Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

Are people who deal with homosexual desires born that way? Is it a learned behavior or simply how did they "get" these desires? Until recently I've sided with the view that it's a behavior due to the lack of a father figure in the home. While I still stand behind that belief I'm wondering if people really are born with a gay gene. Some people are born with DNA out of whack...for instance my son has an extra chromosome that affects him...but not noticeable to you and I. And the only way we found that out was through a necessary amnioscientsis when he was in utero.

So if people are born gay, are they still held accountable to God for their lifestyle? I ask that because God does show in the Old Testament and New Testament that He does not approve of people having sexual relations with partners of the same sex.

I've also had a discussion with another poster who commented that Jesus did not mention anything about homosexuality. Every faith has a sacred writing that it adheres to; the Torah for Jews, the Koran for Muslims, the Watchtower for Jehovah's Witnesses, The Book of Mormon for Mormons, and the Holy Bible for Christians. When you belong to a specific religion, you also say you're agreeing that their book and its author. As a Christian I believe that every book of the Bible is fully inspired by God, no matter who wrote the words on the physical paper. Thus, if Moses wrote part of the old testament and Paul wrote portions of the new testament, then they were inspired by God and what they wrote was what God wanted everyone to know and trust as truth.

Lastly, if anyone has other resources including websites outside religious writings, please provide them for everyone as a learning tool.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:15 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
I'm sure only God knows that answer, but I can say that if he did create someone gay he did it for a purpose. I can also say that he intends for them to come out of it.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:51 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Hoosier, I'm surprised at your question. If one is "born gay" then it could not be a sin. God would not warn against a behavior if they were "born that way". It is like any sin, some of us are more inclined if you will to be tempted. . . to lie, to steal, to gossip, to be promiscuous. I believe some have more of a genetic tendancy to be homosexual, just like some may have a propensity to commit other sins. I can't believe a loving God would make someone gay and then consider it sin.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:00 PM

But sin entered the world when Adam and Eve first sinned. God did not make anyone mentally challenged...yet there are many people like that. It's a change in their DNA. So does a change in the DNA mean someone is born gay, or just have tendencies towards it more?

Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I'm sure only God knows that answer, but I can say that if he did create someone gay he did it for a purpose. I can also say that he intends for them to come out of it.

That's really quite amazing, you say only God knows if people are born gay yet you claim to know God's intentions for them

Old 04-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Ya lost me on this one. . . being mentally challenged isn't a sin. There may be a difference in the way a homosexual and heterosexual are wired. . . does this justify it?

Old 04-29-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's really quite amazing, you say only God knows if people are born gay yet you claim to know God's intentions for them
I answered according to the Bible, burdell. In the Bible, God does not give an answer to the question "Are people born gay?", but He does instruct everyone not to engage in homosexual activity.

...Plus, it is also not mentioned in the Bible about any types of sexual orientation. I don't believe God sees gay, straight, or bi. He just sees sex. He sees homosexual sex, and says it is wrong. This obviously means that He sees homosexual actions just as normal a sin as premarital sex, lust, fornication, adultery, prostitution, or even lying.

Again, only God has the answer, but what I get from the scriptures and teaching is that He could care less how you "identify", He doesn't care if you think you're straight. He just doesn't want homosexual activity.

Last edited by mpope409; 04-29-2007 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Ya lost me on this one. . . being mentally challenged isn't a sin. There may be a difference in the way a homosexual and heterosexual are wired. . . does this justify it?
No it's not a sin, I agree. I was talking about DNA being changed around. You mentioned a genetic tendency toward being gay...so I took that to mean their DNA has been altered so as to be more prone to desiring homosexual sex than heterosexual sex.

I only brought in mentally challenged people since from my understanding DNA has been altered there too.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Yes, I think some may be more prone to desire homosexual sex. Just like some may be more prone to promiscuity or any sin.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Yes, I think some may be more prone to desire homosexual sex. Just like some may be more prone to promiscuity or any sin.
Very correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality