Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:57 AM

8,820 posts, read 11,220,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No one forces anyone to tip. Is someong going to arrest you for not tipping?

There are many more countries in Asia and Europe that gladly accept tips, than the ones who don't.
It can be called just throwing free money at people. If you give random people stack of hundreds for free, I am certain 99% will just take it

The topic is tipping culture in USA have gone out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:01 AM

18,498 posts, read 7,196,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
But the number of extra hours that you had to work to wash the dishes by hand would have financially compensated for this, would it not?

I was part time if I remember correctly.

Machine was only broke down the first week.

They got a new one after that.

I worked that job all summer that year and made enough money to buy my first motorcycle.

All with no tips.

Last edited by FatBob96; Today at 10:15 AM..

Old Today, 10:04 AM

26,428 posts, read 22,596,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Uh, no.

Covid was 4 years ago, and that was when the govt was paying people to stay home so restaurants, like most businesses, had trouble finding workers. Not anymore.

Do you watch the news much?

Restaurants aren't complaining about not finding workers anymore. They complaining about the astronomical increase in their operating costs, specifically food costs, insurance, rent and especially labor. $20 per hour minimum in CA now.

For businesses like restaurants that operate on thin margins, around 3%, the increased costs are what is killing them.
When businesses don't pay enough for the worker to survive, taxpayers provide public housing, Medicaid, food assistance, etc. I don't subsidizing a business, so that people who eat out and pay less for their meals. Most meals out would cost 1/3 the amount if prepared at home - I know this for a fact!

Old Today, 10:12 AM

4,735 posts, read 5,068,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
It can be called just throwing free money at people. If you give random people stack of hundreds for free, I am certain 99% will just take it

Why does it concern you that I want to give the girl making my ice cream cone a dollar? Who are you to say she didn't earn it?

Also, are individual people tipping other people for services the only ones "throwing free money at people?" No, right? Don't our government and adjacent agencies "throw free money at people" all the time on a much larger scale? Shouldn't a larger proportionate share of your scorn, if you're going to be scornful, be directed at them?

Old Today, 10:16 AM

25,125 posts, read 9,846,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

You’re the one who mentioned other countries.

The point is: no one forces you to tip. Even in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The problem is that our tipping culture has become an entitlement and it is expected of you. Of course you can refuse to do it but you will be held in contempt for not doing so.
Being held in contempt by who? You walk out the door after paying the bill, not sit there and ask how the staff feels about you.

You even have the power to post a bad review if you feel something was wrong. Wow, the benefits of living in a free country.

Old Today, 10:16 AM

63,600 posts, read 29,767,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Why does it concern you that I want to give the girl making my ice cream cone a dollar? Who are you to say she didn't earn it?

Also, are individual people tipping other people for services the only ones "throwing free money at people?" No, right? Don't our government and adjacent agencies "throw free money at people" all the time on a much larger scale? Shouldn't a larger proportionate share of your scorn, if you're going to be scornful, be directed at them?
If you want to do that it's your proagative. However, it's people with your mindset that have created this tipping culture and are encouraging it to continue. It is setting an entitlement attitude for those working in the service industries and places pressure on the rest of us who are sick of this tipping culture. Are we forced to tip? No, but I'm trying to make a point here.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

25,125 posts, read 9,846,940 times
Quote:
It is setting an entitlement attitude for those working in the service industries and places pressure on the rest of us who are sick of this tipping culture.
It’s setting an incentive for good service for those who are willing and able to tip for good service.

If you feel pressure, you can eat at home or order from the drive through.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

Quote:
It’s setting an incentive for good service for those who are willing and able to tip for good service.

If you feel pressure, you can eat at home or order from the drive through.
Perhaps but I think that since its an expected and entitlement tipping culture I doubt that's really true in many cases. Heck, even the drive throughs expect tips in some areas. I'd just like to eat out now and then without being made to feel like a jackass for not tipping (although I do follow the social norms of doing so). What's wrong with their employers just paying them more instead of tipping it puts less pressure on everyone and I think more people would actually eat out more.

I's so out of control that I'm expecting to have to tip my doctor for examining me now, lol.

Old Today, 10:42 AM

9,495 posts, read 6,606,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
If the girl making your ice cream cone did not go above and beyond her typical job duties then you are in fact contributing to a culture of entitlement. Is you tipping of counter staff due to extraordinary service or is it being done to assuage some sense of guilt? I don't see any situations in which counter staff in food establishments could possibly go above and beyond, the work is just too simplistic.

Quote:
If you want to do that it's your proagative. However, it's people with your mindset that have created this tipping culture and are encouraging it to continue. It is setting an entitlement attitude for those working in the service industries and places pressure on the rest of us who are sick of this tipping culture. Are we forced to tip? No, but I'm trying to make a point here.
If someone is only doing the normal duties of their job and they are paid a standard (minimum or higher) wage they should not be tipped. Tipping is for rewarding performance that goes above and beyond what is normally expected. I've tipped a locksmith and a plumber for afterhours rush service calls because they were under no obligation of prior agreement to provide that service at that time.

Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You’re the one who mentioned other countries.

The point is: no one forces you to tip. Even in America.

Being held in contempt by who? You walk out the door after paying the bill, not sit there and ask how the staff feels about you.

You even have the power to post a bad review if you feel something was wrong. Wow, the benefits of living in a free country.
You would be held in contempt by the one serving you, that's who! They may not say anything but you know it would be there.

It doesn't matter to me how good or bad a service is I just don't like this tipping culture and keeps growing within every service industry type of job. What does living in a free country have to do with this? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Also, 15% used to be the standard for tipping now it's 25% or more in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies