Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 AM

801 posts, read 616,864 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to become a realtor but am unsure of whether I should take the $500 course (nights and Saturdays for several weeks), test>get licensed, and THEN apply to agencies or get hired first?

What kind of costs will I be looking at, either way?

Which agencies should I avoid? Which have the best training? Commission? What is the expectation of time/office hours/on-call, etc.?

For background: Upstate NY. Metro area, not remote. We have three children in middle and high school who are primarily self-sufficient (they work neighborhood jobs to keep busy, don't need babysitters for holidays, can and do make their own meals responsibly, etc.) but I'd like a sales job (husband and I have always worked in commissioned sales) in which I can stop at home to check on how things are going and/or bring them to activities, jobs, or friends' homes... because as responsible as they seem to be right now, nothing spells future teen pregnancy or shenanigans like entire summers home, unchecked. :P My husband's income supports us all well, our home is paid off, and we have significant savings, so I feel this is a great time to build a career for myself in earnest and really get serious about retirement and building our financial future. We will not NEED me to begin earning a good income right away; I'd just like to know what my first steps should be.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by LieslMet; 12-21-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 12:24 PM

11,837 posts, read 34,478,047 times
this is location specific, but in order to be hired, you have to have passed the state/federal test.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:50 PM

15,594 posts, read 40,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
this is location specific, but in order to be hired, you have to have passed the state/federal test.
Yep. No one can hire you until you are licensed. So go get your license.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:14 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,838,117 times
It's actually a fairly newer concept in Texas about passing before getting hired. It used to be (back when I got licensed) that you had to have a sponsorship set up prior to taking an exam because if you passed, they needed to know where to send your license to and you were automatically "Active".

Now, once you pass, you can have the state hold your license in "Inactive" status until you can find a broker to sponsor you.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:16 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,583,864 times
Every state is different, but in general, when you become license for real estate, you start as a salesperson, and you need a broker to sponsor you. This is a job that you can look at as solely on commission, so that means, either you make some good money, or you don't make any money. Is not an easy industry to be in. You really have to know a lot of the stuff, and you need to constantly to know the fact that buyer might not get to the contract part.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:30 AM

I know I need to take the test and get licensed. My question is: Do you know if it's better to:

1) Take the course and test now and THEN apply for a position or

2) To interview for the position FIRST, then follow my prospective employer's instructions for the course and exam?

In NY, you need a broker to sponsor you in order to apply for a license as a salesperson; I know multiple brokers who are willing to sponsor me but I don't necessarily want to work with them. In other words, would having taken the course and passed the exam make me more attractive, as an interviewing candidate, or would it annoy them that I've not done *their* training?

Old 12-22-2017, 03:42 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
I know I need to take the test and get licensed. My question is: Do you know if it's better to:

1) Take the course and test now and THEN apply for a position or

2) To interview for the position FIRST, then follow my prospective employer's instructions for the course and exam?

In NY, you need a broker to sponsor you in order to apply for a license as a salesperson; I know multiple brokers who are willing to sponsor me but I don't necessarily want to work with them. In other words, would having taken the course and passed the exam make me more attractive, as an interviewing candidate, or would it annoy them that I've not done *their* training?
I don't think you can go wrong to talk to a few brokers prior to taking pre-licensing classes.
They should be glad to chat with you. If not, you have pared your list of potential firms.

Ask about training, support, mentoring.
Ask if you can attend an office sales meeting.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:22 PM

41 posts, read 25,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post

No you don't. I didn't have a broker sponsor me. I got my license in 2004. Has it changed?

Brokers are like boats. You find out what you don't like about having one only after you own it. Luckily it's easy to change brokers. If you know agents, speak to them about what they like about their brokerage. If you don't know a lot of agents, choose a broker, and if you're not happy, talk to other agents at different brokerages. I was with my first broker two years, then I switched. Bother were large national brokerages. My advice: do not work for a broker who competes with the agents.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:03 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,948,848 times
Take the class first. Doing the reverse puts you at a disadvantage - you don't know what you don't know. Most classes will cover some basic information on finding a brokerage, unless the class is offered by a specific real estate firm - and then information could be skewed and you are actually paying for a recruiting opportunity.

Know right out of the gates, most newly licensed agents are "in the hole" with start up expenses. Find out which companies will help with you business cards and marketing materials. Some already have branded pieces just waiting for a name and number, and most offer website assistance.

If I had to pick one piece of advice, it would be never let anyone own your telephone #, email or the website on your business card. It's very rare for someone to remain at one company for the duration of their career. The email is the toughest (and impossible in the lending arena due to security). Make certain only your cell and your personal website address are on your card. You will likely have to pay for your own website, but I think it's well worth it. Years from now when you have gone to a new company, when a past client calls, they may have no idea you have changed companies. Had you had your prior broker's number dialed, it's highly unlikely you would get the call.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
No you don't. I didn't have a broker sponsor me. I got my license in 2004. Has it changed?

Brokers are like boats. You find out what you don't like about having one only after you own it. Luckily it's easy to change brokers. If you know agents, speak to them about what they like about their brokerage. If you don't know a lot of agents, choose a broker, and if you're not happy, talk to other agents at different brokerages. I was with my first broker two years, then I switched. Bother were large national brokerages. My advice: do not work for a broker who competes with the agents.
Yes, one does need a broker in order to apply for a license. https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/licensing/0022-a.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals