Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,968,950 times

Advertisements

Perhaps just a tad bit late for this Memorial Day, but an important message all the same.

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past
Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives
Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.
Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,180,270 times
We often take for granted what soldiers, sailers, airmen, etc, have suffered and died for and they don't get what they truly deserve in recognition.
That is a beautiful poem and made me think of my Dad because it fit the description of his life.
He was in WW2 and his division (42nd Rainbow Division) was assigned to Pattons 3rd Army toward the end of the war.
He was at the Battle of the Bulge and was a part of the group that went in to liberate the Dachau prison camp at one point.
Out of his original company of over 200 men only 13 survived the war. He went in in 1942 and was a combat infantryman for the duration. He came home, got married, raised me and my sister, worked hard to provide a life for Mom and kids. He lived to be 83 yrs old. But he always felt guilty about him being able to do that when so many of his buddys died. He always felt like he was no better than them and didn't deserve any special chance at life. I heard him tell an old neighbor one time when they were talking about the war that he didn't know why he was one of the lucky ones. I remember saying "Dad, maybe it was so I could have a hero". And he was to me. One of the very few times I ever heard him talk about the war. He wouldn't talk about it to anyone unless it was someone who had served in the war. The neighbor had. I think I was about 12 years old when that conversation took place. He was just an ordinary man that worked for an hourly wage all his life and never had riches or fame. But to me he was a great man and father. He died in 1996. I still miss him. He only had an 8th grade education but he knew more about life than most highly educated people ever will.
The Korean and Vietnam vets are dying off now and the WW2 vets are getting very thin. We owe all of our past and present military respect and gratitude.
I was in the Army during Vietnam. Two of my sons have been active duty and are still in the active reserves and have been for years. One was in Aftganistan for almost a year.
I am proud that 3 generations of my family have served our country. I don't ask for any recognition for anything that I have done. But I always thank any person I see in uniform or has been in the military for their service. Everyone of them has my upmost respect. We are indebted to each and every one of them.
GOD BLESS THE AMERICAN SOLDIER. THANK YOU FOR HELPING TO KEEP US FREE.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 AM

974 posts, read 1,589,912 times
You know what is sad. There is only 3 posts in this beautiful thread. Yet these other pointless political pandering posts are being stormed constantly. I salute you all and great poem.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,299,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
You know what is sad. There is only 3 posts in this beautiful thread. Yet these other pointless political pandering posts are being stormed constantly. I salute you all and great poem.

Great point.

Very Nice thread Synopsis

Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 AM

I know it is rude to bump threads, but this deserves to be at the top. Not covered up by other titles. Too many people forget the men and women that have died to make this country what it is today.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
We often take for granted what soldiers, sailers, airmen, etc, have suffered and died for and they don't get what they truly deserve in recognition.
That is a beautiful poem and made me think of my Dad because it fit the description of his life.
He was in WW2 and his division (42nd Rainbow Division) was assigned to Pattons 3rd Army toward the end of the war.
He was at the Battle of the Bulge and was a part of the group that went in to liberate the Dachau prison camp at one point.
Out of his original company of over 200 men only 13 survived the war. He went in in 1942 and was a combat infantryman for the duration. He came home, got married, raised me and my sister, worked hard to provide a life for Mom and kids. He lived to be 83 yrs old. But he always felt guilty about him being able to do that when so many of his buddys died. He always felt like he was no better than them and didn't deserve any special chance at life. I heard him tell an old neighbor one time when they were talking about the war that he didn't know why he was one of the lucky ones. I remember saying "Dad, maybe it was so I could have a hero". And he was to me. One of the very few times I ever heard him talk about the war. He wouldn't talk about it to anyone unless it was someone who had served in the war. The neighbor had. I think I was about 12 years old when that conversation took place. He was just an ordinary man that worked for an hourly wage all his life and never had riches or fame. But to me he was a great man and father. He died in 1996. I still miss him. He only had an 8th grade education but he knew more about life than most highly educated people ever will.
The Korean and Vietnam vets are dying off now and the WW2 vets are getting very thin. We owe all of our past and present military respect and gratitude.
I was in the Army during Vietnam. Two of my sons have been active duty and are still in the active reserves and have been for years. One was in Aftganistan for almost a year.
I am proud that 3 generations of my family have served our country. I don't ask for any recognition for anything that I have done. But I always thank any person I see in uniform or has been in the military for their service. Everyone of them has my upmost respect. We are indebted to each and every one of them.
GOD BLESS THE AMERICAN SOLDIER. THANK YOU FOR HELPING TO KEEP US FREE.
That's a beautiful story Robhu. God Bless you, your Father, and your sons for serving. I myself served and appreciate what all of the veterans have done for us, especially those that gave their lives in service to our country. They are and were the best of the best.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Sad, but very true Ciaerin. It appears that hate and divisiveness are more popular than honoring our fallen heroes.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,773,662 times
Don't know where you found this tribute, don't know if you wrote it, but I like it. So many times in a day, this country loses many heroes. Some went to war on the front lines and returned, or not. Some stayed in the rear, supporting those on the front lines, and are hardly heard from. Regardless, they all served in some capacity, contributed to the victory(ies). May God rest their souls, now. Thanks, it's a keeper, one that I shall pass on, elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Sad, but very true Ciaerin. It appears that hate and divisiveness are more popular than honoring our fallen heroes.

So it does appear Synopsis. Everyone tends to blame culture/race/religion for the divisions. I personallly blame peoples petty attitudes and inability to grasp what is right/wrong, good/bad, important/unimportant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies