Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
KW has 70,000+ agents in 50 states and Canada.
Remax has about that many in 50 states and 40+/-(?) other countries.
Both companies are widely based beyond your anecdotal experience, and you demonstrate no basis to comment broadly on either company.

There are poorly run offices in both companies, I would suggest.
And great offices in both companies, too.
I got the Keller Williams book, which lays out how the company works...and even reading the book I noticed more and more that I really don't like the way the run their business and want to run it, JMO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I got the Keller Williams book, which lays out how the company works...and even reading the book I noticed more and more that I really don't like the way the run their business and want to run it, JMO!
You choice, of course.
But... your use of "Ponzi Scheme" raises doubt as to whether you read and understood the book.
Since you say you read, then it is apparently just a misunderstanding.
A great many companies that are not "Ponzi Schemes" offer shares of profit to associates. KW is one of them.

Apologies to Tomocox. This should be another thread. Outta here...

Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
I got the Keller Williams book, which lays out how the company works...
No it doesn't lay out how the company works. It lays out the steps that can be followed by an individual agent who wants to become highly successful as a real estate agent. That recipe for success is used by agents all over the county in many different companies.

And frankly, it's not that complicated. Your database is your business, not your logo. Your work habits and daily focus will define your success, not your logo.

Steve

Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,043,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Just for the record today's count on REMAX.net (RE/MAX International's intranet site) 95,890 Associates | 6,730 Offices | 72 Countries

Again, this thread is not about bashing any firm, any agent, any one. The OP was simply asking former RE/MAX associates why they left, and was it a good move.

Please keep facts central to our discussion here. Thank you.
Exactly - seems to be some threadjacking here instead of the real topic; I could have posted all of c21 stats but that was NOT the point of the original posting. It had to do with the RE/MAX system and asking whether any BA had left and, if they had, did they find it a good move. Every franchise office is 'independently owned and operated' and like other RE/MAX agents have stated who left one RE/MAX office to move to another, they simply needed an office (with a Broker) that fit the enviornment they wanted to work in; had nothing to do with the system itself. Good luck again with your new brokerage.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
No it doesn't lay out how the company works. It lays out the steps that can be followed by an individual agent who wants to become highly successful as a real estate agent. That recipe for success is used by agents all over the county in many different companies.

And frankly, it's not that complicated. Your database is your business, not your logo. Your work habits and daily focus will define your success, not your logo.

Steve
Steve, I respectfully disagree. Here locally, I will only suggest that if it weren't for former RE/MAX associates, the fastest growing firm would not be making it as it appears that most, if not a high percentage of their business is the result of former RE/MAX associates. Those who are new to the business with that firm, are simply not making it. Based on information I have, but not confirmed, over 25% of their agents, in two separate offices, in my area last year did not make it to either side of a single transaction.

Again, my point is not to put down anyone, but to simply ask the question, if you were RE/MAX did you improve your lot by moving to another firm?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Steve, I respectfully disagree. Here locally, I will only suggest that if it weren't for former RE/MAX associates, the fastest growing firm would not be making it as it appears that most, if not a high percentage of their business is the result of former RE/MAX associates. Those who are new to the business with that firm, are simply not making it. Based on information I have, but not confirmed, over 25% of their agents, in two separate offices, in my area last year did not make it to either side of a single transaction.

Again, my point is not to put down anyone, but to simply ask the question, if you were RE/MAX did you improve your lot by moving to another firm?
Well, I'm not sure what your point is. The ratio of non-producing agents is high everywhere, in every brokerage, except maybe for some small niche brokerages of 6 agents or less.

But no large player like Remax, KW, C21, Prud, etc. can be the size they are without having a large number of non-producers. It's not that anyone wants non-producing agents, but agent growth drives revenue more than anything else for national firms. That means a lot of recruiting and high turnover.

But if we were to look at the stats of Boards of Realtors nationwide, I seriously think we'd find any that have ONLY 25% of the agents non-producing. I bet its higher than 50% in most MLS systems nationwide, though that's admitedly a guess.

To your core question - "if you were RE/MAX did you improve your lot by moving to another firm?" - one could also ask the opposite question.

If you moved from another firm to Remax, did your production improve?

My point is that you could substitute any national brand name into either of those questions and whether the respondent answers affirmative or not would tell us less about the firm or logo than it would the particular agent and that agent's Broker or office manager.

It's almost like asking "if you divorced a redhead and married a blonde, did you improve your lot?" Would the answers really mean anything?

Steve

Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure what your point is. The ratio of non-producing agents is high everywhere, in every brokerage, except maybe for some small niche brokerages of 6 agents or less.

But no large player like Remax, KW, C21, Prud, etc. can be the size they are without having a large number of non-producers. It's not that anyone wants non-producing agents, but agent growth drives revenue more than anything else for national firms. That means a lot of recruiting and high turnover.

But if we were to look at the stats of Boards of Realtors nationwide, I seriously think we'd find any that have ONLY 25% of the agents non-producing. I bet its higher than 50% in most MLS systems nationwide, though that's admitedly a guess.

To your core question - "if you were RE/MAX did you improve your lot by moving to another firm?" - one could also ask the opposite question.

If you moved from another firm to Remax, did your production improve?

My point is that you could substitute any national brand name into either of those questions and whether the respondent answers affirmative or not would tell us less about the firm or logo than it would the particular agent and that agent's Broker or office manager.

It's almost like asking "if you divorced a redhead and married a blonde, did you improve your lot?" Would the answers really mean anything?

Steve
Ok Steve, so ask the very fair question, "If you left RE/MAX, did your production, or better yet, did your net income improve?"

I would be very happy in knowing the answers to that question.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Ok Steve, so ask the very fair question, "If you left RE/MAX, did your production, or better yet, did your net income improve?" I would be very happy in knowing the answers to that question.
I guess my point is that the answers on a forum like this, whatever they are, have no real value. They are going to mostly be anecdotal and personal, and can't predict what the future holds for you personally. Like I said, might as well ask if redhead wifes are better than blondes. You might get a lot of opinions, but so what?

Agents should decide who to associate with based on current market info, the support and commission structure provided by the different Brokers they have to choose from, whether they want a big or small office, and what agents in that specific market say about their experiences working for the different brokers. Even then, you'll hear opposite stories from people in the exact same office.

Good luck though.

steve

Old 05-25-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I guess my point is that the answers on a forum like this, whatever they are, have no real value. They are going to mostly be anecdotal and personal, and can't predict what the future holds for you personally. Like I said, might as well ask if redhead wifes are better than blondes. You might get a lot of opinions, but so what?

Agents should decide who to associate with based on current market info, the support and commission structure provided by the different Brokers they have to choose from, whether they want a big or small office, and what agents in that specific market say about their experiences working for the different brokers. Even then, you'll hear opposite stories from people in the exact same office.

Good luck though.

steve
Steve, dag nab it. You phrased your own question and then didn't have the integrity to answer it. You are just like the government. Do you have an answer? Are you a former RE/MAX agent? If so, did you improve your net income by leaving?

There is no opinion in that. Simple facts: "yes, I left RE/MAX and my bank accounts are glad I did, or I left RE/MAX and my bank accounts now have less in them." It's black or white, yes or no.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Do you have an answer? Are you a former RE/MAX agent?
No, I never worked at Remax. My wife (a Broker) and I owned our own company for 11 years starting in 1993. We sold it in 2004 with a large property management portfolio, took a year off, then both joined Keller Williams in 2005. We have done better at KW than we did as a mom and pop brokerage.

Our KW office is the largest single location real estate office in the world, with 600 agents, so we went from one extreme to the other, literally, and we like it a lot.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals