Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times

Advertisements

LINK

When it's all said and done in order to get oil and gas prices down won't America need to increase our own oil supply?

LINK

Ethanol seems to be causing it's own problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,389 times
...and refineries. And we missed the boat on nuclear energy too.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 AM

403 posts, read 748,834 times
Look, if we are not going to use current technology to improve and conserve energy. If we are not going to raise our car mileage rate in the next 5 to 10 years.
Then, yes, we should drill in alaska and other areas.

Of course, we are going to improve on our energy consumption and use the current technology to reduce our energy consumption then we should not drill in alaska because we won't see that oil for at least a decade.

Neverthless, oil prices are going to do anytime soon and for the next year or two, we can do nothing about the oil prices---NOTHING AT ALL.

Also, lets stop blaming goverment for lack of refinery. The corporation didn't wanted to invest in refinery when the oil was under $25 dollars. Why the hell should they, it was no of no use to invest millions for the simple purpose of increase oil supply---which would reduce oil prices and their profit.

Also, could people on the left stop crying about nuclear technology. We need it. Yes, I know we should use solar and wind because they are unlimited resources but why don't you people understand that nuclear technology should be given a chance(it has worked in france) and besides its carbon footprint is too darn small----isn't that the whole point of moving away form oil and coal.

On the ethnonal--------most of the rise in corn prices is due to problems with harvest in 2005,2006 and 2007. Its not about ethonal but of course our agriculture tariff and restriction do help raise the price of food(in U.S) along with the fact that our agriculture welfare program to U.s Farmers destroy lives of farms in third world countries.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by jessica1000
Quote:
Also, could people on the left stop crying about nuclear technology. We need it.
I guess you need it as much as junkies need their drugs?
But do these junkies truly need their drugs or is it just their addiction speaking?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,803 times
80 trillion cubic feet of natural gas is nothing. World consumption of natural gas is 100 trillion cubic feet per year. That means those untapped areas in the US would only provide the world with less than a year's worth of natural gas- which would have very little impact on the price. The reality is that the world is running out of fossil fuels faster than any politician will admit, because they are afraid of the consequences if they tell the truth.

Drilling in the US is not in the US long-term best interests. In a post-Peak world, whoever has the most fuel left over will win and will be able to dominate, short of some miraculous new energy source being discovered. Let Saudi Arabia and Iran use up their oil first. The US will tap reserves at their own peril.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:00 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by jessica1000I guess you need it as much as junkies need their drugs?
But do these junkies truly need their drugs or is it just their addiction speaking?

What an unintelligent post! How can you possibly equate drug addiction to the need for nuclear power???

Nuclear power is much more efficient than burning coal, and much less harmful to the environment. And its much more powerful than "green energy". Its really the best of both worlds. The only downside is nuclear waste but that is why you bury it deep underground. The media has made people believe nuclear power is dangerous but lets take a look at the 2 major disasters referred to. 1. Chernobyl-was ran by the Soviet Union, enough said.
2. 3 mile Island-"disaster" was contained excellently and I dont think anyone even died.

Fear of nuclear power is irrational.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by decafdave
Quote:
What an unintelligent post! How can you possibly equate drug addiction to the need for nuclear power???
Because people need nuclear power as much as they need drugs.
Humanity does not need nuclear power; they only believe that they do.

Quote:
I do not fear nuclear power, I only fear humanity's hubris & overconfidence.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 AM

70 posts, read 110,311 times
Drilling for more oil is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Now is the time to lower our energy usage, and eventually move away from plastics. Americans need to stop consuming/wasting more than all the other industrial nations. We also need to make a concerted effort to move towards mass transit, namely trains. We totally missed to boat on that!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 AM

70 posts, read 110,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

Nuclear power is much more efficient than burning coal, and much less harmful to the environment. And its much more powerful than "green energy". Its really the best of both worlds. The only downside is nuclear waste but that is why you bury it deep underground. The media has made people believe nuclear power is dangerous but lets take a look at the 2 major disasters referred to. 1. Chernobyl-was ran by the Soviet Union, enough said.
2. 3 mile Island-"disaster" was contained excellently and I dont think anyone even died.

Yeah so lets bury highly radioactive waste under the ground so we can pollute the planet even more. I guess if its out of site its out of mind right? At least until it ends up springing a leak and gets into the ground water.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,189,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
LINK

When it's all said and done in order to get oil and gas prices down won't America need to increase our own oil supply?

LINK

Ethanol seems to be causing it's own problems.
They are drilling and in fact, just down the road from me there was a large gas deposit discovered (for this area) to which the land owners are now "retired"

The entire Cumberland plateau region has seen a huge increase in drilling activity and a revisiting of older test wells that were drilled in the 1970's and 1980's since prices make the low yield wells here more feasible. I have sent away to the state of Tennessee and the Tennessee Gas and Oil Association to get the stats on my gas well to see whether it is feasible to tap. Even if not for cash, the well is drilled and could provide all my heating and cooking needs driving down my already very low operating cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies