Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

We are basing based on our belief. If you believe the bible as God's word, then you believe there is an afterlife. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM

465 posts, read 530,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deschanel View Post
We are basing based on our belief. If you believe the bible as God's word, then you believe there is an afterlife. Simple.
But how do you really know for sure that there is one, if you've never died and been there? How do you know the bible isn't lying when you haven't seen it for yourself?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,458,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
But how do you really know for sure that there is one, if you've never died and been there? How do you know the bible isn't lying when you haven't seen it for yourself?

It is called "Faith" and those who have real faith and believe will tell you with their last breath it is real; just like those who don't have real faith and believe will tell you until their last breath that it is NOT real.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
For some reason...especially Christians....like to dwell on death and some alleged afterlife...this is very creepy and morbid to me. I don't understand the need they have to make up these vivid descriptions about something they haven't got a clue about...how does engaging in this type of behavior comfort someone or make them feel better when it is all speculation???? I don't normally even think about death and dying in my day to day life...I am more concerned with LIVING!!!
I agree. Christians and muslims especially.

Like I've said before, I really think it's just a fear of death.

There is a thread in the Atheist forum about the movie Invention of Lying, and I think it explains it pretty well.

And I agree...I'm more concerned about making the most out of this short life. It's the only one we get

1,883 posts, read 3,013,910 times
I thought the remainder of the title would be....since the only ones who can tell you are DEAD!

226 posts, read 561,235 times
I think there's proof of an afterlife when those that die on operating tables can tell surgeons what was going on when they were clinically dead. Even they can't explain that..

Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM

20,479 posts, read 12,873,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
For some reason...especially Christians....like to dwell on death and some alleged afterlife...this is very creepy and morbid to me. I don't understand the need they have to make up these vivid descriptions about something they haven't got a clue about...how does engaging in this type of behavior comfort someone or make them feel better when it is all speculation???? I don't normally even think about death and dying in my day to day life...I am more concerned with LIVING!!!
Because Christians believe we will live forever. We're curious about what our life will be like in the future. The Bible gives only small glimpses of what is to come.

However, while the Bible tells us to look forward to eternity, it also tells us to get busy doing the Lord's work in the here & now.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
I think there's proof of an afterlife when those that die on operating tables can tell surgeons what was going on when they were clinically dead. Even they can't explain that..
Actually these stories have been interesting to me. I mean I can't verify any of things actually happened though.

One thing about NDE is that they are all different and usually translate into what the person believes. There's no one singular "NDE" for all.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM

226 posts, read 561,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post

One thing about NDE is that they are all different and usually translate into what the person believes. There's no one singular "NDE" for all.
I have noticed that myself when hearing/watching stories on NDE's.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,431,252 times
Think of it this way....what was it like before you were born? That's what it's like after you die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality