Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,040 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving in there in a few months (not sure the exact date) but I was wondering since it's right on the water how bad do they get? What categories is it usually? And how many bad hurricanes go they get on average each year? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,933 times
What's a hurricane? Seriously you have a better chance of getting snow in PSL than a hurricane. Last tropical rain of any concern was four years ago. Before that we had the big ones in 2005 2006 that did not do much. Before that I believe it was about 30 years. Just stay west of US1 and you should be ok.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,078 times
Ok.. we DO have hurricanes that hit IN FLORIDA.. We have been fortunate in the last few years to have NONE..but

that doesn't mean we won't have one ....it just meant you PAY ATTENTION to the weather forecast when they start talking about them.

As of the moment, this time of year, we are just coming out of Hurricane Season.

BUT.. just like the people that have been hit by SANDY -- PAY ATTENTION and prepare when they say ITS COMING!

All kidding aside... hurricanes give PLENTY of warning - so if you watch the weather news, you will know well in advance.

I have another post on here with all the precautions of what you need to have IF. Just search HURRICANE

Otherwise, we have rain on one side of the street and the other side is dry

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
Hurricanes are a concern/reality of living in Florida.
No matter where you live or when the last time a certain area was hit.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,905 times
That's like asking how bad are Tornados in a specific area. It's weather- you never know when or where they are going to strike. Next year we could be the epicenter of 3 hurricanes, if the Lord is determined to make it so. You never know.

No matter where you live, Mother Nature is always an issue. It could be earthquakes, hail, blizzards, etc. I like taking my chances with a hurricane, because as FlaLadyB has posted, you pretty much know days in advance if you are in harm's way.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Reality states that there is a very low probibility that a storm will hit this area just like it is for the area Sandy hit. The two biggest differences are construction (Florida has storm code construction rules) New Jersey and New York had older homes build in flood prone areas and the people whe live there were not prepared.

Yes hurricanes hit Florida but this part of Florida it is very rare. If you want certainty then try Jacksonville. They have only had two storms come close in the past 100 years.

All you have to do to survive a Florida storm is to have food and water for 3 to 5 days, a couple of extra 5 gallon gas tanks to fill, a full tank of gas in your car and money at the ready. Generators are so cheap these days that it makes no sense to buy one unless the probibility of a storm hitting you is over 80%. If you have the other things in line you can find plenty generators here during a storm. Everyone trucks them in special for the season. Believe me these days it's like buying a Christmas tree at Christmas. Other than that you can have your gas grill ready to go as well.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,515,222 times
To be more specific.... I believe in 2004 Frances was a 2-3 that sat offshore for several days and wound up doing quite a bit of damage, probably mostly due to downed trees. I was without power for 11 days, and the plenty of damage along the intracoastal. The phone line that ran under the water broke, and it took 6 weeks for landline phones to come back. The eye was over Sewell point(Stuart for all intents and purposes.) Some places in PSL got more damage as the winds of the northern part of the hurricane are generally worse.

Right after Frances came Jeanne, smaller, faster, harder. Power out again. Since those two storms we now have more backups for everything. Grocery stores have generators so they don't lose their food, gas stations have generators so we can get gas right away. IF you are prepared, and have a built to code house, most of us start to get a little nervous at a high Cat 2 and think of evacuating at 3. We are always prepared, its become second nature like going back to school shopping.

Andrew was a tiny little thing that packed a punch at the last second.

I am more inclined than other posters to think that you WILL get a hurricane at some point in Florida. Its a fact of life here, to us. Still would rather have a hurricane than a tornado.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Yes but in your life time you will see very few and tornados are definately worse than hurricanes. I have been through both.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM

217 posts, read 371,883 times
Thirty years here and the only ones I was here for were Frances (power out for two weeks—our block was one of the last in our area to get repaired) and Jeanne (power out for one week).

I also remember awaiting Andrew. Right up to the last minute they weren't sure where exactly it was going to hit. We had covered our windows at home and at our business and were relieved that we didn't get hit. But we were appalled when we discovered the extent of the damage in Miami. Our little CBS house might have barely weathered it, but there was no question our entire business would have blown away, and we thought we had taken appropriate precautions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach