Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2023, 09:42 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,744,949 times

Advertisements

What are some good dark sites that we can visit easily from the Triangle area? If they are a good driving distance from our area, what do people usually do if can't drive back - camp? Find a motel nearby?

A friend told me about the Bare Dark Sky Observatory in Burnsville, NC which is about 4 hours drive from the Triangle. It's in the mountains, so the motels there are very small and could be shady, but I guess I can pick the one with the most reviews. Seems like a cool facility for us in NC - they have telescopes you can use if you reserve a time or I think you can just go there 24/7 with your own equipment. Here's the website:

Mayland Community College Earth to Sky Park
https://www.mayland.edu/foundation/f...h-to-sky-park/
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 09:47 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
Staunton River State Park in VA and Medoc Mountain State Park

Old 12-09-2023, 10:19 AM

315 posts, read 180,216 times
It'd be dark. Bring a bright flashlight

Old 12-09-2023, 04:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,472 times
Check out the Dark Sky finder at https://darksky.org/what-we-do/inter...es/all-places/

I'm not sure about the mountains of NC, but I do know Va and WVa have some parks that have this designation.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:32 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
check with these guys:

http://catawbasky.org/

Old 12-10-2023, 06:30 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,925 times
I absolutely love staying at the Ocracoke Campground. You can sit on the beach all night and listen to the ocean and look up at the stars. There's nothing like it. It has a Class 2 Bortle number and an SQM of 21.97.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...BhY2l0eSI6ODV9

Old 12-11-2023, 10:49 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
What are some good dark sites that we can visit easily from the Triangle area? If they are a good driving distance from our area, what do people usually do if can't drive back - camp? Find a motel nearby?

A friend told me about the Bare Dark Sky Observatory in Burnsville, NC which is about 4 hours drive from the Triangle. It's in the mountains, so the motels there are very small and could be shady, but I guess I can pick the one with the most reviews. Seems like a cool facility for us in NC - they have telescopes you can use if you reserve a time or I think you can just go there 24/7 with your own equipment. Here's the website:

Mayland Community College Earth to Sky Park
https://www.mayland.edu/foundation/f...h-to-sky-park/
In college, we used to like to (umm, I guess I better be careful here) engage in some activities that made our minds more receptive to the universe and watch the stars on a mountain. I went to App State.

There is a trail called rough ridge, it is on the side of Grandfather Mountain, near the BRP Viaduct. Easy enough hike, and DARK. Probably a little closer than Burnsville. One night in particular, we saw dozens of shooting stars. We all thought it was the (umm, still being careful) condition we were in, but it turned out we were telling some friends, and it was a major meteor shower. That was in the late 1980's and still has a lasting impression on me.

Burnsville is not that far from Asheville, so you could go there and stay in Asheville. or go to rough ridge and stay in Boone, you might also look at areas outside of Mount Pilot, which is a bit closer.

Also, a really cold night is usually best for star-gazing.

Geeze, now I want to (ummmmm) go see some stars. hahahahahaha <--it was a long time ago, I'm sure the statutes of limitations have run out...

Old 12-11-2023, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
I'm currently building out a scope for astrophotography. I've seen Jordan Lake (dam) mentioned as a location close to the Raleigh area with "better" conditions for viewing... however I'm sure still heavily light polluted for astrophotography.

In the best conditions at Jordan Lake, are any DSOs visible with the right equipment? In my case probably an 8" SCT with a good mount... but still researching.

Old 12-11-2023, 02:54 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
In college, we used to like to (umm, I guess I better be careful here) engage in some activities that made our minds more receptive to the universe and watch the stars on a mountain. I went to App State.

There is a trail called rough ridge, it is on the side of Grandfather Mountain, near the BRP Viaduct. Easy enough hike, and DARK. Probably a little closer than Burnsville. One night in particular, we saw dozens of shooting stars. We all thought it was the (umm, still being careful) condition we were in, but it turned out we were telling some friends, and it was a major meteor shower. That was in the late 1980's and still has a lasting impression on me.

Burnsville is not that far from Asheville, so you could go there and stay in Asheville. or go to rough ridge and stay in Boone, you might also look at areas outside of Mount Pilot, which is a bit closer.

Also, a really cold night is usually best for star-gazing.

Geeze, now I want to (ummmmm) go see some stars. hahahahahaha <--it was a long time ago, I'm sure the statutes of limitations have run out...
You must be an Andy Griffith fan.

Old 12-11-2023, 03:46 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
Thanks for the map link! I hadn't seen ways to quantify this before. It looks like Bortle Scale 4 is defined as "the Milky Way well above the horizon is still impressive," and spots like Jordan Lake Dam qualify.

The nearest area where you'll get past the city lights looks to be Kerr/Gaston lakes. And Ocracoke / Portsmouth islands are some of the few spots in the eastern US with truly dark skies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary