Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:32 PM

397 posts, read 805,789 times

Advertisements

Has anybody had success in dropping PMI off their current mortgage without a REFI?

I've had my house ~4 years and with the market going up, I'm probably about ~30% equity right now. I'm assuming the banks are not going to go out of their way to drop it off. I was looking online and saw that you need to draft a letter and send it to them.

It's gone down slightly to just around 200/mo....it was around 220 when I signed my mortgage. I locked into 3.75 on my rate and pretty happy with things, and don't really want to refi if I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,599,027 times
Your best bet is to have your loan >20% less than your purchase price. You could also get an appraisal, but that will cost you.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,820,276 times
Once you have 20% equity on your home, you no longer are required to carry PMI. It's to protect the lender--not you. Send them the letter ASAP, telling them to drop it immediately. You should not have to refinance to get it dropped. It's an unnecessary expense.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
It's automatic at <78% IIRC, but that is based on the original loan value. Check your closing docs, I'm sure there is language in there about it.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,917,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Once you have 20% equity on your home, you no longer are required to carry PMI. It's to protect the lender--not you. Send them the letter ASAP, telling them to drop it immediately. You should not have to refinance to get it dropped. It's an unnecessary expense.
20% equity from the price at time of appraisal for the mortgage. If one wants to use the increased equity due to market appreciation, then one normally has to pay for a new appraisal.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:05 PM

425 posts, read 463,349 times
I've done it multiple times with WF, when we carried two mortgages for a few months during relocations. When we sold the first house, we paid down the new one to 78%, and they had no problem getting rid of PMI. I've never tried to eliminate it based upon appraisal appreciation alone. The only time I inquired about that with a mortgage company, there was a minimum period after the loan creation to request (and pay for) an appraisal. That's like 7 houses ago, but I think it was 2 years before that particular lender would consider dropping PMI based upon appraisal alone.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,565,562 times
If they won't drop it without an appraisal and you're paying $200 a month in PMI, I'd pony up the $400+ for an appraisal and then send the letter. It'll pay for itself within 3 months.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:07 PM

29 posts, read 34,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Has anybody had success in dropping PMI off their current mortgage without a REFI?

I've had my house ~4 years and with the market going up, I'm probably about ~30% equity right now. I'm assuming the banks are not going to go out of their way to drop it off. I was looking online and saw that you need to draft a letter and send it to them.

It's gone down slightly to just around 200/mo....it was around 220 when I signed my mortgage. I locked into 3.75 on my rate and pretty happy with things, and don't really want to refi if I don't have to.
So the first thing you need to do is call your mortgage servicer and ask to have your MI dropped, they will mail you a letter explaining your options. One of the options will be to have the servicer order an appraisal. Usually the agreement that you sign at closing states that the MI is based on ACTUAL payments made and the value at time of purchase. it's possible the servicer will not take into account appreciation, and will make the decision based on the purchase price and current loan amount UNLESS you've made structural changes to the home.

You can read more at - When can I remove private mortgage insurance (PMI) from my loan? > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
your loan balance will need to be 80% or less of the original purchase price of the home.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:57 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Schwartz View Post
So the first thing you need to do is call your mortgage servicer and ask to have your MI dropped, they will mail you a letter explaining your options. One of the options will be to have the servicer order an appraisal. Usually the agreement that you sign at closing states that the MI is based on ACTUAL payments made and the value at time of purchase. it's possible the servicer will not take into account appreciation, and will make the decision based on the purchase price and current loan amount UNLESS you've made structural changes to the home.

You can read more at - When can I remove private mortgage insurance (PMI) from my loan? > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Good Luck!
So, possibly a refinance could be in order to tap appreciation equity to eliminate PMI?
Except, at 3.75, He has a dandy rate already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary