Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 AM

35 posts, read 275,247 times

Advertisements

Please forgive a really stupid question from a 1st time home buyer.

I bought a home for cash via a realtor from an investment co.
Once I wired the money to the title co. my agent confirmed they'd received it & said
"congrats, you own the house & can pick up the keys from me"
I said isn't there anything else to sign? She said "nope, that's it."

The house is some 200 miles away & I haven't yet picked up the keys (am still preparing to move)
My agent's pretty busy dealing with other clients lately. I emailed her several days ago but havent heard back.
I hate to keep pestering her so thought I'd just ask you guys:

Aren't I supposed to get a deed or something proving I own the house?
If so, what will it look like?
(It's possible I already have it in my possession & am too dumb to know it.
The last papers I signed & I have received copies of are:

Escrow Settlement Statement (Estimated)
Wire instructions
Sale Escrow Instructions
Additional Escrow Instructions and Provisions
Preliminary Title Report, Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions
Preliminary Change of Ownership Report

Is this last piece of paperwork what serves as the deed?
Sorry for such a stupid question, lol

Last edited by IOSilver; 12-16-2011 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,713,526 times
You will be mailed all the documents to the new address, in fact your mailbox at the new house may even have several misc. closing documents waiting there for you. The deed and the title insurance all take a few weeks to process. Go ahead and move into the house.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Where I live, you can view the recorded deed on line same day. Almost real time.
You might check out the County Register of Deeds or Register and Recorder site for a deed granted to you.

And, call your agent again. If you have no answer very quickly, call the office and ask to speak with a managing broker to get clarity.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,596,543 times
You can also call the title company. They should be able to give you an update on status of your deed recording.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,684,696 times
I asked my wife if we have a deed on our home which we purchased for cash in Nov. 2011. She keeps track of such things and she "thinks" we were sent one "some time" after closing and it is "floating" around here somewhere.....LOL

That said if I did not take possession of the house at closing (as I did) then I would expect more from a "real estate" agent then a response to my phone call saying all is OK.

What the heck did you pay her for? Make her earn her money.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM

35 posts, read 275,247 times
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 PM

683 posts, read 467,032 times
The deed should be recorded in the local county office. That's where you will get it. I don't think they actually give you a real one unless you ask for one.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,947,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
The deed should be recorded in the local county office. That's where you will get it. I don't think they actually give you a real one unless you ask for one.

Correct. The actual copy of the deed has no value. It's what's recorded in the County clerk that counts. In other words, you hand me X amount of money and I give you a copy of the deed (even with your name on it) won't mean anything unless it's recorded. When a deed recording is updated, the clerk office will send out notices to all interested parties and that usually take place a few weeks after transfer.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,158,268 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate