Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,606,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
But we HAVE an excellent rental history already is what I am saying. A decade's worth plus.

And I'm not making excuses either.
No i mean no excuses to mean pay your rent on time and dont use an excuse if you cant make a payment about why you cant.. i mean do whatever it takes to pay your rent on time always.

If you have a good rental history, then i dont understand what is the problem.

and i dont think you may have understood my original point. It was a kind of encouragement to you that if you have to, you may need to start small but to be encouraged that if you do that, and pay your rent faithfully you can rebuild a good rent history now even though you didn't have such a good one previously, which is why you started this thread right? your worried about some things hampering your current situation or at least thats what I interpreted your original post to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
No i mean no excuses to mean pay your rent on time and dont use an excuse if you cant make a payment about why you cant.. i mean do whatever it takes to pay your rent on time always.

If you have a good rental history, then i dont understand what is the problem.

and i dont think you may have understood my original point. It was a kind of encouragement to you that if you have to, you may need to start small but to be encouraged that if you do that, and pay your rent faithfully you can rebuild a good rent history now even though you didn't have such a good one previously, which is why you started this thread right? your worried about some things hampering your current situation or at least thats what I interpreted your original post to be.
No, LOL, we have some recent CREDIT CARD lates but now your post makes more sense to me. Our rent has never been late, we have a good rental history, it's just a few recent lates on the credit cards. We never have not paid our rent or paid it late, the only thing is that we paid a couple of credit cards late. We actually have a solid rental payment history and stellar rental references, up to and including now. As far as the credit goes, there are no collections, charge offs etc just some late payments on credit cards.

I asked because the late payments were recent (like paid the credit cards late the last 2-3 months and still working to get them current) and I didn't know how THAT part of things would be viewed. Part of why we are moving is for opportunity and to be closer to family (we had previously relocated 3 years ago and really have no family near us, this relocation will put us near family and friends). My husband will be going from a family owned company back to the corporation he worked for previously. It's actually much more stable for him than where we are. The bankruptcy was a bit of a non issue for potential landlords when we relocated here because I was upfront with the circumstances and how I had delayed filing etc. We were accepted at all three rentals we had applied to live in.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
Quote:
My husband changed jobs in December after being recruited by another firm for a better opportunity, and then was subjected to a partial layoff a mere 6 weeks later, about 1/3 of his salary. Obviously, this hurts financially and career-wise, and his prior position was filled so going back wasn't possible. I haven't been able to find a full time job and was working part time but was laid off in November.

Because of this, we had already exhausted our savings and were slowly tackling debt when this happened. Losing a 3rd of your salary is huge, and some (not all) of our bills have gotten behind (credit cards). We still paid our rent, insurance (including renter's, vehicle, and ADT service) etc timely. Obviously, the recent lates to my husband's credit have tanked his scores. We are still trying to make arrangements with some of the credit cards (some are more willing than others to help you out, it's a process) but it's not an issue we are ignoring. Prior to the past few months, my husband had a perfect payment history for 10 years. We have two children and made the decision to feed and house them (with heat) as the priority.

My credit is good now, but short history and low limit cards with an old bankruptcy (discharge was over 4 years ago, but the issues that led to it are over 8 years now and not even on my credit report). Still paid my rent timely every month though.

We have the opportunity to move to a new area for a more stable corporate job with more earning potential and a lower cost of living. (We don't anticipate him even having a job at his current 6 months from now, business is sinking like the Titanic, so this is a preemptive move for us) We would be bringing a decent northern salary to a southern state. The area we are in is just dried up for his field right now for a liveable wage.

Together, we have 8 years of rental history, plus I have my own history from 2001. Our current landlord has agreed to write us a letter and the complex we rented at previously will give a positive reference. We have no evictions or judgements.

So
-no evictions or judgements
-clean criminal history
-Positive rental payment history (I've always had my full security deposits returned, even from the 2 complexes I rented from)
-Great references (personal, professional, and rental)
-good employment history
-Carry renter's insurance
-Good payment history on credit until very recently

If you WOULD rent to us, what would you expect?
If you wouldn't, what is it that would turn you away?
If you are on the fence, what would sway you?
Here that is a pretty good profile better than most
You are not anything like my clients
What I have a hard time understanding in this biz is why people search for a high rent place insist in flawless condition before move in and then trash it in 90 days

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,606,995 times
Quote:
No, LOL, we have some recent CREDIT CARD lates but now your post makes more sense to me. Our rent has never been late, we have a good rental history, it's just a few recent lates on the credit cards. We never have not paid our rent or paid it late, the only thing is that we paid a couple of credit cards late. We actually have a solid rental payment history and stellar rental references, up to and including now. As far as the credit goes, there are no collections, charge offs etc just some late payments on credit cards.

I asked because the late payments were recent (like paid the credit cards late the last 2-3 months and still working to get them current) and I didn't know how THAT part of things would be viewed. Part of why we are moving is for opportunity and to be closer to family (we had previously relocated 3 years ago and really have no family near us, this relocation will put us near family and friends). My husband will be going from a family owned company back to the corporation he worked for previously. It's actually much more stable for him than where we are. The bankruptcy was a bit of a non issue for potential landlords when we relocated here because I was upfront with the circumstances and how I had delayed filing etc. We were accepted at all three rentals we had applied to live in.
Hi - just read your post, a red flag went off in my head. Your credit report. You probably know that every late payment is recorded on your credit report. Some landlords might have a big issue with that.. Have you checked your credit report recently (with a credit score would help). See if there are any other red flags that would create a problem.. As I understand those late payments can be the thing that screws up an otherwise good record. "just some late payments" MIGHT really be a huge difference in getting things or not getting things. As far as I understand a credit report late payments are cardinal sins.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
Quote:
His salary alone will be more than 3x the monthly rent.
This plus your salary, and you still cannot make your credit card payments? And all that debt accrued since the bankruptcy? What is that about?

I agree that the real problems with your application are not the things you think are problems.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
This plus your salary, and you still cannot make your credit card payments? And all that debt accrued since the bankruptcy? What is that about?

I agree that the real problems with your application are not the things you think are problems.

1. MY bankruptcy (NOTE: MY HUSBAND DID NOT FILE) was PRIOR to our marriage (although we were engaged and living together), all the debts I discharged happened prior to even meeting him.

2. I have no late payments on my credit report and no accounts have been late or unpaid on my credit report. The late payments are on 4 of my husband's credit cards. They are not UNPAID, they were paid, only paid LATE. He has paid the remaining cards timely. We take care of our children first and foremost by providing them with things like a roof over their heads, heat, electric, etc, Yes, we prioritized what got paid first.

3. I have not accrued "all this debt" since MY bankruptcy, I have a couple cards, small limits, now and my student loans, which do not go away in a bankruptcy. I have no real salary at the moment as I mentioned in the first post. I have not worked full time since we relocated to Connecticut, and was laid off from my part time job in November. (and yes, I have looked for full time work in that time, since it was assumed I didn't) so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion you did.

Please, people, read. This is just getting ridiculous. I am not sure how this has devolved into discussions about cat urine, my brand new cars and their payments (that I don't have btw), that I haven't looked for a job, or all the other assumptions being made but it was a pretty black and white question. I didn't ask about my cats or what you feel is a manageable amount of debt etc.

So, let's try this again.

-Are a few recent credit card lates on an otherwise good application (fantastic rental references with ZERO lates, maintain renter's insurance, no criminal history, decent salary etc) really going to be a big enough factor that would warrant rejection? If so, what would make you change your mind (more time? larger deposit? cosigner?) etc.

-Is it something that can be overlooked when balanced against all the other positive factors?

Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Here that is a pretty good profile better than most
You are not anything like my clients
What I have a hard time understanding in this biz is why people search for a high rent place insist in flawless condition before move in and then trash it in 90 days

Thanks for answering.

I would guess someone who is looking for a high rent place only to trash it likely did so without the intent to pay it, they're scum. I have no idea why people trash places. I don't understand it at all. We treat our rentals like they should be, we live there, it's our HOME. Or those people who ignore small problems that fester and cause bigger ones (like a leaking pipe etc) This is probably why I've always received my security deposits back in full.

We look for an affordable place within our budget in a safe location. I don't care about high end finishes etc, I just want a safe, clean place to borrow for a while LOL. (but safe and clean is mandatory.. and I don't mean, a little dirty is a problem, I'm talking about some places that we saw when we lived on Long Island.. OMG they were awful. Just... awful.. like you walk in and want to run immediately outside awful.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,032,093 times
Quote:
Please, people, read.
TWO WAY STREET!

If you stop reading individual replies and just read the replies, you have your answer.

Each individual landlord will decide the merits of the information based on their own personal reasons. Some will not care, others will. Some will see you as a deadbeat, others as a responsible party. Some will fixate on what credit cards you have open and others will base their decission on the color of your fingernail polish. One may care little about your financial position but will go crazy over the notion of a smelly cat, others will love your pets to death but will flip out over any student debt.

There isi no answer but the answer the landlord you apply for gives you. What one person says here has no bearing on what the landlrod where you apply will say. You are still fishing for a precise answer when every answer you have been given is that prcise answer. All we can tell you is what we as individuals feel and that means jack nothing as to what the landlord you apply to will feel. You don't need to be asking us, you need to be asking the landlrod you want to rent from.
Quote:
This is just getting ridiculous.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
TWO WAY STREET!

If you stop reading individual replies and just read the replies, you have your answer.

Each individual landlord will decide the merits of the information based on their own personal reasons. Some will not care, others will. Some will see you as a deadbeat, others as a responsible party. Some will fixate on what credit cards you have open and others will base their decission on the color of your fingernail polish. One may care little about your financial position but will go crazy over the notion of a smelly cat, others will love your pets to death but will flip out over any student debt.

There isi no answer but the answer the landlord you apply for gives you. What one person says here has no bearing on what the landlrod where you apply will say. You are still fishing for a precise answer when every answer you have been given is that prcise answer. All we can tell you is what we as individuals feel and that means jack nothing as to what the landlord you apply to will feel. You don't need to be asking us, you need to be asking the landlrod you want to rent from.

Yes, I get that individual responses will vary, but I am looking to see if there is something more we can do PREEMPTIVELY when dealing with landlords (as in, "hey we know there were some recent issues, we are prepared to do XYZ") and all of that. Others have added all these imaginary factors to our situation (my salary, the brand new cars, the incontinent cat etc) For example, look at the issue with pets. My animals aren't an issue but others have made them to be one. There are a ton of rental homes in our target market that state they are pet friendly. I didn't even mention the animals in my initial post because renting from a non pet friendly landlord isn't an option for us and not what I am asking about.

We haven't even started looking yet, we simply have an opportunity. I am simply trying to prepare appropriately since the rentals in our target area all seem to have application fees. I'd rather not spend a fortune filling out applications only to get denied for the lates on the credit cards.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
One of the main things I look at is, do the people have other resources (normally this is friends and family) in case of emergency.

A few late payments are not a big deal -- except, they indicate that you paid late rather than borrow money from friends. And that, in turn indicates that either you view paying late as ok, or your friends do not consider you a good credit risk. The latter is a huge red flag.

You are getting the answers you are getting because there is something in the way you write that makes readers suspicious. There seems to be more to the story.

For example, I once missed payments on multiple cards because I was extremely ill not not aware enough of life outside my sickbed to realise. This did not affect my credit rating to the degree you say it has you hubby's. Stuff does not add up.

As for how to deal with future landlords: Talk to them. Tell them about the late payments and the identity theft and the credit ratings. Tell them you have a willing cosigner, and/or are happy to pay a larger deposit to reassure them. Tell them you want to avoid spending money on an application and wasting their time if it is going to be an issue. Trust them to be honest with you.

Edit: Do you know for sure that it was only a few late payments? I am reading another thread about husbands deceiving wives about finances, and it's put ideas into my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting