Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 PM

728 posts, read 1,678,282 times

Advertisements

I'm more outraged than the Russians. With our economy in uncertain times, our energy policy still undefined, and we pledge a huge financial package to a trouble making former USSR republic. Bush and Cheney will die trying to secure that Caspian oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,345,719 times
How much did they pledge to Florida ?

lol kidding I agree money grows on tree's and let's rebuild every infastructure except ours.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM

728 posts, read 1,678,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
How much did they pledge to Florida ?

lol kidding I agree money grows on tree's and let's rebuild every infastructure except ours.
I wonder how much the EU kicked in for this?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,315,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I'm more outraged than the Russians. With our economy in uncertain times, our energy policy still undefined, and we pledge a huge financial package to a trouble making former USSR republic. Bush and Cheney will die trying to secure that Caspian oil.
And in 30 years when you are being rushed to the hospital in a petrol-powered ambulance, you might just thank them.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,982,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
And in 30 years when you are being rushed to the hospital in a petrol-powered ambulance, you might just thank them.
Um...that oil is spoken for by the Chinese.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,315,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Lets put this into perspective. The annual US budget is somewhere around $2.5 trillion dollars. $1 billion represents less than .04%. As a comparison, an American worker earning $50,000 who donated the same percentage of his salary would have to cough up a whopping $20.00! Wow, twenty bucks. I spent that on food and coffee today.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,982,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Lets put this into perspective. The annual US budget is somewhere around $2.5 trillion dollars. $1 billion represents less than .04%. As a comparison, an American worker earning $50,000 who donated the same percentage of his salary would have to cough up a whopping $20.00! Wow, twenty bucks. I spent that on food and coffee today.
That $1B will turn to $2B, then 10B.

Did you really think Iraq was going to be solved with the 80B that first went in or anywhere near that?

Also, the government has no money to spend. It can simply print it.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times
Yet more wasted tax dollars on someone elses problem

Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,205,964 times
I certainly hope that Bush discovers some wisdom in the next and upcoming weeks, concerning actions in and around Georgia and its break away states.

This statement is one of the more harsh I have heard thus far.
Military help for Georgia is a 'declaration of war', says Moscow in extraordinary warning to the West| News | This is London
Quote:
Moscow has issued an extraordinary warning to the West that military assistance to Georgia for use against South Ossetia or Abkhazia would be viewed as a "declaration of war" by Russia.
In light of some recent findings concerning Georgia's attack on Ossetia, it seems the EU is starting to come to its own realizations and finding itself in a pickle between the US and Russia.

OSCE report points finger at Georgia for S. Ossetia crisis
RIA Novosti - World - OSCE report points finger at Georgia for S. Ossetia crisis
Quote:
BERLIN, August 30 (RIA Novosti) - The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe has accumulated evidence pointing to "numerous wrong decisions" made by Georgian leaders that led to a military crisis with Russia, Der Spiegel said on Saturday.

The OSCE report also contains suspected war crimes committed by Georgians, who ordered attacks on sleeping South Ossetian civilians.
Of course there is this...
RussiaToday : News : Georgia admits dropping cluster bombs
Georgia admits dropping cluster bombs

Quote:
The international organisation says it has received an official letter form Georgia’s Defence Ministry that acknowledges the use of the M85 cluster munition near the Roki tunnel linking South Ossetia with Russia.

The M85 is the same weapon that was used extensively by Israel in its 2006 war with Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Well it is pretty safe to assume that Israel is helping to arm Georgia as well, with this and other acknowledged arms sales.

So with the rising tensions in the region and what is more and more appearing to be a geopolitical coup by Russia to reassert its influence while the west remains occupied in Iraq and Afghanistan, these little tid bits are starting to pop up.

Russia may push forward with S-300 sales to Iran
RIA Novosti - Russia - Russia may push forward with S-300 sales to Iran
Quote:
MOSCOW, September 1 (RIA Novosti) - Russia may proceed with plans to sell advanced S-300 air defense systems to Iran under a secret contract believed to have been signed in 2005, a Russian analyst said on Monday
Then of course we can't forget about the strategic area of the Black Sea

Putin vows 'an answer' to NATO ships near Georgia
The Associated Press: Putin vows 'an answer' to NATO ships near Georgia (broken link)
Quote:
MOSCOW (AP) — Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Russia will respond calmly to an increase in NATO ships in the Black Sea in the aftermath of the short war with Georgia, but promised that "there will be an answer."
And my personal favorite...

Russia may eventually retrieve its military presence in Cuba and Vietnam
Russia may eventually retrieve its military presence in Cuba and Vietnam - Pravda.Ru
Quote:
Russian army bases in Cuba may still become a reality. Colonel-General Leonid Ivashov, the president of the Academy of Geopolitical Sciences, stated Monday that the retrieval of the Russian military presence in Cuba may become a real response to the ongoing increase of the US military and political pressure on Russia.
So with the cold war officially warmed back up and growing warmer by the day, Russia, the US and NATO aggressively posturing more and more, the response to this situation is to offer up a billion dollars in aid?

While I realize that a billion dollars isn't a great deal of money considering how we throw it around, but a billion here and a billion there, pretty soon it starts to add up to real money. So while we have a train of hurricanes bearing down on the US coasts, energy supplies tighter than ever, billions in waste in Iraq and Afghanistan, American soldiers getting sub standard medical treatment and care upon their return, and we are going to just toss a billion to Mikhail Saakashvili, the President of the banana republic who resembles Hugo Chavez of the Caspian, and hope it is spent well?

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,739,764 times
Well said, TN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies