Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 02:26 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,722 times

Advertisements

What is the general opening day of swimming pools in RDU area ? I have lived in North East and it is usually Memorial Day, but it is averaging about 80 from next week..

Also, our HOA says, it is $500 for opening the pool one week early, it is a just like any other pool, I am not sure why it is so expensive? If someone can refer me to some Pool maintenance companies it will be very helpful

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
What is the general opening day of swimming pools in RDU area ? I have lived in North East and it is usually Memorial Day, but it is averaging about 80 from next week..

Also, our HOA says, it is $500 for opening the pool one week early, it is a just like any other pool, I am not sure why it is so expensive? If someone can refer me to some Pool maintenance companies it will be very helpful

Thanks.
Most of the lifeguards are college kids and they get out of school around that time. Could that be the additional expense?

Vicki

Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Our neighborhood pool openend a week ago, earlier than we've done in past years. We're a small neighborhood and don't have a life guard. Pool maintenance had already started, and the pool was already inspected and permitted. Our maintenance contract is annual with no additional cost to open early, so we decided to make the pool available to anyone who wanted to use it - even though the water is still a bit chilly.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Our swim club in Cary is opening May 15th for weekends only and then it officially opens for regular hours on June 1st. We have a contract with a pool management company and if we were open early, we would have to pay them another month's worth of a contract. It's hard to staff those first couple of weeks since the lifeguards are usually still in school. Chemicals are another expense to consider.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
They also need time to have it inspected by the health dept. Sometimes it doesn't pass inspection right away.Not sure what they pay for that? Maybe there is a rush fee Ditto what others say about pool co.s.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Most of the lifeguards are college kids and they get out of school around that time. Could that be the additional expense?

Vicki
No, we don't have life gaurds in our pool.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,247,652 times
For a pool to be inspected and maintained, but not yet open for swimming, you pay your pool maintenance company to vacuum it and check the chemicals once per week. While open for swimming, Wake County requires two checks per day (was 3 last year). That's the $500 fee. I get that question multiple times for every single HOA pool I have. Then, the first warm day after closing, the calls start pouring in requesting it to re-open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary