Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of doing a quick and dirty energy audit of my house to see where I can make improvements that would result in saving money on my utility bills. Part of my audit involved compiling my electric and gas bills for the past 12 months (November 2006-November 2007).

Since so many people thinking about relocating to this area ask about cost of living comparisons and utility bills on this forum I thought I would share some of my results. Take them for what they are worth based on the following background information.

Background Info:

My house is located in North Raleigh (rates can vary by town and service provider)
My house is 6 years old, just under 1,500 sq/ft, and has an unheated garage
Two adults no children
Gas heat, gas water heater, gas fireplace (fireplace is never used)
Electric oven/stove, clothes dryer, and Central Air Conditioning
I do not consider my house to be very energy efficient (hence the audit) and fully expect others with more efficient homes and systems to have lower utility bills than me.

Graph illustrating my monthly Electric Bill from Progress Energy for Nov 06’ –Nov 07’

Highest Electric Bill: $157 (August 07’)
Lowest Electric Bill: $48 (April 07’)

Graph illustrating my monthly Gas Bill from PSNC Energy for Nov 06’ – Nov 07’

Highest Natural Gas Bill: $144 (February 07’)
Lowest Natural Gas Bill: $16 (June 07’)

Additionally, my house is on city of Raleigh Water and Sewer (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_202_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Water_and_Wastewater/Cat-Index.html - broken link) and receives trash and recycling pick-up services from the city. I am billed for these services through the city of Raleigh once every 60 days. The bill covers water, sewer, trash pick-up, recycling pick-up, and a fixed stormwater utility fee. My typical 60 day bill comes to around $60.00 so my household averages about $30 a month for water and trash services.

My yearly property tax is a little under 1% of the tax assessed value of my home.

Again, this is just brief snapshot of my situation. I imagine others pay more or less than this based on their homes age, energy efficiency, and their personal habits. I hope this information is helpful to those of you trying to gauge what some of the utilty expenses could be like should you make the move to the North Raleigh area.

~ NRG

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 01-23-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: typo! :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,795 times
Thanks NRG, Interesting.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Wow-I'm still in CT and live in a similar-sized home, and pay AT LEAST one-third more for everything you listed! And this is AFTER my energy audit. I think you're doing well.

Do you have all compact flourescent bulbs? Those help. Change the filters in your AC every month?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:31 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
wish my highest elec bill was $150 something! lol

$260 AVERAGE here! UGHHHHH

Everything electric, smaller home than yours, 20 year old home, 2 kids, 2 adults.

The plus side- house is paid off. lol

not for long though- looking for a new, much larger home (before i pull out my hair), and hoping for lower utility bill!

As for other expenses people looking to move here might be interested in:

satellite (no movie channels) $50 something a month
phone/DSL/ UNlimited long distance and a few extras $90 something

Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Do you have all compact flourescent bulbs? Those help. Change the filters in your AC every month?
I just started switching some of my bulbs out the the compact flourescent types (CFL). Actually that is a bit of the reason why I tallied up my electrci bill. I don't know what type of reduction I will see but I am eager to do a month to month comparison of once I do have the majority of my bulbs switched over to CFLs. I just started and plan to do a few more each month, but I must admit I prefer the old fashion bulbs in a few locations becasue of the warm glow of the light. And that is a big yeas nd the Ac Filters. Like clockwork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
The plus side- house is paid off. lol
I'd take the paid off house with a $260 electric Bill!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM

A few more pieces of info:

Cable Televison

Basic Cable from Time Warner Cable (Not Digital no Box or Tivo) = $11.90

Gets you
ABC (HD Signal)
CBS (HD Signal)
NBC (HD Signal)
FOX (HD Signal)
USA
TBS
UNC TV (PBS) (HD Signal)
UPN
CW
News 14 Carolina
Spanish Channel
2-3 Home Shopping Channels

Internet

Earthlink High Speed Internet (Through Time Warner) = $41.95
(Hint call Earthlink directly to save between $4-$5 dollars a month)

Phone

I use Vonage unlimited local and long distance = $30.95

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
If the gas fireplace that you don't use is on an external wall, there might be an opportunity for some more savings there. Ours is, and we noticed a lot of cold air seeping in under the firebox. Since we never used it and didn't even leave the pilot light lit, we stuffed a bunch of old towels behind the lower grate and it made a huge difference.

The CFLs will also help a lot. We have mostly CFLs now, all Energy Star appliances, and are pretty conservative. Seven year old home, 2300 sq. ft., same gas/elec split as NRG, and my bills are very similar to yours...both gas and electric.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
If the gas fireplace that you don't use is on an external wall, there might be an opportunity for some more savings there. Ours is, and we noticed a lot of cold air seeping in under the firebox. Since we never used it and didn't even leave the pilot light lit, we stuffed a bunch of old towels behind the lower grate and it made a huge difference.

The CFLs will also help a lot. We have mostly CFLs now, all Energy Star appliances, and are pretty conservative. Seven year old home, 2300 sq. ft., same gas/elec split as NRG, and my bills are very similar to yours...both gas and electric.
2300 sq/ft and almost the same bills....that is very cool. I am curious how much of an effect the CFLs will have. I only have a handfull right now. Hope to add more over time.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
OK, NRG inspired me to dig deeper and I'm pleased with what I see. I was just estimating the figures in my previous posts, but now I've gone and looked up actual figures for the previous 12 months.

2300 sq. ft. in N. Raleigh (same area as NRG actually)
2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog
Dual-zone heating/cooling. Two-story family room and foyer. Unconditioned storage area w/ drywall and insulation and used as a playroom stays open except for extreme hot/cold weather.
Irrigation system
Low-wattage lighting (CFL, LED, etc...) in about 70% of light fixtures
Home is generally efficient, but does have a few leaks around doors. We have upgraded all appliances to Energy Star during the last year.

Progress Energy:
High: $123.14 (8/07)
Low: $35.56 (3/07)
Average: $60.94

PSNC:
High: $176.95 (2/07)
Low: $18.07 (7/07)
Average: $71.04

Water/Sewer/Trash:
Summer (w/ irrigation): $80-90/mo.
Winter (no outdoor watering): $40/mo.

Phone (AT&T): $43/mo.
Cable (TWC): Digipic 1000 w/ 1 HD box + Roadrunner Internet: $110/mo.

Once we move, I think I'll switch to Vonage or another VOiP to save a few bucks. I'll also probably give satellite a good look and consider a package deal.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
OK, NRG inspired me to dig deeper and I'm pleased with what I see. I was just estimating the figures in my previous posts, but now I've gone and looked up actual figures for the previous 12 months.

2300 sq. ft. in N. Raleigh (same area as NRG actually)
2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog
Dual-zone heating/cooling. Two-story family room and foyer. Unconditioned storage area w/ drywall and insulation and used as a playroom stays open except for extreme hot/cold weather.
Irrigation system
Low-wattage lighting (CFL, LED, etc...) in about 70% of light fixtures
Home is generally efficient, but does have a few leaks around doors. We have upgraded all appliances to Energy Star during the last year.

Progress Energy:
High: $123.14 (8/07)
Low: $35.56 (3/07)
Average: $60.94

PSNC:
High: $176.95 (2/07)
Low: $18.07 (7/07)
Average: $71.04

Water/Sewer/Trash:
Summer (w/ irrigation): $80-90/mo.
Winter (no outdoor watering): $40/mo.

Phone (AT&T): $43/mo.
Cable (TWC): Digipic 1000 w/ 1 HD box + Roadrunner Internet: $110/mo.

Once we move, I think I'll switch to Vonage or another VOiP to save a few bucks. I'll also probably give satellite a good look and consider a package deal.
Your low electric bill for a 2300 sq/ft house is very impressive. I wonder if it has a lot to do with the Dual Zone A/C.

Your August Electric Bill (man that was a hot month) was almost $35 lower than mine yet your house has over 800 sq/ft more space to cool than mine! Quite amazing actually. I think your house is quite energy efficient! Great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary