Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:38 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. This is more a question about an appraisal, hence this forum instead of the house forum.

I was thinking about adding a small mudroom to my house, but the insane cost for very little extra usable space has me re-thinking that. The biggest thing I wanted to accomplish was getting a larger laundry room, as right now it's just a laundry CLOSET off my TV room (1st floor). After I saw the quote for the mudroom and was trying to decide if it's worth it, I had a sudden brainstorm: why not move the washer and dryer upstairs to a spare bedroom? There's a full bathroom on the other side; the bathroom sink (with its water and drain lines) is on the other side of the wall from where the washer and dryer would go, so it's a relatively easy move. (Talked to my town's code guy this past week -- he thought it was a great solution for maybe $5,000 tops including the plumbing, the electrical work to add 2 dedicated outlets/circuits, and extending a gas line up there for the dryer. My plumber is coming to take a look this coming week.)

I know that people have washers and dryers in bedrooms (especially master bedrooms or master suites), but I think they are typically in a closet or master bath? At least at first, my washer and dryer would be "open" to the bedroom (which is about 10'6" by 13'). So my basic question is: will the room still "count" as a bedroom if it has a washer and dryer in it (NOT in a closet)?

NOTE, the house has 5 bedrooms, and the bedroom I'm referring to is #5. At some point, I could build a closet around the washer and dryer, but it seems silly to do that now when I don't need to.

Sorry if it's a silly question! I am probably going to be getting a HELOC for some other projects and am wondering if I should have the appraisal before moving the washer and dryer upstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:11 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I would do this. I have thought about doing the same thing here, mostly because the washer/dryer here is at the opposite end of the house from the bathrooms and bedrooms where all the laundry is generated, and far from where it needs to go when finished. I hate packing laundry back and forth!

Yes, it will still count, for all official purposes, as a bedroom.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would do this. I have thought about doing the same thing here, mostly because the washer/dryer here is at the opposite end of the house from the bathrooms and bedrooms where all the laundry is generated, and far from where it needs to go when finished. I hate packing laundry back and forth!

That ^^^ bolded part was what I was most concerned about! I am going to try to have the (new) washer and (soon-to-be-new) dryer moved upstairs as soon as my plumber can do it, then -- the appraisal will likely end up being a few weeks later so I just wanted to make sure!

In that 5th bedroom I currently have a daybed, a cabinet with a TV, a little sewing cabinet, etc. -- I have been using it as a sewing/project room, so a washer and dryer won't be out of place.

And I can certainly handle $5,000 instead of $32,000 or more (mudroom estimate)!!

Thank you!

P.S. There's room on the washer/dryer wall (bedroom) for a small sink ... my code guy actually suggested that, but I am wondering if I NEED one since there's a bathroom sink about 6-7 steps away. I WILL be putting deep cabinets above the washer/dryer (as I was going to do in the mudroom). Hmmm ...

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 07-22-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

It makes sense to put the laundry closer to where it gets generated or needs to be returned after being washed. Some houses I've lived in made little sense functionally (or they were designed by someone who never washed a sock), but where the plumbing ran affected the cost of where they ended up. My one small house in it's very cold climate clustered all the plumbing together to avoid long pipe runs that could freeze up, and also wasted less water and energy...distant bathrooms/laundry would take forever to get their hot water. My current house had a laundry upstairs, I suspect because kid's bedrooms were upstairs. HOWEVER, that washer clogged and overflowed once causing thousands of $$ worth of damage to walls, ceiling, and floors on both levels. No thank you. I don't have kids, sleep on the main floor, so moved the laundry to the perfectly convenient heated garage next to the boiler. If anything is going to go wrong it can do it on the concrete in peace. All I have to do is squeegee the mess out the door.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It makes sense to put the laundry closer to where it gets generated or needs to be returned after being washed. Some houses I've lived in made little sense functionally (or they were designed by someone who never washed a sock), but where the plumbing ran affected the cost of where they ended up. My one small house in it's very cold climate clustered all the plumbing together to avoid long pipe runs that could freeze up, and also wasted less water and energy...distant bathrooms/laundry would take forever to get their hot water. My current house had a laundry upstairs, I suspect because kid's bedrooms were upstairs. HOWEVER, that washer clogged and overflowed once causing thousands of $$ worth of damage to walls, ceiling, and floors on both levels. No thank you. I don't have kids, sleep on the main floor, so moved the laundry to the perfectly convenient heated garage next to the boiler. If anything is going to go wrong it can do it on the concrete in peace. All I have to do is squeegee the mess out the door.
Eeek! Of course I have read about plumbing nightmares like yours. I never start laundry, then leave the house (or go to sleep), so I would discover a leak pretty quickly, though, and the water shut-off valves will be right in back of the washer (easy access). I will be replacing the carpet in that bedroom with tile or something similar AND will have the washer in a pan, so hopefully I will be OK.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
My current house had a laundry upstairs, I suspect because kid's bedrooms were upstairs. HOWEVER, that washer clogged and overflowed once causing thousands of $$ worth of damage to walls, ceiling, and floors on both levels. No thank you. I don't have kids, sleep on the main floor, so moved the laundry to the perfectly convenient heated garage next to the boiler. If anything is going to go wrong it can do it on the concrete in peace. All I have to do is squeegee the mess out the door.
Let me give you the insurance pro's point of view. It happens more often than you would think and it causes not just thousands of dollars in damage but tens of thousands in damage. Your upstairs floor gets inundated, your downstairs ceiling disintegrates, your downstairs walls and floor get soaked, and water cascading from your ceiling messes up your furniture and electronics.

Yes, your insurance would cover all that but you'll likely be looking for another insurance company after that claim.

My vote. Leave it alone.

My washer/dryer is at one end of my kitchen. I got used to it.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:34 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
I'm jealous. We have to lug stuff to and from our garage, as there are no hookups, not to mention absolutely no space at all in the house, for a washer and dryer.

The only consolation is that I now own a house (itty bitty as it is) that is worth more than a million bucks.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:52 PM

21,908 posts, read 9,483,127 times
It will be counted as a bedroom. As long as it has a closet, it is a bedroom. But if you are going to sell it as a 5 bedroom someday, you might incur the cost of converting back to a bedroom. I am guessing this would be minimal and the advantage of having it sell as a 5 bedroom over a 4 bedroom would likely outweigh the costs to reconfigure. But depending on the market you are in, buyers might prefer a second floor laundry room. They do where I live.

I have had a 2nd floor laundry room for 14 years and never had a problem.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It will be counted as a bedroom. As long as it has a closet, it is a bedroom. But if you are going to sell it as a 5 bedroom someday, you might incur the cost of converting back to a bedroom. I am guessing this would be minimal and the advantage of having it sell as a 5 bedroom over a 4 bedroom would likely outweigh the costs to reconfigure. But depending on the market you are in, buyers might prefer a second floor laundry room. They do where I live.

I have had a 2nd floor laundry room for 14 years and never had a problem.
Apparently a room doesn't NEED a closet to be a bedroom. I think it might vary by region?

I will be here at least 10 more years (maybe forever), so I'm not worried about resale too much -- just didn't want my upcoming HELOC appraisal to be messed up! And oddly, some Realtors have posted (here and on other boards) that 4-bedroom houses (or 4-bedroom-plus-office, which I could always call it) are sometimes easier to sell than 5-bedroom houses. So who knows what I will eventually do.

I know a LOT of people with 2nd-floor laundry rooms and they love them. If you have a problem, it's often a BIG problem, but I suspect the vast majority of people will NEVER have an issue. I will definitely check on the washer several times when I have it running, and of course these will be brand new connections by a licensed plumber, so I think I will be fine.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Apparently a room doesn't NEED a closet to be a bedroom. I think it might vary by region?

I will be here at least 10 more years (maybe forever), so I'm not worried about resale too much -- just didn't want my upcoming HELOC appraisal to be messed up! And oddly, some Realtors have posted (here and on other boards) that 4-bedroom houses (or 4-bedroom-plus-office, which I could always call it) are sometimes easier to sell than 5-bedroom houses. So who knows what I will eventually do.

I know a LOT of people with 2nd-floor laundry rooms and they love them. If you have a problem, it's often a BIG problem, but I suspect the vast majority of people will NEVER have an issue. I will definitely check on the washer several times when I have it running, and of course these will be brand new connections by a licensed plumber, so I think I will be fine.

You are correct. A room does not need a closet to be considered a bedroom. All it needs is direct egress to the outside for emergency reasons.

It will be easy to convert it back to a bedroom by just removing the appliances. I'd say: go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals