Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 PM

396 posts, read 399,953 times

Advertisements

No. Is having any sexual relationship w/ another man gay? Yes. Your thoughts.

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-17-2007 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,501 times
How do you define "gay"? Is it simply the sex act itself? Or do you not believe that a man can genuinely be attracted to another man on an emotional level, without any sexual involvement?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM

396 posts, read 399,953 times
Default You're asking great questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
How do you define "gay"? Is it simply the sex act itself? Or do you not believe that a man can genuinely be attracted to another man on an emotional level, without any sexual involvement?
Remember, it's important to put the contents of our conversation into a Biblical context instead of a societal context b/c the two contrast even though they both talk about the same issue, but only one will get our souls into heaven.

Biblically, a man should not "lay" w/ another man in the same way a man "lays" w/ a woman. Lay means having sex w/ a woman the way he has sex with a man. This answers your question about the act of being gay.

To answer your second question, in studying the Bible myself, it's perfectly normal and even healthy at times to have affection for another man. Evidence of this is all over the Bible most specifically the relationship btwn Johnathan and David in the Old Testament.

What do you think?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,436 times
So by your definition only the type of sex someone has determines their sexuality, not their internal desires?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,037,384 times
Affection is different from sexual attraction.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Biblically, a man should not "lay" w/ another man in the same way a man "lays" w/ a woman. Lay means having sex w/ a woman the way he has sex with a man. This answers your question about the act of being gay.
You mean like baptists do? You know, baptists don't fornicate standing up for fear someone might think they're dancing?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Remember, it's important to put the contents of our conversation into a Biblical context instead of a societal context b/c the two contrast even though they both talk about the same issue, but only one will get our souls into heaven.

To answer your second question, in studying the Bible myself, it's perfectly normal and even healthy at times to have affection for another man. Evidence of this is all over the Bible most specifically the relationship btwn Johnathan and David in the Old Testament.

What do you think?
In a nutshell, here's what I think... the passage you refer to (and others) are up for interpretation, and most likely have little to do with homosexuality. And personally, I don't care if someone's gay or not - which most people here should know by now, lol.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
Once again, we need to look at the times when those scriptures were written. It was not uncommon for men in the army to not have women available for montha or even years. Sex occured between men. When women were around, they preferred women. This was not the type of gay behavior that we see today.

Shepards had sheep or cattle. It does not mean that they were not attacted to women.

Men are often much more comfortable in the company of other men. They think alike, they are interested in the same things. They seek each other out for companionship. This does not always imply a sexual attraction.

If you look at the ditzy women as portrayed on TV, it's no wonder that men prefer other men for companionship. Companionship, yes, sex, no.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,701 times
Quote:
No. Is having any sexual relationship w/ another man gay? Yes. Your thoughts.
Yes.. because I don't believe that physical action is the defining moment. I believe that either you are.. or you aren't. Whether or not someone acts upon the feelings is different..

JMO though.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,501 times
I've already talked about this subject until I'm blue in the face, so if you want to read my more in-depth comments about it, you'll have to do a search using my name and the subject matter.

Nevertheless, to sum up: In today's society, the term "gay" is generally the same thing as saying "homosexual". However, it's possible to be gay and not have sex with anyone. Your sexual orientation is classified, in general, as being homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual. If you're homosexual, your emotional, psychological and physical attractions - as well as your sexual desires - are directed toward a person of the same gender, whether you have sex with them or not. Likewise, with heterosexuality, your desires and attractions are directed toward the opposite gender. With a bisexual, it's the same thing except your attractions and desires are directed toward either sex.

A person can be homosexual - such as myself - and not have sex with anyone. I, for example, have not had sex with anyone in 15 years. But I'm still homosexual. I'm still gay. My inner desires and attractions are still directed toward the same gender.

So there is a difference between WHO you are, and WHAT you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.