Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,285,120 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm in San Diego and looks like we will be moving to North Carolina next year. This will be our first home purchase, we have no debt, an 800+ credit score and in very good shape for a down payment. I make a very good salary and been with my employer 10+ years.

I have never even looked into this whole process, but was told to find an Accredited Buyer's Representative. I've looked on Realtor.com and sorted by the areas we want.

I've searched here and can't find my question. Are there questions to ask each agent to find the right one? Is there anything I should look for or request? Any advice for finding the "right" agent?

Thanks for the repsonses.

Last edited by Mike930; 08-28-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM

6,491 posts, read 10,375,377 times
Unless you have a family or friend who might know a good realtor in NC, I suggest you call some Real Estate firms before you get ready to relocate and interview them and confirm that they can act as a "buyer's agent" for you. If you don't feel comfortable with a particular agent, keep calling around and ask questions.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM

15,587 posts, read 40,472,737 times
The ABR is a super easy designation to get and I personally wouldn't use it to find a buyer agent. I went through that class when I was a member of NAR.

I would private message MikeJaquish on this forum. He is in Cary, NC and might know a good agent where you are going to be.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,048,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The ABR is a super easy designation to get and I personally wouldn't use it to find a buyer agent. I went through that class when I was a member of NAR.

I would private message MikeJaquish on this forum. He is in Cary, NC and might know a good agent where you are going to be.
I agree on both counts. These designations that NAR doles out can be earned by anyone with a pulse. I wouldn't use the presence/lack of a designation like ABR to judge an agent.

Mike has always struck me as very knowledgeable and a guy who puts his client's needs first. I'm sure he must know an agent in the area of NC you're looking at who is cut from the same cloth.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,989,202 times
We have a few regular posters who are agents in NC. We would be happy to recommend an agent if you let us know what are area you are relocating to.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I agree on both counts. These designations that NAR doles out can be earned by anyone with a pulse. I wouldn't use the presence/lack of a designation like ABR to judge an agent.

Mike has always struck me as very knowledgeable and a guy who puts his client's needs first. I'm sure he must know an agent in the area of NC you're looking at who is cut from the same cloth.
Thanks to both you and silverfall. I'll do that. I had no idea that designation was so easy to get.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
We have a few regular posters who are agents in NC. We would be happy to recommend an agent if you let us know what are area you are relocating to.
We will be going to Charlotte.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,048,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks to both you and silverfall. I'll do that. I had no idea that designation was so easy to get.
Most of these designations are about sitting in a class room (or watching a video) for X hours and then taking a multiple choice test. The ones I've taken some of the instructors went out of their way to highlight the material that has test questions in it. Many have no continuing ed requirement to maintain. You just have to pay an annual fee. The whole thing is a joke if you ask me, but that's an entirely different conversation.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM

204 posts, read 338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Are there questions to ask each agent to find the right one? Is there anything I should look for or request? Any advice for finding the "right" agent?
Just think about it as a job interview where you are the hiring manager. What questions would you ask for job applicants? What information could they give you that you think is relevant to how well they would perform the job?

You can probably find example lists by Googling, but what you want to find out mostly fits into the following broad categories: What skills do they have? How much knowledge and experience? How much do they charge?

In each of those, you are looking for what differentiates this agent from other agents and how well they fit your needs. Remember to also ask for and check references.

Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 09-02-2013 at 02:47 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 PM

121 posts, read 165,122 times
If you are looking for an actual Buyer's Representative, you will have to find one that is not a salesperson and does not work on commission for the seller. Unfortunately that is in defiance of the entire business model, "buyer's" agents are salespeople that will sell you any listing on the MLS, compensated as a sub-agent of the listing agent, and possibly FSBO that are willing to pay them a commission. "Buyer's" agents, a.k.a. Selling Agents are pretty much the antithesis of a Buyers Representative.

If you want to use one, they will primarily provide you some convenience as a single point of contact and hopefully give you access to some additional information, but you need to fully verify any information and advice they provide from outside sources. You also need to play it close to the vest on how much you can afford, despite the contract they can still give you a hard sell to buy at your maximum or give you a hard sell to try to close a deal, whether that deal is right for you or not.

As for questions, ask what credentials they may have to augment the due diligence process, dig deep. If they have a professional services compensation arrangement, assuming they have credentials to add value on the buying side, if you choose to look at a buy a FSBO instead of going after you and/or the seller for a sales commission. You can check references, but if you don't know the references personally and have a general idea how they handle their finances, they are of pretty limited value essentially the same thing as an online testimonial/review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate