Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,960,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Still plagued by those reading comprehension problems, I see. What I said was, my church doesn't beg for money.
Maybe your specific church doesn't, but there are many Southern Baptist churches that do. Many years ago after I left the Catholic Church, I attended a Southern Baptist church for a while. The pastor went on and on and on about tithing every Sunday for FOUR MONTHS straight, I kid you not. Envelopes were sent to homes. We finally figured out why when he was busted for embezzeling church funds and having an affair with his secretary. I haven't stepped foot in a Baptist church since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What does Paul telling people to put aside money for the poor (the saints) have to do with a church soliciting funds from it's members for their own benefit??? Next you'll be trotting out the Malachi scripture about robbing god.
Christy, when I went to church they did use Malachi, but they normally based the 10% rule on Leviticus 27:30-32.

32And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

Of course, I just had to point out that this was an Old Testament covenant rule and did not apply to us. I also pointed out that this was talking about livestock and did not apply. I was told, in so many words, to shut my mouth.

2,332 posts, read 2,841,817 times
Unfortunately, Lady Godiva really does exist ... Historically.

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What does Paul telling people to put aside money for the poor (the saints) have to do with a church soliciting funds from it's members for their own benefit??? Next you'll be trotting out the Malachi scripture about robbing god.
What do you think we do with the money given?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Maybe your specific church doesn't, but there are many Southern Baptist churches that do. Many years ago after I left the Catholic Church, I attended a Southern Baptist church for a while. The pastor went on and on and on about tithing every Sunday for FOUR MONTHS straight, I kid you not. Envelopes were sent to homes. We finally figured out why when he was busted for embezzeling church funds and having an affair with his secretary. I haven't stepped foot in a Baptist church since.
Be careful with that big umbrella you're holding!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,690,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Unfortunately, Lady Godiva really does exist ... Historically.
Wait...WHAT? I swear, you must smoke the greatest weed considering some of the things you post here.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Be careful with that big umbrella you're holding!
No bigger than your umbrella. And I quote:

"We (Southern Baptist) don't either. We pass the plate."

I was merely giving an example of there are those that, in fact, do.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,906,096 times
Geez, I go to work and the thread takes off.

How about giving money directly to local charities or a children's hospital if you really want to help? I am sure that it would do better there, then in the hands of a church. From my experiences in different churches, they all share the same trait; the hunger for more money. And they can't get enough. I grew up Catholic, attended Church of Christ, Baptist, etc and even visited a Mormon church on more than one occasion. It's all money all the time. And if you don't give? Well, they insinuate that you will burn in hell. One more reason why I stopped going. I can pray at home, read my Bible and talk to God for free.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM

494 posts, read 891,181 times
Quote:
Nice try.
Hah. There is no try, there is only succeed. And for you, the fail boat.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
No bigger than your umbrella. And I quote:

"We (Southern Baptist) don't either. We pass the plate."

I was merely giving an example of there are those that, in fact, do.
Do what? Collect offerings? That's quite different that your example:

Quote:
The pastor went on and on and on about tithing every Sunday for FOUR MONTHS straight, I kid you not. Envelopes were sent to homes. We finally figured out why when he was busted for embezzeling church funds and having an affair with his secretary.
You imply most Baptist churches are like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality