be the biggest issue. Windows that are seriously in need of replacement, let in some serious cold air, and if on the first floor, for security reasons too, at least on the West Side.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
Check out the area around River Ave north of Chalkstone. Lots of 3 family homes with the smaller units on the 3rd floor.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM

I'd have to nix River Ave.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,838 times
Why is that?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 PM

100 posts, read 428,286 times
Federal Hill is probably the best choice due to its proximity to your work, but the East Side has a very good young people vibe due to Brown and is very walkable and pretty safe. The commute would be super short by car. Wayland Square would be a good option (too close to Brown is expensive).

Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
River Ave up by Smith St? Perfectly good area.

I wouldn't go down by Chalkstone but even that is not an unsafe area. I'd go there before I'd go to Federal Hill. Some areas up there are not much better than South Providence.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM

How long have you been gone Annie?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 30,528 times
Well, If you're looking to be withing walking or biking distance to your school, you could stay in the West End. I know there is a few places on Bellevue Ave for rent. Or maybe you can find something along Potters Ave, like Chambers St. or one of those other side streets. It's nothing too fancy but not where the main crime is focused. Also, if the school you are going to be teaching at is Alfred Lima Elementary, good luck! I don't know if it's changed, but when my nephew's kid went there, my sister and a handful of other parents and the principal had to sleep on the roof just to get a couple hundred parents to come to a pta meeting. Ask when you get there, I'm sure they'll tell you all about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island