Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,791,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Get an agent that is not this lady or a friend.

Interview three top agents (research top listing agents) and then invite them over for interviews and make your pick from there.
Thank you. Good advice that I needed to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,325,393 times
if you've had other people recommend folks to you, then ask them why exactly they recommend them. Then go find those agents online, and see what their listings look like. You might have to go to Zillow to find their prior activity.

As noted, ask your former Realtor if she has any suggestions. Add that agent to your research pile.

Take the agent that you're friends with, and give her the opportunity to also be in the mix - but ONLY if you have reason to believe she's already successful.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:02 AM

43,536 posts, read 77,591,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
... You might have to go to Zillow to find their prior activity.

Bo, Bo, Bo.....

"Zillow? For prior activity?"
Is their proven track record of inaccuracy relevant to the poster's needs?

Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,325,393 times
if I don't have many active listings, but I have prior sales ...

The Z-monster seems to be pretty good about capturing sold listings. It's the buyer-sides they definitely struggle with.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:18 PM

6,425 posts, read 5,571,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if I don't have many active listings, but I have prior sales ...

The Z-monster seems to be pretty good about capturing sold listings. It's the buyer-sides they definitely struggle with.
Fo sho.

I haven't had a listing yet....but have had 5 closings representing the buyer. Zillow says I got notin'.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:00 AM

43,536 posts, read 77,591,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Fo sho.

I haven't had a listing yet....but have had 5 closings representing the buyer. Zillow says I got notin'.
Good job.
Zillow has my entire MLS history, and chooses to ignore most of it.
How can they possibly pretend to be a data source, when they decline to provide the data they hold?
It is quite comparable to making homeowners responsible for inaccurate Zestimates.
For some reason, Z sees no value in accuracy or integrity.

Other than offering a red flag for a popular scam site, this is all off topic for the OP, FWIW.
This may be more helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...l#post46879134

Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,791,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good job.
Zillow has my entire MLS history, and chooses to ignore most of it.
How can they possibly pretend to be a data source, when they decline to provide the data they hold?
It is quite comparable to making homeowners responsible for inaccurate Zestimates.
For some reason, Z sees no value in accuracy or integrity.

Other than offering a red flag for a popular scam site, this is all off topic for the OP, FWIW.
This may be more helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...l#post46879134
Thank you for that link. This isn't our first time to sell a house, but there's always something to learn.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:46 PM

8,548 posts, read 14,125,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Interview three top agents (research top listing agents) and then invite them over for interviews and make your pick from there.
I cannot emphasize enough how much you don't want to do this. Picking the top agent in the area (or even the top 3 agents in the area) is without a doubt the biggest pitfall I see real estate consumers make.

I can't tell you how many new clients I take on every year who originally worked with one of the top agents in the area. They end up feeling ignored. They often are concerned about conflicts of interest because of the likelihood of dual agency. If their budget is not on the high end of the spectrum for the area, they often feel like they are a low priority for the so called "top agent."

Finding an effective agent does not mean necessarily finding the top agent in town.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 12,415,487 times
This ^ is true. Choosing the top agent in town pretty much ensures you will NOT be working with that agent. You just hope their assistants are good. Maybe you should interview the assistants instead.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,702,502 times
If Brenda is someone that you care about as a friend, I would go to her, tell her that you have noticed that she doesn't seem to be actively selling, and wondered if she knew an agent who she could refer you to. That way, she gets a referral fee, you get a good agent, and everyone is happy.

I wouldn't necessarily go with an inexperienced agent, even if they were a friend, although many new agents are energetic and willing to spend the time necessary to promote a listing, which is not a bad thing. You won't know unless you interview them and see how seriously they take the interview process.

Tell the two friends you are doing interviews, and include them in your interview process, along with the agent Brenda recommends to you. And there's no reason you have to stop at 3 -- you have plenty of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals