Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,193 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to relocate to the Clayton area. We were originally considering Wake County but feel that Clayton's schools may be a better fit for our family.

We have been able to visit once so far but did not have a chance to tour the entire area. I have read the posts here concerning Clayton and would like to hear the pros/cons of the East side of Clayton versus the West 40/42 area, specifically regarding the schools. I have researched the schools online but would love to hear from those in the area.

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 AM

106 posts, read 344,354 times
You can't go wrong with either side, people love both sides west is somewhat a little more rural but at the same time has more conviences as far as shopping. Now for the east not that we're big city on this side, everything is a little more spread out as far shopping is concerned have to travel a bit but I don't mind I love the beauty of the country. I have children in Riverwood Middle and they love it. You will be pleased with either side both beautiful and full of friendly people. Best wishes and welcome to Clayton.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM

850 posts, read 3,627,769 times
That's funny, I was going to say that East is a bit more rural!

Either way, I agree with the previous poster, both sides are nice and its just what fits your personal preference and in our case where we happened to find the house we liked best.

We live in East Clayton (Archer Lodge area) and love it. We did look in the West Clayton area as well. Ultimately, it came down to 2 houses we liked...the one we're in and one in W. Clayton. The W. Clayton house was fabulous but backed to a main road so we didn't end up choosing it. We also looked in Lee Forest off Guy Road near 70 which we loved but the only avail house there was too close to Guy Rd for us. You cut about 20-25 min off your trip living here, if you commute to RTP or the like.

Its rural here in the E. Clayton/Archer Lodge area and very lush & green. Its nice to pass cows on the way to the store and there is SO much sky. Things I still adore after 2 years living in our home. We are a bit further away from the shopping meccas. To get to the food Lowes, its about 12-15 minutes (that's on route 70) - though they are building one a few minutes drive away at the intersection of 42 and Buffalo Rd. White Oak SC is about 5-10 down 70 where you will find stores like Kohls, Target, Best Buy, Michaels and many more.

We like that we also have a "back way" option to shopping....the same distance away is Knightdale where you can find ANY store you want to shop at.

We can also get to some parts of Raleigh in about 20 minutes going the 64/264 "back way" as I call it. Triangle Town Center (mall) is 25 minutes, and Costco in Raleigh is about 30 min. But we're about 15 minutes to 40, which W. Clayton has the advantage over us...as it intersects with 42 over there and is probably a 5-10 min drive from most SD's.

We're outside city limits so do not pay city taxes (and from what I understand thereby higher utility bill as well). The Archer Lodge area is planning to incorporate so some small taxes will be added but many of us in the community here are looking forward to it (to have local control over growth and other things like our own post office). You can learn more about that at the incorporation site;
Archer Lodge Incorporation Information

I was also a little concerned about the growth in the business/store area in the 40/42 area. With 42 being just 2 lanes (one each way) they will have to be enlarging it or I can imagine it being quite a mess. Especially, with a Super Walmart going in soon. But I think you have more options for shopping there now compared to E. Clayton.

So....there's good things about both places so you'll just have to look and see which fits your needs.
Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary