Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

With so much projecting out loud going on around, it occurred to me to post this thread.

"Attributing one's own undesirable traits to other people or agencies, e.g., an aggressive man accuses other people of being hostile."

Basic Human Psychology 1: Neurosis, Projection and Freudian Projection

According to Sigmund Freud, projection is a psychological defense mechanism whereby one "projects" one's own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings onto someone else. It is a common process that every person uses to some degree.[3]

To understand the process, consider a person in a couple who has thoughts of infidelity. Instead of dealing with these undesirable thoughts consciously, he or she subconsciously projects these feelings onto the other person, and begins to think that the other has thoughts of infidelity and may be having an affair. In this sense, projection is related to denial, arguably the only defense mechanism that is more primitive than projection. Projection, like all defense mechanisms provide a function whereby truth about a part of themselves that may otherwise be unacceptable is shielded.

Compartmentalization, splitting and projection are ways that the ego continues to pretend that it is completely in control at all times, when in reality human experience is one of shifting beingness, instinctual or territorial reactiveness and emotional motives, for which the "I" is not always complicit. Further, common in deep trauma, individuals will be unable to access truthful memories, intentions and experiences, even about their own nature, wherein projection is just one tool [4].

Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While everybody uses it to “some” degree, some use more than their fair share. Obviously forums are fertile breeding grounds, but let's put them aside and concentrate on other personal experiences you might wanna share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Thank you, Sierra!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:39 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Thank you, Sierra!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM

What the heck are ya thanking for? Share... meow... whatever you can do!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Can you give some examples of the projecting you were inspired by? TIA!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,533 times
yeah - that is my crazy ex hubby to a tee - he's mr manipulative - but when he has to act like an adult he says everyone is trying to control him!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Can you give some examples of the projecting you were inspired by? TIA!
Well, it happens on the forum and it's more acute and consistent in some cases, but I have no desire to start a forum war.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, it happens on the forum and it's more acute and consistent in some cases, but I have no desire to start a forum war.
Of course you don't - that's why you started this thread in the first place!
I say start the war!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love the Bears View Post
yeah - that is my crazy ex hubby to a tee - he's mr manipulative - but when he has to act like an adult he says everyone is trying to control him!!!
Oh, for instance, all these ads (almost always men's ads) stating "no drama, please." I'm willing to bet they're the ones who have stirred the drama in the past. I've also noticed people who claim repeatedly to want peace are often passive-aggressive and their "peace" can be achieved (if possible at all) only by driving the other person up the wall.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
I tend to overcompensate for my faults and past. If I my parents did not make it to an event of mine growing up, I make sure I got to all of my childrens activities and I will be the team mom, room mother, president of the parents board, etc.

Sometimes if I am in a terrible sour mood and am on CD, I will gravitate towards threads that can be a bit caustic for my state of mind. I will seek out the most ruthless topics in politics and cut loose, feel better and come back home to relationships True story!

I can also tend to hyperfocus on other issues if my life is really crazy. I will work endless hours, helo a friend who needs 3 hours on the phone every day, etc.

My projections vary...but now you all know what to expect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology