Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times

Advertisements

Google this and you will find that (a) some people measure from outside & calculate (b) some measure inside dimensions, add 6 inches and then calculate area. In both cases, garages etc are excluded.

Questions:
(i) sometimes, arrpaisals are bigger than county records. I know there are factors such as builder forgot to report an add-on etc, but someone was saying that there may be some unethichal people involved. Basically, some methods may give hgher footage than others.
(ii) is there a STANDARD way most builders measure area?
(iii) does anyone know what the "standard" is in the Dallas area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Google this and you will find that (a) some people measure from outside & calculate (b) some measure inside dimensions, add 6 inches and then calculate area. In both cases, garages etc are excluded.

Questions:
(i) sometimes, arrpaisals are bigger than county records. I know there are factors such as builder forgot to report an add-on etc, but someone was saying that there may be some unethichal people involved. Basically, some methods may give hgher footage than others.
(ii) is there a STANDARD way most builders measure area?
(iii) does anyone know what the "standard" is in the Dallas area?

Thanks
There is a standard, It is set by the building department in your area. I know that the great majority of the squarefootage is figured from the outside face of the exterior wall studs which 2X6's are NOT 6" wide, they are 5.5" wide. Things that are included on the main level are the stair area. The upper level is calculated using the same exterior stud area not including stair or open to below areas. The basement would be measured from the inside face of the concrete walls, or exterior face of stud walls in a walkout area. The stairs are included in this measurement due to it being a seperate stair case from what is calculated in the main level.

Some governing bodys will have you calculate the same as above, but the overall area is measured from the inside face of the exterior studs.

hope that helps you.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
There is no "official" technique. Nor any standard. Here the custom is to use the assessor square foot caluculation which is of the external measure less garage sort. The sketch used is available as a public record so one can see how it was done.

I am always skeptical of builder square feet until it is in the county data base.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Thanks - I guess I will need to dig more as to the common way they do things here in the Dallas area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate