Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 07:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I find it odd too that people back their own PJs like they're going to a sleep over, LOL

I guess they're lucky they've never actually been an inpatient with tubes in every orifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 PM

1,205 posts, read 937,062 times
I have 8, all of which I could stash in my purse except the iPad: Chapstick, dental floss, those little silicone ear plugs, a small hand lotion, extra long chargers for iPad and iPhone, and the iPad and iPhone. The first four are all little things I wished I had on a few different hospital stays. But I never asked for them, so maybe could have gotten them there?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:37 PM

23,345 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
I have 8, all of which I could stash in my purse except the iPad: Chapstick, dental floss, those little silicone ear plugs, a small hand lotion, extra long chargers for iPad and iPhone, and the iPad and iPhone. The first four are all little things I wished I had on a few different hospital stays. But I never asked for them, so maybe could have gotten them there?
Lip balm, lotion, toothpaste and brush (don't know about dental floss...you really couldn't survive with out it for 3 days?) and possibly simple ear plugs should all be available. I didn't have the charger cord for my phone. They had several at the nurse's station to borrow.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:38 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
If you suddenly have to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, what items would you pack in your emergency bag? What items would you want to have with you during your initial short hospital stay? Do you have to have a supply of clean pajamas, etc...packed for this event? What other things might go into the emergency bag that a patient would need for two or three days?
I keep nothing packed. I'd like to have my phone any my purse/wallet. The hospital would provide everything else that I needed.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I had a bad GI bleed in 2003. When the ambulance arrived, I was lying on the floor naked, with my wallet and keys in my hands. After my parents showed up, they took my wallet and keys home, so I literally had no possessions. I pen and notepad would have been nice, though.
Sorry, but I laughed out loud picturing you naked on the floor, with your keys & wallet, waiting for the ambulance.

I once fell in the shower and the ambulance staff were very surprised that I was dressed when they arrived. I told them that it was "too darn cold" to be in an ambulance naked (and I was able to just throw on the clothes that I had just taken off before the shower).

I don't have an emergency bag for me going to the hospital, but I had one for me when my husband would go to the hospital. In addition to things for me (a book, snacks, phone charger, notebook, pen) I always brought several laminated 8 by 10 photographs of our family to hang up in the hospital room (plus tape to tape them up). Not only did they cheer up my husband but he seemed to have better care when the staff knew that there were people who loved him (if I wasn't there at the time).

Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed. My ex was in and out of the hospital so much that she just took her phone and a charger. If she was admitted, I'd bring her a few more things.
That and your ID and proof of insurance
You can have someone you trust return the last two after you use them
Our son has been in hospital since Nov 15 (except for 5 days) and he has really needed very little because he feels like crap...

Old 01-20-2020, 08:15 PM

300 posts, read 149,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Nothing.

It's best to take nothing to the hospital, except your purse or wallet and a cellphone. If you have an advanced directive/living will, take that if you can. If not they will have you fill out another one before surgery. If someone is coming with you to the hospital, you can give them your wallet or purse to mind/ take home for you after check in. You won't be wearing your own pajamas, so don't bring them. They don't like that at the hospital because they can't get to the parts of your body that they need to do things to. Those gowns are ugly, but are purpose-built for the hospital's needs. If you are dressed when the ambulance arrives, then you will have the same clothes to go home in, unless they had to cut them off of you. If you weren't dressed, someone can bring you some clothes. Otherwise, they will give you some disposable scrubs to wear home. Everything else the hospital will give you...toothbrush and paste, comb, etc. They won't be letting you take your own meds, they will provide those too. Honestly you get moved around at the hospital, and it becomes a pain to keep track of your stuff if you bring anything. Leave all jewelry and valuables at home. You will probably be taking off your rings for any surgery, so you might as well leave those at home. Don't take anything that you would be upset about losing.

When you are taken by ambulance, it's generally an emergency and they don't have time for you to pack a bag.
thank you!! this is very helpful.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Hmm, I've never given a thought to an emergency bag for the hospital. They supply everything including the worst toothbrush in the world and skid proof socks that come in two sizes: large and extra large. Good luck if you have small feet. There's usually a phone in the hospital room so I would probably pack a small bag with my glasses in case I was wearing my contacts when the emergency happened, my earplugs and breathe rite strips. :-)

I spend 11 days in the hospital in 2018 with pancreatitis and I was so drugged up on morphine I barely remember anything other than wishing I had a nicer toothbrush and a towel that didn't feel like sandpaper when I was finally able to take a shower.
very helpful, thank you

Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Emergency Bag

Nylons, a carton of Lucky Strikes, chocolate, $100 cash in small bills, and a .45
I was also thinking about a fifth of jack Daniels in addition to all of the above.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That and your ID and proof of insurance
You can have someone you trust return the last two after you use them
Our son has been in hospital since Nov 15 (except for 5 days) and he has really needed very little because he feels like crap...
maybe planning ahead would allow him to have more contentment in his situation. Is there anything he might find joy in? Get him a game device. You might find this thread helpful as well. Apparently there's a lot of down time in as a patient and therefore an opportunity to explore and learn, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement