Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 AM

3,954 posts, read 5,096,895 times

Advertisements

Here's one of the most inspirational teachings I've ever heard. It was first introduced to me as a young man and it literally changed my life. It's for that reason that I'm sharing it here. Go ahead and listen, what have you got lose, it's absolutely free.

The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale - YouTube

Great common sense advice packed in one 30 minute session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
what have you got lose,
A half an hour of my life. They all add up.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A half an hour of my life. They all add up.
Agreed but some people know how to multitask.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 AM

191 posts, read 262,830 times
Multitasking is for people who enjoy doing a bunch of things halfassed, IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,982,329 times
I didn't watch the video but these are some of the quotes for those who rather invest 2 minutes instead of 30.

- Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal.

- If a man is working toward a predetermined goal and knows where he’s going, that man is a success. If he’s not doing that, he’s a failure.

- “The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it’s conformity.” — Rollo May

- A success is anyone who is deliberately doing a predetermined job because that is what he decided to do. Only 1 out of 20 people have this.

- Here’s the key to success and the key to failure: We become what we think about.
“People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.” —

Earl Nightingale

Anyway I am not a fan of that godlike tone some self help writers use and speak as if they were in charge of the universe and know all the "truths" about life. He even feels qualified to tell others they are a "failure". That in my opinion is dangerous thinking.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Good for you to take the time to share this youtube, knowing there
would be "remarks".
I don't bother anymore.
I find it so so comical that these 'mysteries' are called "secret" when all
of these methods, formulas, instructions, advice, clues are ancient insights given to us
by many masters, poets, mystics and such.

What is the the strangest secret I discovered...lol...was that if I applied them...
THEY WORK!!!

For 6-7 years now my life is as I want it...wonderful things, people call
miracles, manifesting everyday....it would be the strangest thing if they
DIDN'T come about.
Thank you for the Youtube.
Can't get enough reminders.
Nice to know someone else is out there found out the Mysterious Secret
Formula for a Happy Life...here and in the Hereafter.

And I wasn't always this way, believe me!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Anyway I am not a fan of that godlike tone some self help writers use and speak as if they were in charge of the universe and know all the "truths" about life. He even feels qualified to tell others they are a "failure". That in my opinion is dangerous thinking.
I think you're missing the point. How can you achieve something if you don't know what it is? That's why most deep thinkers ranging from John F. Kennedy to John Wooden have attempted to define success. That way they'd know if they're on the right track to achieving it.

It all boils down to an ancient Chinese proverb, "a man who aims at nothing is certain to hit it".

Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,982,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I think you're missing the point. How can you achieve something if you don't know what it is? That's why most deep thinkers ranging from John F. Kennedy to John Wooden have attempted to define success. That way they'd know if they're on the right track to achieving it.

It all boils down to an ancient Chinese proverb, "a man who aims at nothing is certain to hit it".
Because everything is relative. Maybe some people don't feel like a failure if they don't achieve some specific goals. Who is he to tell others they are a failure? Who put this guy in charge of other people's lives and self definitions?

There are better ways to tell people how to increase their chances of achieving some goals. His word choice is poor and his absolute truths are unrealistic and just sound like cheap psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology