Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,268,693 times

Advertisements

in reverse order ...

it's already been said that only homes held by certain governmental agencies have any "owner occupants only for ____ days". so, your family members found houses like this. the home in question, there's no reason to believe this is the case.

ok, so you know their age.

make as complete of an offer as you can, mail it to them, and see how they respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,683,165 times
You want the house? Find their phone number (use Spokeo or something similar), CALL them, and tell them of your interest. People are accustomed to getting letters, postcards, etc. from agents, and it tends to end up in the garbage -- your letter could be mistaken as such. Or hire an agent who is a little more aggressive than you are in pursuing leads such as these. You're sitting on your hands because of some vague ideas of what is "proper" or "acceptable", and losing out. Either become a little more aggressive, or hire someone with that skill set.

BTW, with my brokerage and in this area, signs often do not appear in a yard, especially in upscale neighborhoods, at the request of the seller. If it's a hot market, it will be on MLS and "they will come." It tends to keep people from walking up to the door, knocking, and asking if they can "just look around."

Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 AM

8,578 posts, read 12,465,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've mailed them a letter twice over three years and don't think I should sent another one. They have my contact info and my interest.
Send them another letter and follow it up with a phone call. They could have easily misplaced your previous letters or tossed them out. A third letter is not unreasonable or being a pest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
With a simple Google search the address gives us the owner's name and age and address. They live 115 miles away. The house is occupied by "unknown."
Check the tax records to verify what you found out through a Google search.

I disagree with others who have suggested that you start off by submitting an offer. I don't believe that you should show your cards first (even though it may come down to that later). Talk with them first to see if they're even interested in selling in the near future and see if they will indicate a potential sale price. If possible, let them be the first to mention a price. It could be lower than you'd expect. Do your research, though, beforehand so that you'll have a good idea as to what you think you'd be willing to pay. When the time comes, you should thoroughly inspect the house before making your offer--and still have your offer be conditioned on a professional inspection.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:14 AM

43,401 posts, read 77,339,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Send them another letter and follow it up with a phone call. They could have easily misplaced your previous letters or tossed them out. A third letter is not unreasonable or being a pest.

I disagree with others who have suggested that you start off by submitting an offer. I don't believe that you should show your cards first (even though it may come down to that later). Talk with them first to see if they're even interested in selling in the near future and see if they will indicate a potential sale price. If possible, let them be the first to mention a price. It could be lower than you'd expect. Do your research, though, beforehand so that you'll have a good idea as to what you think you'd be willing to pay. When the time comes, you should thoroughly inspect the house before making your offer--and still have your offer be conditioned on a professional inspection.
Well, gee, Jack...
I didn't say "Write a Fat, Juicy Offer."
As the OP has been pursuing the property for 3+ years, he should have a clue what he is getting into by now.

The location hasn't changed. The OP hasn't succeeded in getting attention from the folks he thinks owns it.
Of course, they probably get many letters, if the property is desirable.

Of course, I agree on the professional inspection after contract. Certainly.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,594,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

I agree with Jack.

i'm not too proud to say that in my younger and more ignorant days, I did exactly that - I wrote a letter with an offer for a specific amount of money with a request to respond to it with a decline or agreement to enter into negotiation (not worded quite so starkly but that's what it amounted to). At the time, i had my rationale for this approach but in hindsight, I believe that the whole process would have got off to a much better start if we just discussed his interest in selling like humans rather than (figuratively) walking into his house and slamming a wad of cash on his kitchen table.

My rationale was that i wanted to give the owner something that he could accept, counter, or reject. I was keen to avoid protracted period of uncertainty - sometimes people like to be flirted with even if they have no interest. But I think i could have managed that risk in other ways.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:45 AM

13,724 posts, read 12,502,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I agree with Jack.

i'm not too proud to say that in my younger and more ignorant days, I did exactly that - I wrote a letter with an offer for a specific amount of money with a request to respond to it with a decline or agreement to enter into negotiation (not worded quite so starkly but that's what it amounted to). At the time, i had my rationale for this approach but in hindsight, I believe that the whole process would have got off to a much better start if we just discussed his interest in selling like humans rather than (figuratively) walking into his house and slamming a wad of cash on his kitchen table.

My rationale was that i wanted to give the owner something that he could accept, counter, or reject. I was keen to avoid protracted period of uncertainty - sometimes people like to be flirted with even if they have no interest. But I think i could have managed that risk in other ways.
Hindsight is always 20/20 and you could have dealt with someone stringing you along forever as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals