Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,474,355 times

Advertisements

I guess I mean all the NAR realtors who work for Coldwell Banker, Re/Max, Sotheby's, etc, etc, etc. You know, the 6% commission guys who pay dues to an organization that regularly misrepresents the real estate market to the public.

Not sure, but I think they're also the ones who control the MLS with an iron glove-- prohibiting comments, allowing sellers to delist and relist ad infinitum and still call it a "new" listing, not allowing non-Realtors to use it, not sharing all the information publicly or easily-- you know, the stuff the Department of Justice filed the anti-trust lawsuit. Sites like Redfin that share info like previous sale price and dates of delisting and relisting are pushing the NAR and MLS to change their model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 PM

43,442 posts, read 77,411,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I guess I mean all the NAR realtors who work for Coldwell Banker, Re/Max, Sotheby's, etc, etc, etc. You know, the 6% commission guys who pay dues to an organization that regularly misrepresents the real estate market to the public.

Not sure, but I think they're also the ones who control the MLS with an iron glove-- prohibiting comments, allowing sellers to delist and relist ad infinitum and still call it a "new" listing, not allowing non-Realtors to use it, not sharing all the information publicly or easily-- you know, the stuff the Department of Justice filed the anti-trust lawsuit. Sites like Redfin that share info like previous sale price and dates of delisting and relisting are pushing the NAR and MLS to change their model.
DOJ and NAR settled.
How did that work out?
I think it hardly registered in the overall market, because of the obvious weakness of DOJs position, and the minimal concessions they wrung from NAR.

Admittedly, NAR and members are imperfect.
I strongly dislike "freshening" of listings, but it certainly is not illegal. Shouldn't DOJ focus on wrongs, and not sophomoric perception of style points?
I also dislike the wanton desire to negatively comment on someone's home, under a cloak of anonymity, without burden of any objective measurement. It certainly is unethical for a REALTOR to promote the activity, as it could clearly be manipulation or vandalism without consequence.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,608,491 times
Quote:
I guess I mean all the NAR realtors who work for Coldwell Banker, Re/Max, Sotheby's, etc, etc, etc. ....
You do know that Realtors also work for Redfin?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
...They've even added a feature where their agents post honest comments (ie, not always positive) about the homes they view....
Is this different than the old feature where anyone could review homes? That got shutdown back in 2007 for violating MLS rules.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,474,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Is this different than the old feature where anyone could review homes? That got shutdown back in 2007 for violating MLS rules.
Now agents can review homes. They still have the "per MLS rules" restriction keeping other people from commenting on the home. Yes, I agree there might be inaccurate anonymous statements like on any online forum, but like any online forum, I think the majority would be honest opinions and certainly could be put to the lie by visiting a house or having a home inspector walk through it.

I think not allowing comments from people who've seen and inspected the home is a disservice to buyers and noncompetitive. Basically, the MLS maintains this rule to the benefit of realtors who get a higher commission on a higher sales price and to the detriment of buyers.

In the past three years of looking at houses, my respect for realtors has declined markedly. The majority I've encountered know little about the houses they're showing, claim ignorance on things I know they know and claim lots of interest and competitive offers when there are none.

I did start out with a positive attitude, but experience has changed my opinion.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,509,483 times
Quote:
I think not allowing comments from people who've seen and inspected the home is a disservice to buyers and noncompetitive. Basically, the MLS maintains this rule to the benefit of realtors who get a higher commission on a higher sales price and to the detriment of buyers.
The topic of commissions has been covered extensively throughout the real estate forum. Believe it or not, most (granted not all, but MOST) if the realtors out there actually care about the clients that hired them.

Quote:
In the past three years of looking at houses, my respect for realtors has declined markedly. The majority I've encountered know little about the houses they're showing, claim ignorance on things I know they know and claim lots of interest and competitive offers when there are none.
please eloborate on this. Is it your buyers agent that knows little about the houses they are showing you or is it the listing agent that knows little about the property they are listing? How do you know there are things that your agent knows but they just aren't telling you? Again, how do you know there aren't any other offers?

Quote:
I did start out with a positive attitude, but experience has changed my opinion.
Thats a bummer.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 PM

43,442 posts, read 77,411,003 times
Quote:
Now agents can review homes. They still have the "per MLS rules" restriction keeping other people from commenting on the home. Yes, I agree there might be inaccurate anonymous statements like on any online forum, but like any online forum, I think the majority would be honest opinions and certainly could be put to the lie by visiting a house or having a home inspector walk through it.

You are in huge error on the control of comments. It is absolutely to protect Sellers, not Realtors.
The buying public has hyper-sensitivity, superstitions, misperceptions, and avoidance of anything with any taint to it.
If someone slams a listing and without merit, it has to be explained away, but whether true or not plants a seed in the readers' minds, "I wonder how bad that house is?"

Stupid commentary could cost a Seller thousands for no reason, without bringing any value to anyone. It is most excellent that Realtors and MLSs have that standard. It separates us and places us on a higher plane of decency from the Zillows and Trulias and other muck.
People should visit and view homes that they want to consider buying, not dismiss them because of childish rants.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 PM

15,608 posts, read 40,553,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
It is different. The Sweet Digs blog had reviews on the blog about homes that were viewed. This is per the MLS, and in Oregon it would be state law, considered advertising. You can't advertise another agent's listings without their permission. Here you could lose your license for that. They got fined and pulled the house reviews.

The new feature is an MLS feature. There is a section in the NWMLS that allows agents to make comments about the listings. They are just pulling those comments into their VOW since it is an MLS field. So same concept, but this time via the MLS.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM

15,608 posts, read 40,553,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I haven't used Redfin but I did went through its website... it only shows properties on some locations and favors some popular locations like parts of Virginia and California...
They only show properties for the MLS's they belong to. It has nothing to do with "popular locations."

Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
...The new feature is an MLS feature. There is a section in the NWMLS that allows agents to make comments about the listings. They are just pulling those comments into their VOW since it is an MLS field. So same concept, but this time via the MLS.
Ah, that's why I never heard of it. We don't have that feature in our MLS for agent comments. Therefore, not supported by Redfin in Phoenix. I'm surprised it's not classified as a private field not for public viewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate