Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:24 AM

4 posts, read 62,140 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm thinking of moving and actually buying a house in Gresham, OR. What should i know, watch out for, look for? Also, people always make comments like, "I say no to Gresham." How come? Anything anyone can offer is much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 AM

58 posts, read 297,992 times
If you find somebody crapping on Gresham it's likely that it's somebody that either lives there and is unhappy with the overly fast growth of the city or somebody who once lived there and moved away and has come back to see what happened to the city.

It used to be that the "riff raff" trashy people line stopped at 181st and stark. Now its moved its way all the way out to 257th near mt hood community college.

The max train allowed the inner city uglies to get out to the burbs where they could infect what used to be a great city with their crime and crap.

If I were to move to gresham, the only areas I could recommend are SOUTHWEST gresham off of towle road hill, the persimmons area, barlow high school area, and/or the damascus/boring area.

Lastly, one thing I hate to see in gresham is that they started building UP as in apartments going in everywhere. With all due respect to those young people and older singles living in apartments for legit reasons, there's alot of people that live in apartments that bring an undesirable element to society. Gresham has TONS of new apt complexes. YUCK.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 62,140 times
thanks so much for your post! that really REALLy helps me understand what's going on in that area. I really appreciate your input!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,283 times
Angry Gresham farm is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootmeister View Post
Gresham has TONS of new apt complexes. YUCK.
Yup - we moved - to a condo in Honolulu from 1963 SW Myers Place. There were something like 3 large apartment complexes going up with in one half mile.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:24 PM

31 posts, read 203,615 times
Gresham is Growing fast..along with a High crime rate. The only thing I like about Gresham...is Wild OATs!!!! But that's only for those who like eating Organic foods.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 PM

29 posts, read 130,458 times
Well, my husband and I are moving to gresham in 2 weeks and we are going to be living in an apt complex. My husbands job has transferred him to Portland and we were told by his soon to be co-workers that the area is good but I have since heard the opposite on this forum. Its hard to choose a place to live from over 2000 miles away but the apt had what we were looking for. I expect that once we get to know Portland and surrounding areas we will move to a place that we like, then again we might actually like Gresham...who knows? not me!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 28,216 times
The east side of Gresham is a pretty nice place to live, but I do have to say that the Rockwood area of Gresham is like a little "East LA" and has gang and crime problems. I grew up in "East LA" all my life and I can see Rockwood turning into its' little brother. I think the problems with west Gresham are derived with the spill over from its' neighbor, northeast Portland.

I live in northeast Gresham and love it. The only problem with housing out here are the small lot sizes for the oversized homes they build on them. They are kinda expensive now, but the slow housing market is driving the prices down. Overall, I think you will find what you are looking for in a house around the northeast of southeast Gresham areas.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 137,124 times
just have three driveby shooting

Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,921 times
I say no to Gresham because I don't like gang fights and shootings. It's really too bad because this was a really nice town in the early 1900s. But now it's where all of the trashy people live. I'm sure that there are nice areas, but in general, it's not. The one advantage is that you are very close to the mountain.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasway View Post
Well, my husband and I are moving to gresham in 2 weeks and we are going to be living in an apt complex. My husbands job has transferred him to Portland and we were told by his soon to be co-workers that the area is good but I have since heard the opposite on this forum. Its hard to choose a place to live from over 2000 miles away but the apt had what we were looking for. I expect that once we get to know Portland and surrounding areas we will move to a place that we like, then again we might actually like Gresham...who knows? not me!

I'm really sorry for you. I hope that you're not in a long term lease!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland