Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 AM

219 posts, read 588,527 times

Advertisements

So here I am again the gain insight on what will soon be my new home (that being the Raleigh area).

Yesterday, while playing golf with some friends on a Disney course the question was presented to me about the quality of golf in the Raleigh area. My reply was...."well...I haven't looked into to that". Now I pose that question to you good people of the forum...

How's the golf up there??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Many will tell you it's awesome.

Truth is, there is a lot of average in the triangle area. Not until you expand out about an hour do you get to some better courses (Pinehurst area for example)

Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Pinehurst is about an hour and 15 mins from Raleigh. But there are some decent courses around here. Preston in Cary is nice.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Pinehurst is about an hour and 15 mins from Raleigh. But there are some decent courses around here. Preston in Cary is nice.
And private...

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,852 times
I liked that scene from "Down to Earth," too!

His outfit sort of reminded me of the late Payne Stewart. RIP.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Dale View Post
I liked that scene from "Down to Earth," too!

His outfit sort of reminded me of the late Payne Stewart. RIP.

Yea...it was a shame about Stewart. Nice catch on the movie though.

Or alot of the courses up there private??? What kind of green fees do the public courses charge?? Can't be much worse than down here where we pay around 55-60 a round on a public course.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
Yea...it was a shame about Stewart. Nice catch on the movie though.

Or alot of the courses up there private??? What kind of green fees do the public courses charge?? Can't be much worse than down here where we pay around 55-60 a round on a public course.
UNC Finley is like 80 bucks on the weekends - Duke is around that too.

There are some private, some public. Courses on the outskirts of town - Preserve at Jordan Lake, Chapel Ridge, Neuse, are all in that 60-70 dollar weekend price range.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Doesn't compare with Orlando at all and really most of FL. There are some really nice course here but they are spread out and expensive.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Doesn't compare with Orlando at all and really most of FL. There are some really nice course here but they are spread out and expensive.
I'm assuming you are from Gainesville?? I grew up in Ocala...spent many a nights hanging out up there in G-ville.

Unfortunatly I cannot, with any good sense, expect the quality of golf that you can get around Florida. But I do hope to find a nice public course that has some challenge to it. I have played most of the courses in Orlando, Tampa, Ocala and Gainesville so I have had my share of "something" different. I would like to become a member at a course and just be a regular. I have to find somewhere to hide from my wife!! (that is a joke...don't want any "nasty" replies from the fine women of NC!)

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
I'm assuming you are from Gainesville?? I grew up in Ocala...spent many a nights hanging out up there in G-ville.

Unfortunatly I cannot, with any good sense, expect the quality of golf that you can get around Florida. But I do hope to find a nice public course that has some challenge to it. I have played most of the courses in Orlando, Tampa, Ocala and Gainesville so I have had my share of "something" different. I would like to become a member at a course and just be a regular. I have to find somewhere to hide from my wife!! (that is a joke...don't want any "nasty" replies from the fine women of NC!)
I personally like the courses here better as many have elevation and most in Florida are pretty flat. You can find nice ones, you'll just have to drive longer and pay more to play it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary