Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,610 times

Advertisements

This is more of a venting post... but it's also a question as to what in the WORLD is going on down there? In my opinion they need a major overhaul on how they do business to get more people in and out faster, at least for however long it takes people to get this new "real" ID... which is the only explanation I got as to why it could possibly have been so busy. I went yesterday afternoon, and turned around and left... A guy was behind me on the phone screaming into it saying "Ive been there an hour and a half and moved 20 feet"... well I HAD to go today because I needed my driver's license, considering I lost mine. Well I waited in line over an hour just to get to the information desk, where I then waited another hour to get my picture taken, and then even LONGER to get to one of those windows, to pay my money and get my ID. oh, but wait, they no longer print our ID out anymore, you have to get it in the mail, "federal rules and stuff".

anyways, i spent my whole morning there and my feathers are ruffled, that's all.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,691 times
OK, Breathe....
DMV BLOWS....it smells, they are unorganized, language barrier everywhere, did I mention....IT SMELLS
Your venting is noteable. Dont loose that license again!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I do not see why it would be any different in Reno, but this is what I do here in Vegas. I get there an hour before they open and sit down and wait at the front door. When the doors open, I am the first to get helped.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Real ID has been available in Reno since earlier this month and in Carson since earlier this year. They're starting in the Las Vegas area this week. Monday was the first day for Las Vegas at the West Flamingo location. Other locations in the Las Vegas area will be introduced to the Real ID procedures each day this week. I'm sure the waits will be especially long for at least the next few weeks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-24-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not see why it would be any different in Reno, but this is what I do here in Vegas. I get there an hour before they open and sit down and wait at the front door. When the doors open, I am the first to get helped.

That is exactly what you do!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Question from a relative newbie to NV.....

I got the impression from the news the other night that you can only renew your license at the DMV. I understand the need to go to the DMV when you first get licensed in NV, but please tell me that you can renew by mail?!?!?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Question from a relative newbie to NV.....

I got the impression from the news the other night that you can only renew your license at the DMV. I understand the need to go to the DMV when you first get licensed in NV, but please tell me that you can renew by mail?!?!?
Well, normally, the cycle is eight years where you have to go in and physically show up to renew. The renewal in between can be done online or by mail if you meet the qualifications (no more than two moving violations or any license suspension, revocation, cancellation or denial within the last 4 years).

However, with the new ASI requirements, obviously you'll have to show up in person to get the "Real ID." After you have the Real ID, I'm assuming that you'd go back to the eight-year cycle again. You do have the option of making one renewal (by mail or online) before the Real ID is mandatory (I think it's 2017 where it will be mandatory?). However, you can get the Real ID before that but you have to do all the jumping through hoops.

That's the way I understand it. And, ASI is a Federal thing, not just Nevada.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-24-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that the Real ID is a Federal thing. The ASI is a Nevada thing. Nevada has always had one of the highest standards of identity pertaining to obtaining a drivers license or ID card compared to other states nationwide. Therefore, its compliance with the Real ID Act shouldn't be as problematic as some of the other states may have with all this.

mod interpose: thread is now off topic. closed.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-25-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area