Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,314,256 times

Advertisements

What is the ideal capitalist system in your opinion? I have always believed in laissez-faire but now that I have been working in the financial sector for a while, I have seen so many "legal" practices that are just unethical and totally outrageous, if not borderline illegal. If these same practices were done by an individual, he/she would be in jail. Is more governmental oversight a must or should financial companies be free to continue to do these practices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,848,450 times
the largest, and greediest corporation in the entire world, the united states federal government, fails at everything they do. we've not had a free market in decades. every time the government sticks their greedy noses into something, they ruin it.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,514,595 times
Maybe we should go back to government models used pre-FDR. We seemed to be a successful country then.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,249,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What is the ideal capitalist system in your opinion? I have always believed in laissez-faire but now that I have been working in the financial sector for a while, I have seen so many "legal" practices that are just unethical and totally outrageous, if not borderline illegal. If these same practices were done by an individual, he/she would be in jail. Is more governmental oversight a must or should financial companies be free to continue to do these practices?
Well, we all know totally free market does not work... we would have a handful of monopolists controlling everything like the earlier part of the last century... we also now see that overregulation (like the 70's and 80's) and underregulaion (like the 90's and '00's) don't work either... there's a sweet spot to find but unfortunately our body politic jerks left and right instead of swaying.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,314,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
the largest, and greediest corporation in the entire world, the united states federal government, fails at everything they do. we've not had a free market in decades. every time the government sticks their greedy noses into something, they ruin it.
I am going to share a common scenario here. Client makes a cash deposit for 50K, deposit is held by financial institution for 2 weeks, client was never notified of hold at the time of the deposit, client writes 4 checks to cover business expenses, checks clear before the 2 weeks and client is hit with 4 overdraft fees (35 bucks each), a total of $140, even though the money was there. At the same time, financial institution is earning interest for 2 weeks on client's cash deposit and client has no access to his own money for 2 weeks. I find this type of practice absolutely outrageous.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,249,557 times
Quote:
I am going to share a common scenario here. Client makes a cash deposit for 50K, deposit is held by financial institution for 2 weeks, client was never notified of hold at the time of the deposit, client writes 4 checks to cover business expenses, checks clear before the 2 weeks and client is hit with 4 overdraft fees (35 bucks each), a total of $140, even though the money was there. At the same time, financial institution is earning interest for 2 weeks on client's cash deposit and client has no access to his own money for 2 weeks. I find this type of practice absolutely outrageous.
Do you think something like that needs to be regulated or can the market decide that such behavior is so outrageous that customers will take their business elsewhere? That's the issue, no? When is it reasonable for the government to step in? What level of abuse is too much?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Republocrat - thank you for starting this topic. I will respond sometime soon.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,110 times
nt

Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,337,969 times
Quote:
Competition solves that problem quite handily.

But your Original Question is very tough.

So far, the only Bunker I can find to protect from that question, is Galt's Gulch.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Maybe we should go back to government models used pre-FDR. We seemed to be a successful country then.
Pre-FDR there were devastating financial crisis about every 15 years; 1797, 1807, 1819, 1837, 1857, 1873, 1893, 1907, and 1929. Following the regulations imposed during the New Deal, the US, while suffering from periodic downturns in the economy but as a result of the continued assault on the regulatory fabric we saw a return of the financial disasters that plagued the U.S. since its founding, the savings and loan failures, Enron and now the present crisis in the financial markets. In short a 50 year span of crisis free economics (oil embargo aside) do to the regulations put in place during the Great Depression, and you are calling for a return to the 19h and early 20th Century as a responsible alternative?!?

Heaven help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies