Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,610,928 times

Advertisements

How silly is that? Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with a certain amount of cynicism I suddenly found tears in my eyes when Santa made his spectacular entrance aboard a three-story high sleigh replete with Mrs. Claus, the elves, and blowing snow. Being a woman of certain years I realized what I was feeling was nostalgia for childhood Christmases so long ago I can barely remember.

But our family was all together, seven siblings and mom and dad. None of the heartache that was to come, with the early death of our mother followed by a lifetime of the usual trials and tribulations among seven brothers and sisters - divorce, illness, hard times, death of children, estrangement. Of course there have been wonderful times too but I think I was crying for the innocence of childhood Christmases before life doled out the usual.

What about you? Do you also have fond memories of Christmas past? Or is nostalgia a wasted emotion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
If you can feel a surge of emotion over a fond memory, how can it be thought to be wasted?
Our lives weren't lived to be forgotten by us.
We forget enough at it is, without wanting to

Old 11-28-2013, 12:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,920,805 times
I enjoyed reading your little essay, Lost Roses. Whether nostalgia is a wasted emotion or not, I do not believe we have a choice about experiencing it. Some people seem to be immune to nostalgia and others feel it strongly. I feel it strongly, and memories of Christmases past, reinforced by 8 mm films of us kids opening our presents, are bittersweet for me because I realize that our parents tried hard for us kids despite their own considerable psychological limitations. Their genuine efforts are sort of like the other side of the coin, and there is a certain sadness about it.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:08 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,473,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
How silly is that? Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with a certain amount of cynicism I suddenly found tears in my eyes when Santa made his spectacular entrance aboard a three-story high sleigh replete with Mrs. Claus, the elves, and blowing snow. Being a woman of certain years I realized what I was feeling was nostalgia for childhood Christmases so long ago I can barely remember.

But our family was all together, seven siblings and mom and dad. None of the heartache that was to come, with the early death of our mother followed by a lifetime of the usual trials and tribulations among seven brothers and sisters - divorce, illness, hard times, death of children, estrangement. Of course there have been wonderful times too but I think I was crying for the innocence of childhood Christmases before life doled out the usual.

What about you? Do you also have fond memories of Christmas past? Or is nostalgia a wasted emotion?

I can relate more than I wish to; we, my siblings and self, as kids would watch the parade more so in anticipation for the movie "The March of The Wooden Soldiers". I don't believe they air the movie anymore, but even if they did, I wouldn't be able to watch it without waterfall filled eyes, both for the nostalgia of living in those moments and the longing for the company of my siblings whom I don't have the pleasure of being able the share holidays with them anymore. I have the same reaction every time I hear a set of lyrics from The Wizard of OZ, "we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz. Just reminds me of a very special moment of skipping down the street with my brother who died tragic death.

But these same memories evoke pleasurable thoughts as much as sadness, just somehow always leads to tears for a moment.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
OP, I love your story because of what Santa reminds you of.

On my part, I never related to the jolly old gent. Not sure why. I made sure the kids, when little, had their moment with him though. Nowadays when I see a Santa all I can think of is Christmas materialism and big box stores. I'm not moved. I have mixed feelings about promoting "Santa" with my grandkids but will do my best.

A positive Christmas memory for me, which reminds me of the happier times in a troubled childhood, is when I see a wreath with glass balls on it and a certain kind of ribbon, on a door on a snowy day. The fresh green (real) wreath has a lot of symbolism for me, and it's simple. Fresh-cut trees with sparse branches with a few old-fashioned long skinny ornaments gets to my memories too. Things that sparkle and shine, but not overdone. Which reminds me, I have to dig out my room-darkening curtains as the blaring Disney lights on either side of me go up soon!

Old 11-28-2013, 04:06 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,374,717 times
That innocence can never be recaptured, just remembered. Today's family holidays have everyone looking at their cell phones as an escape, blended and estranged families that hardly know each other or wish they didn't, too much alcohol, bickering, etc.; if it was going on in the 50s when I was a child I was totally unaware of it. Those were good times and worthy of today's tears.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
That innocence can never be recaptured, just remembered. Today's family holidays have everyone looking at their cell phones as an escape, blended and estranged families that hardly know each other or wish they didn't, too much alcohol, bickering, etc.; if it was going on in the 50s when I was a child I was totally unaware of it. Those were good times and worthy of today's tears.
Well said.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:25 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,473,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OP, I love your story because of what Santa reminds you of.

On my part, I never related to the jolly old gent. Not sure why. I made sure the kids, when little, had their moment with him though. Nowadays when I see a Santa all I can think of is Christmas materialism and big box stores. I'm not moved. I have mixed feelings about promoting "Santa" with my grandkids but will do my best.

A positive Christmas memory for me, which reminds me of the happier times in a troubled childhood, is when I see a wreath with glass balls on it and a certain kind of ribbon, on a door on a snowy day. The fresh green (real) wreath has a lot of symbolism for me, and it's simple. Fresh-cut trees with sparse branches with a few old-fashioned long skinny ornaments gets to my memories too. Things that sparkle and shine, but not overdone. Which reminds me, I have to dig out my room-darkening curtains as the blaring Disney lights on either side of me go up soon!
Made me laugh.

Agree about the promoting the big box ideals of today, but it gives me great pleasure to see a child's smile when they're eyes light up as the sight of Santa. It's the adults fault for teaching them the materialistic set values.

But ole nick aint what he used to appear to be these days, you're likely to see him drinking up in between sets.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:54 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,610,928 times
You have all captured the feeling so well, thank you so much for your thoughts! Good times and worthy of todays tears is a great sentiment. TRosa, the room darkening curtains idea is so funny! The lights at the nursing home complex behind my house can probably be seen from space. I never need a nightlight in the kitchen during the holidays.

New England girl, we certainly didn't have decorations in the old days like we do now. The simple wreaths always resonate better with me too rather than the Disney inflatables. Also, the simple gifts. An elderly aunt used to send our family a box of pears each Christmas. It sounds ridiculous now but we were so thrilled to see those pears each wrapped in gold foil on a bed of green "grass." Of course we didn't have the electronics to yearn for either!

And I have to admit, when I saw Santa today the thought that he might be drinking up between sets occurred to me too. The cynicism! But that's where the nostalgia comes in. If it was ever like that when we were kids, we didn't know it.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM

372 posts, read 576,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you can feel a surge of emotion over a fond memory, how can it be thought to be wasted?
Our lives weren't lived to be forgotten by us.
We forget enough at it is, without wanting to
I loved this response. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement